Scared cruise newbie

chadci

Our last cruise was an 11 night and we spent about $600 on the ship and about $700 in ports. You can spend alot less in ports but we bought some jewelry and nic-nacks and lots of gifts for others.(my wife likes to shop!) On ship we don't gamble and I had 4 or 5 beers per day and my wife had 2 or 3 fancy drinks(margaretas...)a day. They always have a drink of the day for around $5 and my wife usually had them and it saves some money. Bottled beer is about $4.50 w/tip. We did the automatic tips and the $600 includes those. We did eat at a specialty resturant 1 night but we did not pay for any extras like spas or excersize classes and we didn't buy anything in the ship's shops. There are plenty of things to do and activities to partake in on board for free that you will have a wonderfull time even if you don't do anything that cost extra. I think if you plan for $500 pp for a 7 day cruise you will be fine and won't find yourself counting pennies. I hope you find this helpfull and I promise as this may be your 1st cruise it woun't be your last. Have fun!

Mike

Sorry if I skipped too fast, but I didn't see pictures in the budget consideration. Again optional, but new brides do tend to like em. It is not hard to spend $70 for a package, and goes up from there.

Depending on travel arrivals and such, see if there is a stop on the way to the cruise terminal and buy a 12/24 pack of sodas. The selections on board are not always the greatest, and the cards only cover 'fountain' serve. If you like a certain brand or like strong carbonation from the can - bring some of your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! I am sure you will have a blast on your honeymoon! We did the pre-pay tips and were given pieces of paper for our attendant, waiter, head waiter, etc. along with envelopes. It made it easier when it came to how much money we would need for the cruise. We did a 5 day one and took about $600.00 between the two of us. My husband drank about $100.00 in mixed drinks/beer, we spent 30.00 on bingo, and a good bit in our ports. However, I think we came back with about half once it was said and done. Drinks can run you anywhere from 5-10.00 a drink( I think his was jack and coke-$7.00) but other than that, most of your money is spent in port. Just budget between yourselves on what you are going to do and what you aren't and you will be fine! Have fun!

Since you're a new cruiser if you like it, consider buying a next cruise credit while on board. It will cost $100 per person but it will go towards your next deposit, you don't have to pick your next trip right that moment, and you will get onboard credit on your next cruise depending upon the length of the cruise. If you were a platinum member or shareholder it wouldn't pay but since you are neither it might be worth it to you.

Archived