Oasis in Motion: Her Arrival and 1st Departure

Thameth

So these are still a work in progress but I can't hold back from sharing them any longer hehe.

These are timelapses of Oasis' arrival and 1st departure from Port Everglades. They still need alot of editing and music to get the final look I'm working on but I think some people would appreciate seeing the work in progress.

The video's below are directly taken from the camera as it was shot that day, so you'll notice jumps, shaking, and other things that won't be in the final video. These are basically "proofs" that I render out initially for me to see what I captured and what I have to work with. They were shot with my Canon DSLR camera from the 17th st Bridge:

4101161348_5472c97c09.jpg

It may be a few weeks before I can finish the timelapses so that's why I'm posting these now, I'll post the final version's when they're done.

These are presented in 720p HD, the final versions will be 1080p. You will more than likely need a newer computer to view it smoothly. If you are having trouble viewing it smoothly then please choose the "Web" or "iPod/DVD" quality versions. Thanx and let me know what you think.

Oasis Arrival to Port Everglades:

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/1870760_YpC4D#712280411_eqgDb-A-LB

Oasis first Departure from Port Everglades at Night:

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/1870760_YpC4D#718989128_HsHR8-A-LB

Sorry, I accidently broke the links in the first post moving some things around. Here are the new links (I really wish they would let you edit your original posts.... :mad::confused:):

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/5338302_vJV7R#712280411_eqgDb-A-LB

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/5338302_vJV7R#718989128_HsHR8-A-LB

Sorry, I accidently broke the links in the first post moving some things around. Here are the new links (I really wish they would let you edit your original posts.... :mad::confused:):

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/5338302_vJV7R#712280411_eqgDb-A-LB

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/5338302_vJV7R#718989128_HsHR8-A-LB

VERY COOL !!! Especially the night departure. Liked the way, speeded up, it looked like a near collision at 0:35. Any idea what the other ship was?

~ Judy

Thanx everybody, i hope you guys like the final version even more. Currently going over the loooong process of finding music...

can you tell how long it took to tie up to the pier in the first video? (in real time?)

it seemed like they took quite a while to get things "just so". Not too suprising that it was the first time with the real ship for the crew and the long shoremen.

Aloha,

John

VERY COOL !!! Especially the night departure. Liked the way, speeded up, it looked like a near collision at 0:35. Any idea what the other ship was?

~ Judy

That was the Discovery coming in just before 10pm, I was very surprised that Oasis after sitting for almost 3hrs over its initial departure time of 7:30p suddenly rushed into the middle of its terminal area while the Discover came into the inlet. But, as you can see the Discovery captain pulled a hell of a quick turn and reverse to get out of Oasis's way!

It looks close in the timelapse due to the angle and focal length of the lens but I'm guessing they were pretty far apart from each other. I was also surprised by Oasis' turning maneuver, but it was a hell of a show from my location. I had no clue what she was doing for a while there, almost looked like she was going to back out the inlet.... :lol:

can you tell how long it took to tie up to the pier in the first video? (in real time?)

it seemed like they took quite a while to get things "just so". Not too suprising that it was the first time with the real ship for the crew and the long shoremen.

Aloha,

John

Each photo is time stamped so I could go back and get the exact time it took. But from watching it real time more than a few of us were wondering why it was taking so long even with it being her first time. But then Scott Wilson, an architect that worked on the ship, mentioned that she was probably trying to get the perfect placement for the Central Park crane so they were probably inching her forward.

I'm guessing it took almost 30min once she pulled along side the dock for her to finally tie up.You can get a slightly better look with this lower quality timelapse I took with my smaller camera:

http://JosephRegner.smugmug.com/gallery/5338302_vJV7R#712085885_imTLL-A-LB

Ok, so i just pulled up the raw images and I guess I could say she pulled up beside the dock at 8:19am. By the last image in the sequence she still wasn't fully tied up to the dock and using her thrusters and azipods to hold her up against it at 9:08a. She settled against the dock around 8:57a.

Thank you sooooo much for posting! I loved when she sailed out how you could see the Boardwalk beautifully ;-) Thanks again and I can't wait to the final version. For the departure you could use Sail Away by Enya :p

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you. Hehe I'm very tempted to use Sail Away but it would just be so "cliche" :D

Ok, so i just pulled up the raw images and I guess I could say she pulled up beside the dock at 8:19am. By the last image in the sequence she still wasn't fully tied up to the dock and using her thrusters and azipods to hold her up against it at 9:08a. She settled against the dock around 8:57a.

Thanks for taking the time to check the times out! It will be curious to see how the docking times change (hopefully shorten) over the next couple of weeks; not just at Port Everglades, but at the other ports as well

I would expect that the harbor pilots at PE have had training on the simulator, but I wonder about the other ports.

Aloha,

John

Bravo bravo, i loved the night-time depature...Ab-Fab lol

I like the bit with the Discovery coming in and then making a sharp get away from being crushed by Oasis's bum lol but she is magnificent, i too thought that she was going to back out of the port and inlet. but the fact that she turned around and then went off forward....very confusing, why woud she not turn in the port?

CK x

Wow, it's amazing to see how much she rocks from side to side as they try to dock. Onboard it probably feels like she remains perfectly level but the time-lapse shows the rocking. Anyone know how much rocking other ships have?

If I have time I'll have to find some of my old timelapses from years ago with my small pocket camera from other ports. It shows that the slight rocking as they pull up to the dock to tie up is perfectly normal and most ships do it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fine adjustments as they pull up to the dock with the thrusters and azipods facing sideways.

Thanx everybody, i hope you guys like the final version even more. Currently going over the loooong process of finding music...

WA

We enjoyed seeing your time lapse. We are so excited about our cruise one Dec. 5. Seeing the ship at night was great. You did a wonderful job. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day and night to do this,and posting it for us. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Danny and Mary Ann

Thameth, I can't begin to tell you how beautiful both the arrival and departure first cuts. I can't imagine what the final products will be like. I sure hope you will post them on CC.

I've sent them to several people and everyone has been totally amazed.

As Larry David would say, "Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good." :)

Archived