One parent travelling alone with kids?

sr5242

sorry if this has been asked before:

My parents and I are taking my two kids on the majesty on dec 14th for a 4 nite cruise. my husband cannot get off work so he is not coming. do I need to get a notarized letter from him stating I have his permission to take the kids to the bahamas? all I saw on the rci website mentioned that if the parent and child had a different last name they needed something establishing parental relationship, but nothing else. my kids and I have the same last name.

I have an uncle who is a notary and am seeing him tomorrow so if I needed a letter I could get it done tomorrow.

any info is appreciated!

thanks!!!

Yes. They can ask you because you are taking his children out of the country. ;) Here is the one I use when I travel without hubby...

LETTER OF CONSENT TO TRAVEL

I __________________________________________________ _provide my consent for

NAME OF PARENT

my child(ren) ____________________________________________ to travel with

NAME OF CHILD(REN)

________________________________ to ____________________________ from

NAME(S) OF ADULT TRAVEL COMPANION(S) COUNTRY/COUNTRIES

________________________________ to ____________________________ .

DATE DATE

(List specific travel information in the space below such as airline, flight number, cruise line and ship or tour operator.)

__________________________________________________ _________________

Signed____________________________________________ _________________

PARENT'S NAME

Telephone/Contact:__________________________________________ ________

Address:

Signature of Notary:___________________________________________ _______

Notary's Printed Name: ____________________________________________

Notary Seal:

I am a single dad and have traveled internationally with my son for many years (from age 7, he is now 21). ALthough his mom and I are now good friends, I always had a permission slip from her...just in case. I was never asked to show it, but better to have and not need than the other way around.

My ex ran into trouble when he took our son on a land-based vacation to Cancun. I've taken the kids on more than one cruise out of Florida to Mexico and western islands - even took one of the kids friends along back in 2004, and I was never asked for documentation saying it way okay for me to be traveling with these kids. Call it sexist, but I think it's a much bigger deal for a single man traveling with children than for a single woman traveling with kids. That said, it couldn't possibly hurt to have a notarized document to avoid any problems. I doubt it will be required, but if you have it, it will eliminate any concerns.

Your post also reminded me that I have traveled with my son and a couple of his friends, on cruises and internationally. Not once was I asked for documentation. Add to that the kids were of different races. With that said I had releaces and medical authorizations for each of the kids, but was never asked to show anything. You just never know, but would sure hate to fine out what could happen, for a 10 to 15 dollar charge one can have peace of mind...

sorry if this has been asked before:

My parents and I are taking my two kids on the majesty on dec 14th for a 4 nite cruise. my husband cannot get off work so he is not coming. do I need to get a notarized letter from him stating I have his permission to take the kids to the bahamas? all I saw on the rci website mentioned that if the parent and child had a different last name they needed something establishing parental relationship, but nothing else. my kids and I have the same last name.

I have an uncle who is a notary and am seeing him tomorrow so if I needed a letter I could get it done tomorrow.

any info is appreciated!

thanks!!!

I am Canadian,and cruised to NewBrunswick and Halifax on a 5 night out of New York several years ago with my grandchildren.I had the noterized letterfrom the daughter and husband.The cruise line asked for it and photo copied the thing and told me to keep it in the safe.I never took it with me in port thinking that we were now in our own country,what a mistake that was.Port security took the kids after grilling me for 5 min or so there were 7 and 12,I had all of our passports and ship cards and for a while I didnt think they were going to let us back onboard the ship.They actually called the ship,because I told them the ship photo copied this paper,After being cautioned to take that paper ashore in the next port the kids were returned to me but I will tell you never again will I return to New Brunswick

After being cautioned to take that paper ashore in the next port the kids were returned to me but I will tell you never again will I return to New Brunswick

WOW :eek: That was one of the cruises that I took with the kids but without my hubby. The people at the terminal building in New Brunswick couldn't have been nicer...which is good because my notarized consent letter was sitting in my cabin at the time. ;)

I am Canadian,and cruised to NewBrunswick and Halifax on a 5 night out of New York several years ago with my grandchildren.I had the noterized letterfrom the daughter and husband.The cruise line asked for it and photo copied the thing and told me to keep it in the safe.I never took it with me in port thinking that we were now in our own country,what a mistake that was.Port security took the kids after grilling me for 5 min or so there were 7 and 12,I had all of our passports and ship cards and for a while I didnt think they were going to let us back onboard the ship.They actually called the ship,because I told them the ship photo copied this paper,After being cautioned to take that paper ashore in the next port the kids were returned to me but I will tell you never again will I return to New Brunswick

When you were reboarding the ship, you were a Canadian crossing into the U.S. This is where you would especially need that letter. Port security was doing their job. The cruise lines, IMO, don't know squat about immigration matters. Sorry they gave you bad advice.

When you were reboarding the ship, you were a Canadian crossing into the U.S. This is where you would especially need that letter. Port security was doing their job. The cruise lines, IMO, don't know squat about immigration matters. Sorry they gave you bad advice.

Ya I knew of coarse I would need that paper to enter the US and rightfully so but I never imagined I would be harrased right here in my own country.My thought was at the time that they would know we must have had all documents or we never would have been on the ship in the first place.This was a rough trip as were were caught in a gale storm the night before and my daughter was looking for our ship in the wrong port Halifax/She thought we were lost at sea.This was the first of many cruises for the grandchildren and they loved it .This international kidnaping law is very important and although I think they went to far in this case ,yes they were on the job and feel that if it was my child someone was trying to make off with I would be pleased to see these same people on duty.The moral of this story is that I hope this helps someone else,and I hope they never feel the fear I felt when they took the kids away from me.Even if its a photo copy you take on shore be armed and ready for the unexpected.

The moral of this story is that I hope this helps someone else,and I hope they never feel the fear I felt when they took the kids away from me.Even if its a photo copy you take on shore be armed and ready for the unexpected.

I appreciate the great advice! I never even considered taking copies of it off the ship. I will definitely start doing this. Thanks!

success! have my notarized letter in hand, made 2 additional copies, so hopefully I am all set! thanks Michele for the form!

Congrats! Have a great cruise!

I'm divorced. I was travelling with my two kids who have a different last name. I saw some of the stories here, so when we went on the Enchantment earlier this month, I had the notarized letter from their father, the original copy of our divorce order, the kids birth certificates, my passport from before I reverted back to my maiden name and my new passport.

I handed the letter and passports over to US customs when I crossed into Buffalo. The crossing guard said, in a very snotty way "what is this for?!"

When we got to the pier, I showed our passports when we were asked and at no time did anyone ask me for the letter from my ex husband. At one point, I was asked to show my passport again and I said "is this where I show the letter from their father?" That person looked at me like I had grown a second head or something.

So, long story short, no one seems to care at all about the letter from the father. That being said, I would never travel without one.

Oh, and I WAS asked on my way back into Canada. Strange, isn't it? No one cares if I'm taking them OUT of the country, but they want to see my documentation when I'm bringing them HOME! Go figure.

Oh, and I WAS asked on my way back into Canada. Strange, isn't it? No one cares if I'm taking them OUT of the country, but they want to see my documentation when I'm bringing them HOME! Go figure.

We have the same experience when we are just crossing the border (into Canada from the US). We always laugh because the Canadian border patrol hardly look at our passports and just quickly wave us through. However, on the way home, back into the US, we are always met with a million questions. They must not like getting us back. ;)

Gosh...earlier this year, I adopted my son as a single mom. We'll be cruising out of the country in January. I do have his passport, which shows that he has the same last name as mine, but since there is no legal father, don't know what I could bring to show I am his only parent. Any suggestions?

Ya I knew of coarse I would need that paper to enter the US and rightfully so but I never imagined I would be harrased right here in my own country.My thought was at the time that they would know we must have had all documents or we never would have been on the ship in the first place.This was a rough trip as were were caught in a gale storm the night before and my daughter was looking for our ship in the wrong port Halifax/She thought we were lost at sea.This was the first of many cruises for the grandchildren and they loved it .This international kidnaping law is very important and although I think they went to far in this case ,yes they were on the job and feel that if it was my child someone was trying to make off with I would be pleased to see these same people on duty.The moral of this story is that I hope this helps someone else,and I hope they never feel the fear I felt when they took the kids away from me.Even if its a photo copy you take on shore be armed and ready for the unexpected.

You'll find that many US citizens report that they are required to show their letters, custody papers, etc. often when returning to the US. The fact is that Immigration officers at any point of entry never assume that you were required to show proof of being allowed to take your child between countries. Every port and border crossing is an individual event with the Immigration officers, who consider only what is right in front of them and not what might have happened elsewhere.

Gosh...earlier this year, I adopted my son as a single mom. We'll be cruising out of the country in January. I do have his passport, which shows that he has the same last name as mine, but since there is no legal father, don't know what I could bring to show I am his only parent. Any suggestions?

I would suggest you bring a copy of the peritinent part of the adoption papers showing that you adopted your son as a single mom with no other parent/guardian involved.

beachchick

I was also stopped coming back into the US through the port of Miami. Both my daughter and I are US citizens with valid passports. As many others have noted - no one cared when we boarded and left the country. The immigration official coming back in took it very seriously about having the proper paperwork to have traveled solo with her. I had my custody paperwork showing that have sole legal and physical custody. He was clearly trained in what to look for and verified it was a certified copy.

He made it very clear that if I did not have the proper paperwork, we would have been detained (an missed our flights on Easter Sunday) until they could investigate??? In Baltimore, we had to see a supervisor because the RCCL rep only knew she needed to see a notarized letter and did not understand my custody paperwork (this was for the Grandeur in July). They seemed to be checking all children that day based upon what was going on around us.

I have found Canadian officials to have been very strict (And more consistent than the US) even before my divorce when traveling with my now ex. They questioned DD as to who the two adults traveling with her were.

Remember the checks are there to protect you children. Just because they have a passport does not imply they have permission to travel at this specific time with this specific person.

I am an adoptive mom of 2 black young women (now 16 and 21). Two years ago, my youngest and I sailed out of San Juan on RCCI. The counter agent was extremely racist when she was shown the passports, explaining that my daughter couldn't be mine as we didn't look alike. I was made to have her birth certificate faxed down as well as the court order for the adoption before we are permitted to board. I was furious. My daughter (14 at the time) was equally as furious, but had a great sense of humor about it. She explained the the agent that "Yes indeed I have been kidnappped. She stole me off of a street corner in Atlanta, flew me to Puerto Rico and is taking me on a cruise. I look forward to these kidnappings several times a year".

My daughters, my year old grandson and my eldest's fiance got on the Enchantment of the Seas in October. The baby's daddy is not the fiance' (but will be soon) and his birth certificate does not list the father. The counter agent attempted to insist that she have a letter from the father allowing her to take him out of the country. It took a supervisor's intervention for the counter agent to understand that when there is no father listed on the birth certificate, there is no legal father. Big discussion that took a while to straighten out. Carry as much documentation as you can get your hands on.

I highly recommend carrying passports, birth certificates and court orders. We have carried these items with us since then and never had a problem. And as for the racist counter agent.....you just can't help some people.

Archived