Questions about River Cruising???

mickym

We have just booked our first river cruise for next July. We will be doing the Paris and the Heart of Europe cruise with Uniworld. We have taken several ocean cruises but have never been on or known anyone who has been on a river cruise so have lots of questions.

Where or how do I find out what optional tours are available on our cruise?

How do I find out about going early and adding a night in Paris?

Have any of you taken advantage of the bicycles and done biking on any of these stops?

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions and your help is so appreciated!!

I'm very excited and looking so forward to some beautiful sights!

Hi Mic.... You'll really enjoy your Uniworld cruise.

I have done 2 with them and was thrilled with the quality of everything onboard.

If you on to your tour on the Uniworld site and go into the "Day to Day" itinerary,

you will find a couple of optional tours.

There doesn't appear to be many on your cruise and there really isn't many on other Uniworld cruises.

I found the included tours were very good and usually covered most of the main

points in each town.

The Schonbrunn Palace and the Concert is optional in Vienna.

Most of our ship did both and really enjoyed them.

As far as going early into Paris, I would definately do at least one, if not a few more.

There is so much to see in Paris and your first day you'll be very tired and jet lagged from the overnight flight.

If you booked through an agent, just have her get you a hotel pkg. in Paris.

If not then check Expedia or another online site selling hotels and you'll find something.

A very good location for a hotel in Paris is in "The Latin Quarter".

You'll have a great time on your cruise...

We have just booked our first river cruise for next July. We will be doing the Paris and the Heart of Europe cruise with Uniworld. We have taken several ocean cruises but have never been on or known anyone who has been on a river cruise so have lots of questions.

Have any of you taken advantage of the bicycles and done biking on any of these stops?

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions and your help is so appreciated!!

I'm very excited and looking so forward to some beautiful sights!

You might start with the company you booked your cruise with!!

Check your lines website or e-mail them . In lots of places there are inclusive walking tours. Other stops give you choice of several inclusive Options. Also in Vienna and one other port optional extra tours at a $ cost . Highlights we found (i) day trip to Cessny Krumlov in the Czech Republic ex Passau stop, (ii) Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, (iii) optional extra cost evening Mozart/Strauss nightime concert in Vienna at Hoffburg Palace .

Talk to your travel agent, you need 2 -3 days in Paris really if you have not been there before. Recommend Hotel Diana in the Sorbonne area, Google their website and book on line.

Yes. There are not that many opportunities to really use the bikes. We used them on two occasions . (i) 12 kms out and back from one stop to a full size Parthenon on the banks high above the River and (ii) 40 kms odd between Melk/Durnstein alongside the river through rural villages and vineyards - just magical . Pump up the tyres though, as most boats maintain no pressure in the tyres which makes for hard riding . Also take along a bottle of drinking water, albeit there are no water bottle holders on the bikes.

quote.gif

Thank you for the responses! All very helpful. The bike in Melk sounds really good. I did find the optional tours on Uniworld web site but no prices. Definitely plan to do the concert in Vienna. So hard to know which are must dos and which could be passed on. Well, we have plenty of time and the planning is half the fun.

Thanks again for the help!

Archived