1st Time Cruising with NCL

torres09

:confused:Hi,

We are a middle aged couple going on our first cruise in July next year.

We would appreciate any info on the best way of sorting out the tips whilst on board as we have not paid in advance and freinds who have been on other cruise lines have told us to negociate with the percer when we board the ship.

Also we are planning to sort out our own excurtions to Pisa from Livorno ,Rome from Civitavecchia and Pompeii from Naples any advice would be much appreciated.

You really don't need to be concerned with the tips as NCL will put a $12.00/person service charge on your ship account each day. If you order beverages, the tip is automatically added to the charge of the drink. We usually give an extra tip to our cabin stewards. We've never stayed in a suite, but I believe that people tip the conceirge and butler themselves. We also give a tip (a dollar or two) if we order room service. Hope this helps...enjoy your first cruise!

-Joanne

Hi,

Also we are planning to sort out our own excurtions to Pisa from Livorno, Rome from Civitavecchia and Pompeii from Naples any advice would be much appreciated.

In Livorno, you can take a shuttle from the ship to downtown Livorno and change for a bus to the train station. Pisa is a 15-minute train ride and then maybe a one-mile walk to the Cathedral and Leaning Tower.

In Civitavecchia, a free shuttle will take you from the ship to the gate to the port. Then it's a one-mile walk to the train station where a less-than-$20 round trip ticket will get you to Rome in a little more than an hour. I believe the ticket may also give you entrance to Rome's subway system.

There's nothing to "negotiate" in the way of tips. NCL will add $12 per day per person to your on-board account. This is more than fair gratuity for your room steward and the servers in the restaurants.

:confused:Hi,

We are a middle aged couple going on our first cruise in July next year.

We would appreciate any info on the best way of sorting out the tips whilst on board as we have not paid in advance and freinds who have been on other cruise lines have told us to negociate with the percer when we board the ship.

Also we are planning to sort out our own excurtions to Pisa from Livorno ,Rome from Civitavecchia and Pompeii from Naples any advice would be much appreciated.

I can't help with your excursions, but here's some information about the tipping.

You don't need to sort out any tips. NCL will automatically charge you $12 per person per day, and the charge will appear on your on-board account.

When you arrive on the ship, you'll be asked how you intend to pay. If in cash, you'll have to pay something upfront -- $300 is the amount I've heard, but it may be more. If you're putting it on a credit (or debit) card, they'll ask for your card. They'll scan off the information from that, then give each of you a card that becomes your identification for the ship, and also an on-board "credit card" (and your room key), your "on board account".

Other costs: If you order alcoholic beverages, sodas, specialty coffees -- anything on board and they ask for your card before delivering it -- the cost of that item will appear on your account. Drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic -- other than regular coffee, tea, milk and morning juice) will be billed with a 15% "service charge" added on -- the bartenders are not part of the tipping pool (which is covered by the $12 "service charge).

If you use spa services, you'll be charged for those, and there will be a service charge.

If you go to any of the specialty restaurants on board, you'll be charged a surcharge -- anywhere from $10 - $20, depending on the restaurant, and that will go on your on-board account.

If you have any doubt about whether the item you're contemplating purchasing (drink, restaurant meal, etc.) is something that you'll be billed for -- as opposed to the dining venues that are already part of your cruise fare -- you can always ask before they bring you the item, and simply decline.

On your last night on board, a bill will appear under your door -- you should check the bill against the receipts you've received from your on-board purchases. That's the time that you might need to go to the purser's desk to settle up anything that is wrong, or if you're paying in cash, give them any additional cash. The $12 per person per day charge will be on there, and that will be divided up by the cruise line to every crew member who is part of the tipping pool -- the room stewards, waiters, bus boys, etc.

If you want to..and this is not at all mandatory -- you can offer cash to your room steward on the last day. This would be in addition to the service charge that you're already paying. If he has done extra special things for you in the room, you might consider this. Otherwise, you don't need to bother.

I hope that's clear! Have a great first cruise!

I am taking my 26 year old daughter on a 10 day Cruise out of NYC on the NCL Gem, 24 Jan 2010 - I haven't booked it yet, but was wondering if what we can expect? She lives in Manhattan so we'll sail out of NYC - any suggestions, tips, inside suggestions?

Archived