questions about cruise with my sister

ckekjhaze

I didn't say those words..so don't mix my post with someone else's please (about the kids growing up with the Aunt,selfish and adding God into the mix)

Every single family situation is different. When you have gone through every single one of them yourself..then you can speak for others. Otherwise you can only speak for yourself and give your own opinions.

Just because you think someone is wrong doesn't mean you need to "chastize" them as well. My mother always said "two wrongs don't make a right"

That's my opinion too and I'm also sticking to it. Sure - I read yours...just like you read mine and Umbarger's and you didn't have to read them either if you didn't like it.

Have a good nite :D

ok guys stop fighting:)

Anyway, I didn't take offense at anyone's posts- I applaud all those who stand up for disabled people and offer differing points of view. It's true every family is different, every situation is unique.

Yes I did grow up with 2 disabled sisters, one has been living in a group home for a few years, the one that lives with me lived with my mother until she became unable to care for her.

Of course I talked to my 3 kids about how this vacation would be a little different- that's the reason I chose a cruise. There is so much to do for everyone. We tried a cruise last year from NY to Canada and loved it.

The reason I said the kids were upset is not because their aunt is disabled, but because they've always known vacations to include certain activities.

for ex. if you have gone to Disney every year and have always gone on Space Mountain and looked forward to it, then told this year you can't go on it, but you can stroll down mainstreet and shop instead of course you are going to be disappointed. What I am trying to say is that now my kids realize (as opposed to when I first booked the trip) that all the stuff we get to do, with my sister, will still be fun.

They needed some time to get used to the idea. We had to look at excursions and on-board activities- realizing splitting up won't work- my husband won't do any personal care on my sister, and he won't take the kids off the ship without me, so we have to stay together.

Someone asked about assistance to get some time away, as I previously posted, the funds for that have been cut. We even offered to self-pay at a camp, but they won't accept her because her behaviors are too bad. They tried her for a weekend and she acted out, hit staff and other campers. I do pay for a sitter but it is by the hour and very expensive- $18 per hr. She is pretty good with me and luckily we don't see a lot of negative behavior but the possibility is always there.

We can't afford and don't have the time even if we did have someone to watch her to get another vacation so we have to make the best of this one, and we will.

CHEKJHAZE is comfortable with her decision to take her sister on this wonderful trip. Everyone needs to all support her and her family without causing undue stress. I truly believe everyone on this forum is a good and kind person;) . So let's all wish CHEJHAZE and her family

BON VOYAGE !

HAPPY CRUISING !

GOOD WEATHER !

SAFE TRAVELING !

AND MOST OF ALL ... A WONDERFUL TIME ON THIS NEW FAMILY ADVENTURE !

CHEKJHAZE is comfortable with her decision to take her sister on this wonderful trip. Everyone needs to all support her and her family without causing undue stress. I truly believe everyone on this forum is a good and kind person;) . So let's all wish CHEJHAZE and her family

BON VOYAGE !

HAPPY CRUISING !

GOOD WEATHER !

SAFE TRAVELING !

AND MOST OF ALL ... A WONDERFUL TIME ON THIS NEW FAMILY ADVENTURE !

DITTO!! DITTO!! DITTO!! :) Have a great cruise..and do come back and tell us how it went! :)

Aside from the issues brought up by others, please, go into this with the same great frame of mind that you now show. it will be good. and please take time to write on this board after your cruise. I look forward to hearing all about it. The great and the not so great. It will still beat being home and doing the cooking and cleaning.

awww thanks yes it does beat cooking and cleaning!

Yes we are comfortable with out decisions and we have developed thick skins

We have been told the full range of stupid comments from -

1. put her in a group home because she is ruining our lives and it's not fair to us or the kids (that's from people at church),

2. why don't you take in more of "them", it's good money (nurse in ER)

3.just order the cheapest thing for her- she won't know the difference-(waitress at a Howard Johnson's)

4. you should build her a Snoezlen room, teach her to play chess and hire staff that speak foreign languages to stimulate her

I tell people off when necessary, try to educate if I think it will help and ignore the rest;)

Archived