Meals in suites

robgvic

I understand you can order from the restaurant menus when in suites. Does anyone know if everything you order comes at the same time or do they spread it out.

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. Is it worth it or is it better to eat in the dining room?

When you order any regular meal from room service off the dining room menu (when staying in a full suite), it is all delivered at once. If you want it served course by course, then you would have to order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner in the evening for it to be served at a cost of $100 per couple.

We enjoy dining on our balcony several times on a cruise, but I would not suggest ordering ice cream or any frozen dessert. ;)

I understand you can order from the restaurant menus when in suites. Does anyone know if everything you order comes at the same time or do they spread it out.

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. Is it worth it or is it better to eat in the dining room?

Dining room menus, yes; but you may not order from the specialty restaurants for dining in your suite.

Mike:)

On our last cruise, we got upgraded to the Family Suite. We ordered dinner to our room on the second formal night because we didn't want to get dressed up. Everything was delivered at once except the souffles which we ordered for dessert. They did bring those later.

Most of us had the Beef Wellington, and I was impressed that it was delivered hot. On the other hand, we were a family of four and it required quite a lot of plates and dishes to deliver appetizers, salads and main courses -- even with the dessert following later. Also, it's not like they whisk all the dirty dishes away immediately. You have to wait until they have a chance to get to them, which can be many hours later (in our case, about 5 hours later). They don't like you to pile up a bunch of used dishes in the hallway.

It was nice to try, but in the (unlikely) event I get upgraded to a suite again, I probably wouldn't do it. To me it sounded better in theory than it was in practice. I prefer to get dressed up and get waited on in a leisurely fashion in the dining room. Eating in your room is just eating, not dining, IMHO. Also, because our balcony was too windy to use, the four of us had to spread out eating in different spots -- the coffee table, the desk, etc. Then in 15 minutes you're done and have a pile of dirty dishes. For me, I'd prefer the MDR or specialty restaurant, or I'd like to try the Ultimate Balcony Dining (which wasn't an option for us with the Family Suite).

Why was it not available if you were in a suite?

The problem is that the balcony on the Family Suite is too windy to use if the ship is moving. If you look on the deckplan, you will see that the Family Suite (in our case, D100 and D104 on the Sapphire) is as far forward as you can go. There is no shielding from the wind on the balcony. It's a major drawback to this location. I posted a review and photos of this suite here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight=d104

The problem is that the balcony on the Family Suite is too windy to use if the ship is moving. If you look on the deckplan, you will see that the Family Suite (in our case, D100 and D104 on the Sapphire) is as far forward as you can go. There is no shielding from the wind on the balcony. It's a major drawback to this location. I posted a review and photos of this suite here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight=d104

I think they can set a table up in the cabin, can't they?

Sure. We have had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner when the weather became unsuitable and they gladly set it up in the suite.

Presumably if we had ordered the Ultimate Balcony Dining in the Family Suite, they would've done that. I have to admit, that was not an option that we considered. But getting back to the OP's original question about ordering dinner in the suite from the restaurant menu, I still think that it's not nearly as nice as eating at a leisurely pace in the dining room. As I said before, I think it sounds better than it really is. I'd be interested to hear the point of view of others who are fans of ordering dinner in suite (not UBD). Maybe part of the problem was that there were 4 of us, so it made for a big pile of dishes.:o

Presumably if we had ordered the Ultimate Balcony Dining in the Family Suite, they would've done that. I have to admit, that was not an option that we considered. But getting back to the OP's original question about ordering dinner in the suite from the restaurant menu, I still think that it's not nearly as nice as eating at a leisurely pace in the dining room. As I said before, I think it sounds better than it really is. I'd be interested to hear the point of view of others who are fans of ordering dinner in suite (not UBD). Maybe part of the problem was that there were 4 of us, so it made for a big pile of dishes.:o

Oh I completely agree. It is not like being served by a good waiter at all. And if you forget to order salt, pepper, butter, cocktail sauce, etc it will not appear. They bring only what you specifically name.

We always travel with another couple in an adjoining suite so when we dine ensuite there is a considerable pile of dishes.

We have found it to be very convenient for breakfast up until Princess started the breakfast at Sabatini's and haven't bothered with ordering in since then.

Archived