private tours

Blazer2

Has anyone booked day tours through viator.com? How reliable are they, getting back at the scheduled time?

Not that we don't do ship tours, but these tours cover more and are cheaper.

Looking at an 8 hr tour in Hobart to the penal colony.

Thanks,

Becky in Oregon

I think viator is just a booking service, so the tours are dependant on the individual operator.

On the whole, local tourism operators will do their best if it's a customised service, but if you're just booking a regular tour (e.g. bus) that takes 20+ people, you'd want to make sure your arrangements will work yourself as they can't cater so well to specific needs.

I think viator is just a booking service, so the tours are dependant on the individual operator.

On the whole, local tourism operators will do their best if it's a customised service, but if you're just booking a regular tour (e.g. bus) that takes 20+ people, you'd want to make sure your arrangements will work yourself as they can't cater so well to specific needs.

This is 100% correct. Viatour are one of many brokerage services available to tour operators. The TO's upload their inventory and then Viatour take a slice when the booking is confirmed. Viatour are not the tour provider so its a good idea to check who is. If you want something customised or out of the ordinary, as The Big M says, you'd be much better off speaking direct to the TO(s) concerned.

Have used Viator in many cities around the world. Always quite satisfied. They are a broker but seem to have good quality control. Keep in mind they are not exclusive to cruise passengers. They cater mostly to land tourists. You must be sure about return times, etc.

We've used Viator but only during land stay days and they've been just fine. For my upcoming Australia cruise I am finding the these regularly scheduled tours are just not fitting into the ship's time. Many ship's ask that you be on board as early as an hours before scheduled departure time. And also weather or eve harbor traffic can play havoc with ship's schedules causing late docking or even early departure.

I appreciate you input. The tour we are looking at says arrives back at approx. 5pm. The ship is scheduled to depart at 6pm. Should be ok, but know there is always the unexpected.

Wish I could find more who are interested and then we could have some sway with the company to stay on it's schedule.

Thanks again.

Archived