NCL's Discover Rio Dulce excursion

philamike

Most of the commentary here about tours in this area have focused on Go with Gus Tours, http://www.gowithgustours.com/. The feedback for his tour has been overwhelming positive. Having toured with Gus in November 2007 I agree with the consensus, and his tour of the Rio Dulce area and Livingston made Santo Tomas de Castilla one of our favorite ports.

That being said, I am sure that NCL has partnered with a reputable tour operator who will visit the same areas. I would very much consider a tour to these locales while in Santo Tomas. The only other tours I might consider are to the Mayan ruins, either at Quirigua, Copan, or Tikal (though the last two are accessed by air making the tours very expensive). Even so, I would likely put Rio Dulce ahead of them. Traveling by lancha into a very remote part of this continent, observing a different ecology, a different society, is quite fascinating. Livingston is one of those places inaccessible by highway . . . and having been to several such highway-isolated communities (largely in Canada) this is certainly one of the most interesting with its mix of peoples and commerce.

• 4 weeks later...

hey philamike,

we're also considering the "Discover Rio Dulce" excursion and we're comparing it to the tour offered by Happy Fish "Tour of Rio Dulce Canyon/Livingston".

Both are comparable in price around $49-50. I'm kinda leaning towards the NCL operated tour b/c they gurantee their excursion (meaning you can't get left behind). Plus if anything happens on the tour (something bad or unforseeable, the cruise will take some sort of responsibility: maybe offer refunds).

On the otherside of the coin, cruise operated tours are often over crowded and rushed.

still undecided over here.......

hey philamike,

we're also considering the "Discover Rio Dulce" excursion and we're comparing it to the tour offered by Happy Fish "Tour of Rio Dulce Canyon/Livingston".

Both are comparable in price around $49-50. I'm kinda leaning towards the NCL operated tour b/c they gurantee their excursion (meaning you can't get left behind). Plus if anything happens on the tour (something bad or unforseeable, the cruise will take some sort of responsibility: maybe offer refunds).

On the otherside of the coin, cruise operated tours are often over crowded and rushed.

still undecided over here.......

My friend and I did book the tour through NCL. Let me know what you decide to do. :-)

Hi where did you get the price of $50 - NCL are quoting $125 and Gus Tours $85 on their web site - have I missed something or is it a different tour?

NCL does have a few versions that include a Rio Dulce tour. The one I'm referencing is this one:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDetails.html?groupId=TDE_23

- Mike :-)

• 1 month later...
I've also been looking at the Discover Rio Dulce tour with NCL but it's not on the excursion website. Does this mean it is booked solid for my sailing or that they aren't offering it for my sailing?

I don't know if that means it's sold out, but definitely check with the Excursions Desk after you board. Cruises typically keep excursion slots open for those who don't/can't book in advance online. I know some of my fellow cruisers did a very similar excursion with Go With Gus Tours (http://www.gowithgustours.com/) and enjoyed it a lot.

I don't know if that means it's sold out, but definitely check with the Excursions Desk after you board. Cruises typically keep excursion slots open for those who don't/can't book in advance online. I know some of my fellow cruisers did a very similar excursion with Go With Gus Tours (http://www.gowithgustours.com/) and enjoyed it a lot.

So Mike, you said in an earlier post that you booked thru NCL. Have you completed your trip yet? Do you have a review of the excursion?

Thanks

So Mike, you said in an earlier post that you booked thru NCL. Have you completed your trip yet? Do you have a review of the excursion?

Yes, I sailed during New Year's. My port reviews are posted here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/portreviews.cfm?EntryID=62021

(CC doesn't have Santo Tomas de Castilla as a port, so I included that info under Belize City...)

Thanks for taking time to review your trip. I saw reviews of this excursion on NCL site that mentioned the boat is too fast and the waters a little rough for that speed. But, you made no mention of that so must have been fine for you.

Thanks again for all the info.

We were on the January 31st NCL Spirit cruise and did the Discover Rio Dulce Tour. We would highly recommend it due to the beautiful scenery. Be prepared for a very bumpy boat ride to start off, however! The boats hold about 20 people – they have a roof over the top for shade, but open sides, and bench type seats seating four across. It took about 30 minutes to get from where the ship is docked to the mouth of the Rio Dulce and that 30 minutes consisted of a fast, rough, bone-jarring ride. After that, we slowed down and were able to enjoy the ride and scenery. Our favorite spot was a water lily garden, where young children (about 4-8 years old) came up in canoes to try to sell us trinkets or have their pictures taken – they were so cute, we were more than happy to oblige (be sure to bring some $1 bills). We stopped at a dock/home nearby and got out for a few minutes to use the rustic facilities and get a drink and/or snack (including tortillas made over the fire). We then had a stop in Livingston for a little over an hour before heading back on the bumpy ride to the ship. You were free to wander as you wished – we followed the tour guide around, visiting a church and then going to a local hotel where a group of young people performed dances at noon.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great info on Guatemala. We are trying to decide what to do when we go there in December. When you were in Livingston, where the locals aggressive? I hate getting off the ship in Jamaica and Nassau because the locals won't leave us alone. I don't mind being approached, and may even buy something, but when I say no thanks, I mean no! I love the idea of the river cruise and going to an isolated city to see the real culture of the country and meeting with the locals but want to feel safe. Thanks for any input you have.

• 3 weeks later...
I've also been looking at the Discover Rio Dulce tour with NCL but it's not on the excursion website. Does this mean it is booked solid for my sailing or that they aren't offering it for my sailing?

Yes, I noticed that too so I called NCL and was told it is sold out for our date. I was told to check the website again before the cruise to see if there are any cancellations (it will reappear). Otherwise, the lady recommended we book our next choice so we are not stuck with a less desirable excursion. I've heard there are private companies that offer the same tour for a much cheaper price.

Archived