Question Book a SZ on Zuiderdam Get SY Help?

Seamo

Hi,

I booked a SZ guarantee on Zuiderdam. I go to the 'online check-in' and see that I'm in SY mid ship.

There are only TWO SZ cabins. Each has a angled balcony that is a little larger than the others (because of the angle).

Can someone explain what happened.

I wrote ... (in chat) ... with a HAL rep who wrote : "You booked a guarantee your guarantee a SZ or higher".

I answered, yes SZ is SZ .

The rep responded: "you may get an upgrade at no extra charge, is that a problem" .....then she abruptly ended the chat.

Should I go hide in the sand box ...

or what ???

Please,

tell me ....... were I went wrong .....or ......anything .... at all. tee-hee

Many thanks, Seamo

Edit/Delete Message

Hi,

I booked a SZ guarantee on Zuiderdam. I go to the 'online check-in' and see that I'm in SY mid ship.

There are only TWO SZ cabins. Each has a angled balcony that is a little larger than the others (because of the angle).

Can someone explain what happened.

I wrote ... (in chat) ... with a HAL rep who wrote : "You booked a guarantee your guarantee a SZ or higher".

I answered, yes SZ is SZ .

The rep responded: "you may get an upgrade at no extra charge, is that a problem" .....then she abruptly ended the chat.

Should I go hide in the sand box ...

or what ???

Please,

tell me ....... were I went wrong .....or ......anything .... at all. tee-hee

Many thanks, Seamo

Edit/Delete Message

You got an upgrade for free -- many cruisers have never gotten one -- be happy,

Suites go from SZ to SY to SS and then deluxe suites from SC to SB to SA. The guarantee means that you will get at least the lowest level of suite (SZ), and may get a 'higher' category, based on size, amenities, and location. If you wanted a specific SZ cabin, then you had to book one and not a guarantee. If none were available, then others have already snapped them up.

- Ike

I quess I should go to the sand box after all................

Do you mean to say that the move to SY from SZ is an "up-grade" ??

I was of the impression that the extra balcony space at SZ made it the best of the three.

Are the interiors superior in the other two?

Thanks for any info on this..... I now know that one is never tooo old to LEARN something new. Thanks..both for your responses.

Old SEAMO

Do you mean to say that the move to SY from SZ is an "up-grade" ??

"Upgrade" is in the eyes of the beholder. What one person considers an upgrade, another may consider an inferior cabin.

HAL considers it an upgrade if you are placed in a "higher category" cabin; HAL ranks the cabin categories, too.

Location can make a huge difference in determining how a cabin is categorized.

If there is anything in a higher category cabin that you don't like, then it's better not to book a guarantee.

Ruth,

Quote: "Upgrade" is in the eyes of the beholder. What one person considers an upgrade, another may consider an inferior cabin. "

In our case, It would seem that lack of 'actual' SZ-SY-SS experience is the problem. We've no idea of the differences of those three. The SY we are

assigned is 5 cabins forward of the aft SZ. On the deck layouts the only apparent difference is a slightly larger balcony in SZ and a small trianlular extension of the outboard cabin wall ( more interior space? ).

Ike and Momatibm made us aware that this is a upgrade. I don't know exactly what is superior about the SY and SS cabins. I feel a bit

of the ignorant intruder with this --- but how does one know when one doesn't know?... anyways ... we are looking forward to this Dec 13th cruise ... our first with HAL. The feel ... is, this is the place to be .... with Hal and of course C.C.

Thanks for your response.

sincerely, Seamo

P.S. If anyone would like to tell us Hal newbies what the SZ-SY-SS differences are ... well, we would be grateful. Thanks for your time in reading and considering our question.

Basically, beacause of the locations of the SZ balconies, you have no privacy. Also, on the one that is aft, you have a wind problem as there is nothing to slow the wind between you and what is coming off of the ship and moving aft. You did get an upgrade though your balcony may not be as large. I booked an SZ guarantee on the Westerdam earlier this month. We were upgraded to an SY and loved every minute of it! The room is a great size as is the balcony.

Bon Voyage!

Did you book directly with HAL?

When you booked a guarantee did they not explain what that meant, and how the catagory system works on HAL.

Basically the closer to "A" in the alphabet the cabin catagory is, the "Better" HAL classifies the cabin. So Your SY is considered a better cabin than an SZ and you were upgraded.

When you book a Guarantee you have to be willing to accept whatever cabin is assigned to you at or above the catagory you booked.

K&RCurt, mrsltg, RuthC, IkeEsq and momatibm,

Thank you.

I booked thru Vac2Go and it was not explained that SZ is lowest of the three, although it was mentioned that a 'guarantee' meant ,

as you've said, that one accepts you will get the cabin chosen or anything of a higher grade. It was our misconception that SZ would be the 'best' of the three. We based our assumedly erronious conclusion on the deck plans which show SZ to have a slightly larger balcony and a 'extra triangular interior space' at the outside wall. We thought the forward cabin would be the better of those two SZs when considering wind, smoke, etc blowing bow to aft.

--So we now "understand" our good fortune ---We have and Upgrade---HOWEVER--- still would like to know what minor differences occur

( other than closer to midship placement) between SZ, SY and SS!

Prehaps we'll join the C.C. ZuidenZuities and take the cabin crawl to find out the murgy details.

As an aside of some humor (I think)...we just came off Costa Atlantica where we had booked a Gaurantee inside, lowest rating.... and ... we check in to .... a Balcony! ... I know......

but as life would have it we were almost smoked to well done...the cigs were plentiful in mosts cabins and the air conditioners made sure everbody got their dose.... balcony door open most of the trip...hoping

the smoking on the Zuiderdam is minimal.

---Anyways ...thanks a heap for the reply(s).

Seamo

Since you are very close to your cruise have your travel agent contact HAL and ask if an upsell is available to a SA, SB, or SC.

We had booked a SY and a couple weeks before our sailing date we had our TA call HAL and got a $198 per person upgrade to a SB corner aft suite on the Zuiderdam last summer.

It was AWESOME. A larger cabin, balcony, and full suite benefits.

Go for it. The worst thing they can do is say no.

Archived