White water rafting

cindygad

We recommend the water rafting for a fun filled day. The excursion was top notch from the new airconditioned bus, facility to change and eat, to the friendly guides.There were 6-8 people in the rafts with a guide.We were on the river for about 2 hours with a break in the middle for fresh fruit. Type 3 rapids. My husband is not a strong swimmer and was a little worried at first. The safety of everyone is shown by how the excursion is ran. First class all the way. My husband relaxed and admits to having a ball. Lunch was included when we got back to their facility along with showers and a place to wash off watershoes or sandles. I recommend watershoes for better footing.

Cindy

Cindy, such a good name!

I want to do this excursion also. I would book it through Celebrity. Can you give us some details. How far did you drive, how intense are the rapids, did your guide tell you info about Costa Rica, etc.

Thanks for your information. I have had a hard time finding out about this excursion.

Cindy"

We will be on Horizon March 25-April 4....

Need to know:

1. Who did you book with?

2. Were you returned to ship in a timely manner?

3. Not physically fit...but, able...and do not panic in stress...but, cannot endure a lot of oaring etc...will it work for me...(arthritic)Can swim

4. Did they have a kayak in the water for rescue?

5. What do you totally recommend for an older person...

6. Will be there in spring...heat? humidity?

Thanks a lot...Glad you got to do this...wish I had been able to sooner...

Jan

Vossjemi, We booked through celebrity. We went to Reventazon River Class 111 rapids.

CindySue, We were on Summit and booked through celebrity. Drove 1 hour to the private place to change. It was a 10 min bus ride to river from there. Our guide happened to be from Colorado. He lives there 10 months of the year. Eric, our guide gave us lots of information about Costa Rica. The other guides were from the area and spoke great English.

Jan03228,

1. Booked through celebrity web site before boarding.

2. It was a ship excursion so did not have to worry about getting back on time. Had plenty of time to shop at flee market on dock. Had some beautful wood products at flee market.

3. My husband and I are both 47 and I would say about average fit. My husband is just a fair swimmer but he felt safe. I have arthritic hands and I did not find oaring too difficult. It was not for very long periods at a time.

4. Yes there was a kayak in the water fo rescue. There was only one person who fell out from another raft. He was rescued easily. They call them swimmers, the ones who fall out.

5. All ages with a few in late 60's.

6. It is hot there but do not notice when on the water and the bus was a new airconditioned bus.

Hopes this helps,

Cindy

Thanks for the quick review and details. I am signed up for this on 2/20. Sounds like a good time. I have done these types of raft trips in Idaho, Montana, Arizona, and California. They are fun and not that physical. I think the most difficult part is walking down to the river. Erik

Funny thing,

we did the rafting through RCCL and it was "supposed" to be class 3,

turned out to be between 1 and 2.

We DIDN"T get any fruit during the "leg-stretch" break.

If we were to do it again,

we'd do it independently.

Be VERY careful of the food offered at the changing area, I got VIOLENTLY ill probably from the chicken offered at lunch. My son ate everything I did EXCEPT the chicken so that's what we pegged as the culprit.. took 5 hrs to strike (the usually food poisoning timetable).

Carolyn

Thank you Cindy....you gave me lots of good info...

How much of a walk did you have to do to get to the river?

Was it difficult?

I am limited by arthritis...etc..(oh ok..and age)

but, really want to do this...

Again..thanks ...

Jan

Jano3228,

From the bus to rafts about 200 yards easy walking, It was muddy for it had rained day before. Little bit tricky getting to raft on water down small slope but if you need help they would help you.

Cindy

Caribbeanadventure. I tried to email but your public profile says you aren't accepting emails. I'm very much interested in the Costa Rican white water rafting. Need to know who you booked with and how to contact them. I'll be on the Feb11th sailing of the Celebrity Horizon. Could you please post the information or email me. Prices would be nice too. Thanks very much.

Cindy,

Think you had a "better" rapid experience than us since it had just rained the day before. The rapids, which were supposed to be class 3 were actually going at a 1-2 level when were were there on Dec. 30th. Who ever is going w/Rios Tropicales, be VERY CAREFUL of what you eat and drink at the lodge area for lunch. If possible, just travel w/some immodium "just in case" (this way you probably won't need it). I got VIOLENTLY ill 6 hrs after eating there... very typical symptoms of food poisoning (from what MDs have told me). The rafting is a great tour.

Carolyn

Cmjaffe,

Our guide did say that the rapids vary according to the rain. We are not experienced rafters and did not find them to be that difficult.Sorry to hear about the food poisioning. We did not eat chicken but found the rice and beans, salad and salsa and other food tasty. We were impressed with how clean the facility was.

Cindy

Thanks for the info. Is it ok for an 8 year old? my DH would love to try the rapids, but dear old mom here is terrified something would happen to our "baby". (I was NEVER like this until I had my child). Is it safe for her? How cold is the water? I would much rather do it in a warmer spot than say in Colorado or some place where the water is freezing no matter what time of year it is. Please let me know asap cause we cruise on march 21st. Thanks.Linda

Camella,

This is from the celebrity brochure, children under the age of 12 years may not participate in this tour and a parent or guardian must accompay persons under the age of 18.Sorry but I agree a 8 year old would be too small to tuck legs under to stay in raft.

Cindy

Cindygad,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe we can do it solo. We went on a Baltic cruise this summer and knew our 8 year old wouldn't like some of the things, so we left her at the kids camp and she had a ball. We were totally at ease knowing she was in the good hands of the crew at the kids center. Thanks again for the info. Linda

Archived