Splendor Burrito Bar report

pulledporky

I'm just grateful they have Mexican food. I remember about five years ago my family took a cruise and on about the fifth day they would set up this section with mexican food, tacos, nachos, etc. It reminded me of that old commercial where on a ship they would announce columbian coffee being served on the promenade deck and the ship would tilt from the people running over to it. My son said you had to take a gun up there with you :)

At the end of cruises I used to crave ethnic food, especially Mexican, so I'm looking forward to the burrito bars.

How do you know the dock worker is "overpaid"? Do you know what his salary is? A friend of mine works the Royal Caribbean docks at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale and, while his pay is quite better than average for so-called "unskilled" labor, he is the breadwinner (he has a wife who is a stay-at-home mom to their 3-yr-old son) and it is sometimes tough to make ends meet. But, they do it with careful budgeting. I don't know what dock workers in California make, but here in Florida they are not making a whole lot. While my friend loads stuff on Royal Caribbean ships, he is certainly not cruising on them. Just my 2 cents.

Googled it out of interest:

PacificShipper states on the West coast: "General longshoremen who worked full time in 2007 earned an average of $125,461". That's a lot of money - even in SoCal.

I have not yet eaten at the burrito bar, but you have to put it in perspective.

For example, a friend of mine who was from Norwich, CT said at home their idea of Mexican food is Jack in the Box. Not everyone has the same influence and interpretation of "Mexican" food as many of us here in Southern California.

That silly double decker thing from Taco bell is a far cry from authentic too, but people like it for what it is.

You should try the salsa I had at a "Mexican" restaurant in Portland, OR. Ick!

And I knew a guy who said he never even heard of a burrito in the area of Mexico he was from. The story he tells of his first "burrito" here in CA is funny as hell too. It goes something like this: they ordered a burrito, asking 'what the heck is a burrito?' he looks at it and says, 'oh! it's a taco!...why they call a taco a burrito?":cool:

The sushi on board isn't up to the quality as can be found in many a California Japanese restaurant, and then that is probably a far cry from what can be gotten in Tokyo.

It is what it is. If you don't like the burrito bar on the Splendor, don't eat there.

All I know is I would rather have a Splendor Burrito on Vacation on a cruise to Mexico any day, over a burrito from a truck where when I'm done eating it I know have to go back to work!!

I have been on the pride twice, they had a very good sandwich bar. The Pastrami was awesome!! Does anyone know if the Splendor has this type of food on the Lido?

A true street burrito:

Should have a tortilla with a few charred areas, refried beans, mexican rice, chopped meat, cheese, chopped onions/cilantro, salsa - that's it (if they have avacado sauce I'll take some of that too. I have one taqueria in town that actually cooks fresh tortillas.) And english is not the primary language of the cook or the server (may not know any english).

The Splendor burrito bar:

They had chicken, beef, shrimp - then grilled onions, roasted bell peppers, lettuce, monterey jack cheese, tomatoes, refried beans, black beans, and a couple of other things that don't belong on a true burrito. Three salsas: a green tomatillo, then a very-mild red and a mild red. They also had a green "avacado" sauce in a squirt bottle.

The tortillas were a yellowish color that brought nothing to the party except being a wrapper. The steak was cut into strips, it was fairly tender but should be chopped. The rice was a bright yellow lemon flavored concoction that had absolutely no business relating itself to any type of mexican food. The refried beans were standard Rosarita type. I guess when you are serving the masses, and most of those have never eaten off a taco truck, they could call this a burrito (I was a little skeptical when someone described the burrito as "yummy". That would be a girly-burrito :p).

I tried it a second time without all the foo foo stuff and it was an acceptable burrito for the price.

I sent an e-mail to Carnival and suggested at the next stop in Long Beach the cook should walk two blocks in any direction except west and look for a big white step-van with windows. Order a burrito asada with everything. Don't eat it (yet), take it back to the kitchen and dissect it. Better yet, offer the dude in the truck a job, promise him lots of travel;).

My tradition is to get a burger and onion rings as soon as I get on board. Last week I went for the burrito bar instead. I'm going back to tradition - even though there are no more onion rings.

As a side note, one afternoon the buffet had some small bean and cheese burritos fried chimichanga style that weren't bad.

The cruise was fine, weather was perfect. Overpaid dock workers put one of my bags in the wrong bay, had to wait over an hour until they opened the gate, Carnival was NO help at all on this. (I guess the silver lining is my wife vowed to pack light from now on so we can do self assist).

We had to turn around after leaving Long Beach to let someone off the boat, and then again in Cabo. Both were for medical emergencies - I heard it was a concussion, broken bones, or a chopped off finger. Take your pick.

I hear ya on the burrito trucks/vans. The best! I grew up in South Texas so I know a good burrito when I see it, smell it and taste it. However, I can't wait to try to burrito bar on the Splendor. I've gotten used to so so burritos here in the good ol midwest.

The sushi on board isn't up to the quality as can be found in many a California Japanese restaurant, and then that is probably a far cry from what can be gotten in Tokyo.

Great point. Carnival's burritos are a million times closer "real" burritos than their sushi is to "real" sushi!

So, if the burritos are not authentic, is it because you can drink the water? Or because you did not get the runs after eating it. I always found the trucks to be questionable, some are very good, and others are on wheels so they can move around and avoid the food service laws.

I think the American burritos on the CCships will be a great addition.

Googled it out of interest:

PacificShipper states on the West coast: "General longshoremen who worked full time in 2007 earned an average of $125,461". That's a lot of money - even in SoCal.

And if you know if anything about being a longshoreman, you know that it is one of the most dangerous jobs around. And that wage quoted was probably in the good times as we all remember it, a couple years ago when overtime was plentiful.

When I read about people criticizing the food on board the ship (especially as being authentic), I cringe. Being a diabetic, I'd love to have a burrito with everything on it, and if I did, I know what would happen to me. Be thankful people that you can enjoy so many things to eat that many of us diabetics only dream of ever eating again.

I love the burritos on the Splendor, I like the whole wheat tortillas instead of the yellow ones. I think the turkey wraps in the deli are on the yellow tortillas as well. But somehow you get what they are serving that day at the burrito bar as they lightly toast then put the tortilla down then ask what you want on it.

My favorite lunch is getting a burrito with chips, then getting some Indian food from the aft Tandoor Grill for a great combo!

Oh no, It's making me hungry...

Archived