Chair hoggers......

Littlegoo75

Okay, we all know they are on every cruise, but how do you deal with them?

If I wanted to lay down and catch some rays, and there are chairs that are just sitting there with a towel or shoe or something on them, and somebody hasn't been there for awhile, would I be just as bad as they are if I moved their shoe or towel and sat in the chair? I mean, why should they be able to just claim it all day?

I never resorted to that, as I am always able to find somewhere to go, usually at the back of the ship, but I just hate it when people are rude and hog up a space that they hardly ever use.

Although, if there is a piece of gym equipment that I want to use, and there is a towel or magazine on it, and nobody has been there for over 10 minutes, I will move it and use it ( the machine, not their towel!). I did get a dirty look from a guy who left his weight belt on an elliptical machine, and I just shot him another one back, and that was it.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Move it! LOL! Or give it to one of the employees to put in the lost and found! Make sure the person is just not in the bathroom, bar, pool, etc... but once you realize they are a "chair hog", ditch the stuff and claim your chair :D In a NY MINUTE I would do it! LOL!

We had to move a towel and take a chair on our last cruise, but, usually, you can find a chair, just not in a prime spot. I really don't need to be by the main pool so I've rarely had a problem. But, I do agree, if you're not there, it's somebody elses turn for the chair. Also, I've sat in chairs that are being "saved" by one member of a group. I just tell them I will gladly move when their family/friends arrive. I've never had to move because nobody's ever shown up.

Always a problem never a good answer. I think it would help if Carnival would post some big signs of pool deck chair rules... This might help a little with people keeping them all day and never using them. It's a tough call because you want to be able to use the pool or go eat lunch and not lose your spot.

What I usually do is ask someone that's sitting nearby the "saved" chair whether they have seen anyone using it recently (within the past hour). If they say no, any personal items that were left on the chair are given to the closest Carnival employee I can find, and the chair is mine. :D

What I usually do is ask someone that's sitting nearby the "saved" chair whether they have seen anyone using it recently (within the past hour). If they say no, any personal items that were left on the chair are given to the closest Carnival employee I can find, and the chair is mine. :D

That's a good idea. I've seen other suggestions of waiting 45 minutes or so to see if anyone comes back.........I don't want to waste 45 minutes lurking around a chair.

I had that problem in a show lounge only once. There was a couple saving the whole row of seats for their family- Granted we get there early enough. (1/2 hour) I showed the couple the copy of the compass that states no saving of the seats allowed and sat down- the couple moved. And again tried to save the whole row of seats. At the end of the show it was this couple and three other people-- (to think they tried to save a whole row for only 5 people--lol

OH, I'm all about moving stuff after they've been gone forever and catching a Carnival employee or security is the best way....then you tell the person, when they come back, security cleared it out......and on SOME of the Carnival ships, they DO........Gotta love that!:D

Putting it on every chair might work, LOL... ah, nah, it probably wouldn't... there will always be those few, LOL...

They have it posted around the pool, and I believe they even have it in the capers don't they? I know they do their best to make it known... but maybe not good enough.

was on the Victory last year during Spring Break, and, - my goodness - the chair saving was insane!!!:eek:

There was clothes strewn about everywhere - who knows if it was from a party the night before or the morning chair-savers, but were never able to find a chair without some sort of clothing article on it!

Carnival made an announcement about it - but it didn't seem to help.

This time we are booking a balcony - then we can enjoy the sun from our room! ;)

Ok we need a big fishing net on the lido deck that is open at top where you can throw the chair hogger's crap in there..........THEN........when they come back around to have security lower the net to get their goodies, we can all say...oops?:confused: :eek: :D .as we sip on our drinks!;)

Good, nice to hear all of these answers. I don't mind if people save a couple of spots in the theater, but I am not going to give them the whole row. What are they going to do, beat me up? If they do cause a commotion, I'm sure there will be plenty of witnesses, and I will let them hash it out, and then security can take them away and there will be more seats for everybody else.

I would think the most common reaction would be dirty looks, I can handle that.

Will the pool staff or deck patrol remove items from chairs if you ask them? I'd rather ask them then do it myself. On RCCL I went up to one of the staff and told them I had been watching this chair for an hour with just a room towel on it, and he asked if I was sure it was an hour and he then removed the item for me so I could honestly look the hogger in the face and say, "Nope, wasn't me!!" No one ever did come to claim the chair from me!

Marcys, yes they will! Last year we saw a Carnival employee come remove the belongings from about 6 chairs that had been there all day... it provided much entertainment to us when the TWO people came back hours later wondering where their items were. :D

You know, those "I'll be back at (let's say 2:15)" permanently attached to every chair, with clearly posted rules that 30 minutes is the maximum the chair may sit empty. If it's 1:43 (they've obviously set it for greater than 30 minutes - violation), or 2:16 (too late - violation), the chair is yours.

how about leave their stuff, relocate the chair :)

Moving Target

Since some of the chair hogs don't return for a long time. I just pick the chair I want move their things to the side.. use the chair.. If the person returns soon after I have no problem returning the chair, but if I have been there for an hour.. tough luck. I especially dislike those who leave a white bathroom towel (probably for fear someone will steal their Blue one and they will have to pay.) Those I toss right away..LOL :eek:

I had a problem in the theater.. Went in to play Bingo.. and this 11 year old tells me she is saving the whole row, Main floor. Thats a very big row. I asked if it was for Bingo.. she said no.I only needed one section with a table that could hold 3 of us.

I said she cannot save this whole row during Bingo for the Show.. If she has a problem she can get her parent and I would be happy to have a chat. I needed one table for 3. My DH hates to have a confrontation. But can you imagine some parent leaving an 11 year old there to save a whole row......She eventually got up and many other people claimed the seats in this row. Now if the family was actually there to play bingo and stayed for the show, there would be no problem..

• 3 weeks later...
You know, those "I'll be back at (let's say 2:15)" permanently attached to every chair, with clearly posted rules that 30 minutes is the maximum the chair may sit empty. If it's 1:43 (they've obviously set it for greater than 30 minutes - violation), or 2:16 (too late - violation), the chair is yours.

how about leave their stuff, relocate the chair :)

Moving Target

I knew I read about a 30 minute statement.

Thanks

In all the cruises we've been on, we only ran into a problem 1 day. Went up to lido around 9 and there were NO CHAIRS. I'm talking NONE!!! But the deck was dead. So we moved the towels off of 2, sat down and stayed there without any problems until a little after noon. Then a couple came over and said we were in their chairs. My husband calmly told them that we got here at 9 am and have been here since. Well they wouldn't leave. The girl started getting really snottie with us. So I started giving it right back to her. I basically said unless she was going to physically take us off of the chairs to shut the F up and get out of our faces. The left saying they were going to get security. Never came back.

It was funny though because then we kept seeing them everywhere!

In all the cruises we've been on, we only ran into a problem 1 day. Went up to lido around 9 and there were NO CHAIRS. I'm talking NONE!!! But the deck was dead. So we moved the towels off of 2, sat down and stayed there without any problems until a little after noon. Then a couple came over and said we were in their chairs. My husband calmly told them that we got here at 9 am and have been here since. Well they wouldn't leave. The girl started getting really snottie with us. So I started giving it right back to her. I basically said unless she was going to physically take us off of the chairs to shut the F up and get out of our faces. The left saying they were going to get security. Never came back.

It was funny though because then we kept seeing them everywhere!

Heck yeah! Good for you. It's hard to believe people actually have the time to waste arguing something like that when they know they're wrong. At least you stood your ground. :D

Archived