Excursions with Toddlers? - Help!!!

flyfan

We've done several cruises, but never with a 2 year old before. Anyone have any advice on what will and will not work? We will be traveling with our two teenage sons as well, so there will be lots of hands to help.

We'd like to do some snorkeling but I'm afraid of taking a toddler on a sailboat. Anyone have any experience?

I'm also afraid of those open-air tour buses without a carseat.

Heck - I'm afraid of everything!!!

Our son will be too young to participate in the kids programs (need to be 3 on RCCL), so leaving him on the ship isn't an option.

We will be visiting Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten. Any advice experienced cruisers have will be appreciated!

Thanks,

fly

we had the best luck going to beaches (bring your own shovel/bucket). on St. Thomas, you have lots of options---one to consider is taking the ferry from CH AM to St John---you have only short but ride to town and it is right there---i have gone on short island hops with buses w/t car seats (think about it---you don't use a carseat on a city bus in the US) and it was fine. I would not take a toddler on a snorkel boat--that's just me. your party could divide up and some beach and some snorkel. there are lots of good shore snorkel spots in st. thomas--where you could beach and snorkel and trade off.

if you set your expections lower on what you will accomplish, you will be fine. We bought a life vest a target (the mid-rated one---not bulky orange one, but enough to keep afloat if feel in pool or got washed out by a wave) and used it ALL DAY LONG at the beach. Look for beaches near hotels, or find one that lets you use facilities. At St. John, Trunk Bay has fine public park facilities, OK snorkeling and #1 beach in the US----many also like to go to Caneel Bay Resort---great snorkeling, and buy a drink/lunch, etc. from them and them use their facilities. Caneel is a protected cove, so calm water. My best times werwe relaxing at the beach watching my twins sccop sand.

I am going to st. thomas, st. marteen, and nassau with a 2year ols as well! We are going march 6th. I have a great family, and our plan is to just split up. Some of us will sit on the beach, others will go snorkeling. Keep me updated, because I bet well have many of the same concerns!!

At 2, they need their regular naps and they do get cranky if they are tired or hungry or thirsty or hot, so I don't think you should try to do organized excursions with a 2YO. Just play by ear.

Since toddlers (not potty-trained) are not allowed to use ships' pools, going to beaches at different ports of call is definitely going to be a big hit with your 2YO. Mommy and Daddy can take turns snorkling if snorkling is important, otherwise, just stay on the beach and take lots of photos of the 2YO playing in the sand.

I haven't met a young child who does not enjoy digging in sand.

There will be plenty of opportunity in the future for you to do the excursions and water activities when your 2YO is older.

Take a stroller big enough that your 2YO can nap in. Bring lots of diapers, wipes, water to drink, sunscreen, and hat.

Just got back from a RCCL cruise to Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan and Labadee with our 16 mo old DD. It was great!!

In Nassau, we did the Sea & See excursion. It was a ferry to a semi-submursed boat with windows and then a bus tour of town. We only had 6 hrs there, and that excursion was perfect for her.

In St Thomas, we did the Ultimate Island Experience. It was an OK tour. Had 2 hours at Megan's Bay for the beach. We were bored after 10 min. It was not a great beach, IMO, and DD hated the water and sand.

In San Juan, we did not take an excursion, but walked to the 2 forts instead. She was in her stroller and slept most of the day.

In Labadee, it was a beach day. DD wanted nothing to do with the sand or water. She was on the lounge chair most of the day in the shade.

We considered doing a snorkeling trip and would just take turns snorkeling, but we didn't do it.

We did take our own coast guard approved life jacket and it was exactly the same life jacket they had on the ship.

In San Juan, we did not take an excursion, but walked to the 2 forts instead. She was in her stroller and slept most of the day.

Did you have a map which showed you the way to these 2 forts? I think walking around town in San Juan is a good idea since our ship docks around 4pm and we want to see a little bit of the city, besides the shopping district, before it gets dark.

With the opening of Princess Cays, we'll probably just do that beach as we live 2 blocks from beach in Los Angeles. Just can't justify paying $50 roundtrip in taxi fare to go to another beach.

There was a table set up in the terminal when we left the ship in San Juan that had maps and a representative to help. I think both forts close at 5pm, so you would have a hard time making it off the ship and to the ports in time. But there are other sites to see too. When looking at the maps it seems like everything is a long way, but it really wasn't that far.

Archived