Puerto Rico Taxi Fares

Monty'sMomandDad

Booked the Dec 18-Jan 2 Millenium cruise. Trying to figure out if we should be taking the pier transfers or opt for a taxi. Our main concern is making our 10:30 return flight. We are CC class and select Capt Club members (by way of RCCL). Don't know if that would make a difference. Very excited though, our first Celebrity sailing. Thanks so much!:)

That flight time is very early, and you run a real risk of not making it if you have even a minimal delay in the ship's arrival, DHS clearing the ship for disembarkation, etc. The San Juan airport's security clearance lines are also notoriously long and slow.

If you can, I'd suggest you rebook your flight to a later departure.

Unless Celebrity has specifically told you otherwise, cruise lines will normally not even offer airport transfers for a flight that early. If you're going to make it, you'll need to disembark as soon as possible and take a taxi.

Booked the Dec 18-Jan 2 Millenium cruise. Trying to figure out if we should be taking the pier transfers or opt for a taxi. Our main concern is making our 10:30 return flight. We are CC class and select Capt Club members (by way of RCCL). Don't know if that would make a difference. Very excited though' date=' our first Celebrity sailing. Thanks so much!:)[/quote']

Hi Monty'sMomandDad

You are not the only ones worrying about early flights i know there are more couples hoping to catch a 10am flight out. This is something that celebrity will have to sort out.

We are also first time cruisers and excited too.

Hope you will log into the Roll call board here on cruise critics where you will find many others talking !!

One of the group has set up a website and also a spreadsheet where you can see what other trips people have organised at ports.

Join in the pre cruise build up and come to the unofficial party the first night too. Look forward to meeting you

Hi Monty'sMomandDad

You are not the only ones worrying about early flights i know there are more couples hoping to catch a 10am flight out. This is something that celebrity will have to sort out.

We are also first time cruisers and excited too.

Hope you will log into the Roll call board here on cruise critics where you will find many others talking !!

One of the group has set up a website and also a spreadsheet where you can see what other trips people have organised at ports.

Join in the pre cruise build up and come to the unofficial party the first night too. Look forward to meeting you

If Celebrity booked the flights for them as part of an air/sea package, yes, but if these are flights the passengers booked themselves, how would it be Celebrity's responsiblity to sort out?

I offer 2 observations......First....take you own taxi more convient and cheaper with plently of waiting taxis to take you to teh airport approx 20-30 away.

When we arrived at San Juan Oct 26th, the ship did not clear customs until around 9-9:30am even though we were at port 6am. THIS WAS NOT A SHIP PROBLEM..but a customs/passport issue. Dont know why it happened but it did. Once they started leaving you off the ship, you then picked up luggage went through passport control and customs and it was easily after 10am. People were rushing to make noon flights. Our cruise may not have been the norm but nothing is guaranteed for you to get offf the ship at 7 or 8am. If you miss the early flight chances are the following flights leaving san juan are booked so it could really mess up your day.

I'll through in my 2 cents: Security lines in San Juan have been terrible on a couple of the cruises we've taken from there that had weekend disembarkation. Only time it hasn't been too bad was when we returned on a Monday or Friday.

Also, your cruise is a holiday cruise. Now I don't know about San Juan, but the worst cruise debarkation and busiest airport check in we ever experianced was about 5 years ago when we completed a New Year's holiday cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. We had huge delays getting off the ship, getting a taxi, and long delays due to weather at the airport - although the latter would work in your favor as far as timing.

I'd seriously consider switching to a later flight if it is possible. If you are trying to make this flight I'd probably take a taxi as it would normally be much quicker than a cruise line transfer bus. But you might want to hang onto the cruise line transfer just in case there are no taxi's available. While I've never had an issue getting a taxi in San Juan (they've always been plentiful and well organized) the only time I've really had a bad problem getting a taxi has been in FLL when we got off from our holiday cruise - as I noted above.

Archived