opinions on interior vs balcony for 1st time

gerry48

We have had both, and find the interior better if you want to sleep. We have slept in and almost missed docking, but now we remember the alarm clock.

To us we find the darkness worth it. When you are on a balcony it is light when the sun comes up and stays light till it goes back down, can be a long day when at sea.

I think you have made up your mind before you even posted. It seems to me that you are going to have an inside room. When we were young, balconies weren't available so there was never a question of booking one. I can't imagine being on a cruise without being in a balcony now.

I think a first cruise is one that you will be up and running all the time. After that, you will decide to calm down and having a balcony to enjoy with your wife is something special. Of course if your wife is like the one who won't let the husband leave the room etc, perhaps it won't be special.

My husband and I get to spend some romantic time together in our cabin and on the balcony. I don't like having it be dark all the time unless a light is turned on and my husband absolutely hates that. I guess if I kept the room like the video though, it would be a good idea to have an inside room so we wouldn't see the disaster the room is.

Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy your inside cabin and use the money for excursions. After the first cruise, your outlook might change, but then again maybe not. Enjoy!

We have had both, and find the interior better if you want to sleep. We have slept in and almost missed docking, but now we remember the alarm clock.

To us we find the darkness worth it. When you are on a balcony it is light when the sun comes up and stays light till it goes back down, can be a long day when at sea.

If you want to catch up on sleep ,and there is nothing Wong with it . Why go on a cruise when you can sleep in your windowless home for free

our 1st cruise was in an inside cabin - no claustrophobia at all! Yes, it was dark and weird to have to turn on the tv to know the outside weather, but we had a great time. Because it was our 1st cruise we honestly spent a ton of time exploring every deck and pretty much only slept in the room.

We have only been on 3 cruises and all were booked to capacity and still never had many people on the Promenade deck when we would go up for sail away or at any other time.

Our 2nd and 3rd cruises have been in balcony cabins but I wouldn't hesitate to cruise in an inside cabin again. DD14 came for the 2nd and 3rd cruises and the little bit of extra room was nice; I suspect maybe an inside with a 3rd or 4th person might feel a bit cramped.

Congrats on your decision to cruise, I hope you will find it enjoyable regardless of your cabin type. Everybody eats the same food, sees the same shows and stops at the same ports no matter which cabin type they are in - your cabin category does not define you or determine the success of your vacation.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise.

I can be happy in any cabin but prefer a balcony. Part of it is the price spread. On some ships balconies are in short supply and I just can't feel good about paying nearly double for a cruise where everything else is equal but having a balcony. Itinerary also factors in. I'd never do Alaska without a balcony but Hawaii was so port intensive that we were barely onboard. It also depends on your personalities. If you are very outgoing and like to be out and about, you will use a balcony less than a couple who like quiet times alone. We like peace and quiet but we have never had trouble finding it even when we had an inside cabin. First thing we'd do when we boarded was scout around for a few untraveled areas where we could read and relax undisturbed. Every ship has a few if you're looking for them. One of the things I do love about Carnival is hanging out on the balcony in our robes. I can actually pack lighter! But, if we have an inside I'll just pack a comfy jogging suit to use on deck late at night or in the early morning. I do have to say that I find inside cabins unappealing to spend time in. The OVs are bigger and feel much more "livable" to me. Balconies are worth it to me as long as I don't feel I'm overpaying for one.

We've had insides, OV's and one balcony. I just want to be on the ship, and the cabin really doesn't matter that much to me.

One thing about balconies is you don't choose your balcony neighbors.....sometimes they can be a problem, especially if you want peace and quiet. You can also have a smoker in front of you and you might as well be on their balcony. It's the luck of the draw, but balconies aren't always peaceful, private places. ;)

We've booked both. I love balcony cabins but on one cruise the neighbors argued or smoked constantly on their balcony so we really did not enjoy it. We felt like voyeurs if we sat out on the balcony when they were fighting and the cigar smoke was intense too. But on other cruises we've had room service for breakfast each day on the balcony.I feel that if you are on budget get an inside cabin but the balcony does give you great views. Window cabins are a great middle option. We book those too.

Archived