London/Southampton & Brooklyn Transfers

twroths

There had been a few posts about Cunard vs. private transfers on here so I thought I would share my experiences - both good and bad.

In Nov 08, my partner and I chose the "Cunard Luxury Coach Transfer" from the London Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. The cost was $180 plus the cost of a cab from our hotel to Victoria. It was, in a word, horrific and a terrible way to start the trip. More details if you would like.

This year we chose Smiths for Airports (www.smithsforairports.co.uk) and it was a dream. When I made the reservation I had told them we were meeting QM2 and there was be quite a bit of luggage. The driver was early, had a very nice Mercedes station wagon that was more than comfortable for us and all our bags. We were at the pier in less than 2 hours and not the least bit stressed. The cost was $193. Not even a question of what to do next time.

Last year, in Brooklyn, my TA booked a reserved car to the tune of $130 which I thought was expensive, but at the time I didn't know any better. This year we called Arecibo Car Company (www.arecibocc.com). We called them while in line at Immigration and the car was there in less than 10 minutes. $30 to LaGuardia. We were off the ship, to LaGuardia, checked in, and through security in less than an hour.

Just a side note, we live in Chicago and when there is extra luggage involved, we use Chicago Private Car (http://chicagoprivatecars.com/).

Very nice folks, clean cars, pleasant drivers and about $5-10 more than a cab. Again, so worth it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Tom

Earlier this month, having seen their name on the Cunard Board - we booked Lincoln Limousines for journey to Brooklyn Terminal from W 36 Street.

I had seen posts which said that most NY Taxis don't know the way, and taken advice to have with me Mapquest route and instructions.

Booking by phone was easy, price quoted $58 including 20% tip - the dispatcher assured me their drivers knew the way intimately.

According to Mapquest, the distance was 7.5 miles, and approx 18 minutes mid-morning.

The car appeared on time, and we asked the driver if he knew the way. "Of course" he said. We gave him the Mapquest which he ignored.

Instead of going West and taking the no-toll Battery Tunnel, he drove East all the way across the city, taking the tolled Queens Midtown Tunnel, into long Island - then down the 278 Southwards.

But he came off too early, and for the next half an hour we drove through miles of back streets, industrial areas, passing under or over the same streets several times. He then rejoined the 278 going NORTH!

He was driving erratically, accelerate - brake - accelerate, only a few yards behind large trucks. Several tiles we swerved erratically as he decided at the last minute whether or not to take an exit or stay on the 278.

Eventually, after 75 minutes! - not the Mapquest 18 minutes - we arrived at the QM2 pier.

This was the most stressful, and frightening road journey we have ever had.

I have to say that the demeanour of the driver was not "alert" - in fact the opposite - rather docile and sleepyish.

The fare was more than quoted because he had taken a toll route.

Lincoln Limousines have never replied to our emails, either direct or via the "contact/complaints" section on their web page.

We suggest they are to be avoided at all costs

D

PS - Smiths for Airports were superb in the UK!!

As per the theme of this thread we board QM2 next Monday, can anyone recommend a company to book a transfer with from our hotel the Wyndham Garden Times Square South? I would apreciate your recommendations as I don't wish to have a nightmare journey as sunshinesdad had. I have had some unbelievable taxi journeys in foreign countrys and was suprised I ever made it to the airport or port without having to visit a hospital first!! In Bulgaria the taxi driver was on the phone, eating and smoking all at the same time as travelling through the city doing 70mph.........that was NO FUN.......I was very suprised that as a man he could multi task so well:D

As per the theme of this thread we board QM2 next Monday, can anyone recommend a company to book a transfer with from our hotel the Wyndham Garden Times Square South? I would apreciate your recommendations as I don't wish to have a nightmare journey as sunshinesdad had. I have had some unbelievable taxi journeys in foreign countrys and was suprised I ever made it to the airport or port without having to visit a hospital first!! In Bulgaria the taxi driver was on the phone, eating and smoking all at the same time as travelling through the city doing 70mph.........that was NO FUN.......I was very suprised that as a man he could multi task so well:D

We'll be on board with you. Come join us on the meet thread at QM2 - Nov 30 2009 - Connoisseur's Caribbean

Archived