Itinerary change on Voyager Med cruise

My sister just received a letter that states RCCL has substituted Toulon for the final port in Marseilles.

I have done this cruise twice and know that Marseilles is no big loss, but I did love Aix de Provence.

There is very, very little on Toulon on the port board, Does anyone have experience with this port?

Thanks!

My sister just received a letter that states RCCL has substituted Toulon for the final port in Marseilles.

I have done this cruise twice and know that Marseilles is no big loss, but I did love Aix de Provence.

There is very, very little on Toulon on the port board, Does anyone have experience with this port?

Thanks!

Gidday.

Not a lot to offer you apart from our 2007 diary entry as below.

" Friday 25th May

Toulon, France. A short sail overnight and we docked around 8 am. in the port right on the edge of town. Planned to go to St. Tropez, but didnt work out with the bus schedules so spent the day wandering around Toulon. Its quite a large town, a lot of industry and naval yards.

One of the main roads was blocked to traffic and a produce market was in progress. Much cheaper here than Cannes,

We paid a short visit to the Toulon Museum, wanted to go to the Art Museum but it was closed. We were impressed with the cleanliness of all the streets and alleyways. Obviously washed and disinfected overnight. When the street market was over, around 2.30pm, a team of cleaners moved in. Manual and motor streetsweepers swarmed over the area and the roadways were hosed and sprayed with disinfectant. As soon as the workers moved along the street, more stalls were being set up. Don't know what they were selling as we didn't hang around to find out.

Not as hot today, thank goodness, a nice breeze, even looks like we might get some rain. Another sailaway party on deck early evening, so got oiled a bit before and early dinner then a cocktail party with the Captain. A bit more free wine and champers before getting back to outside deck to properly party. (As we have been for many nights now). Then a trivia comp in one of the lounges to finish off the night. Although the live shows in the show lounge are pretty good, we havent found the time to get to one for over a week. "

Hope it helps a little.

Have a great cruise.

Sue and Phil

Thanks!

This happened to us on VOS 11/1/09. The ship actually docks in Le Seyne Sur Mer. RCCL charges $12 pp for the shuttle to Toulon. You can also take a free shuttle to a water taxi to Toulon. The water taxi is 1.30 euro but it never showed up on the day that we were there. So we walked around Le Seyne Sur Mer and found a nice street market. It was a decent day.

Like you, I booked a tour to Aix--they would have taken us there but the tour left at 7 AM so we opted out!

This happened to us on VOS 11/1/09.

Forgot to mention, we were on an excursion with one of the RCI dancers and she said they were unable to get into Marseille 3 out of the last 4 cruises! Maybe they should re-think this stop during the fall months. We also did not get into Livorno and missed Florence!

We went to Toulon instead on the November 8th cruise. Didnt really know much about the place so i just wandered around the marina, the market and the shopping mall. There is a maritime museum (didnt go in thought as i had to get back and pack) but not much else as i could see. It is one of the biggest Naval ports in the Med.

I kinda liked the place, its a hell of a lot nicer/safer than Marseille. It was a good job we didnt get there as there were riots in town with soccer fans the day were were meant to go there, they trashed the place and set fire to some boats in the harbour.

The ship will still run most of the tours, but if you can hire a car St Tropez is about an hours drive away and is well worth the trip. Lovely place to spend the day, take a boat trip from the marina, good way to see all the posh houses, go up to the village square and play petanque with the locals, shop til you drop and look at all the mutli million $ yachts parked up on the marina, way cool.

Donna

Just went on the 11/15 sailing of the same cruise. Marseilles was skipped on ours as well due to strong winds. RCL honored all of the same excursions as in Marseilles. I think they just had to shift some of the times in order to make it happen. Though I didn't go on any of the tours on this stop, I didn't hear any complaints from those who did.

Archived