HAL clientele in the Med?

cheffip

I had cruised in the Caribbean many times (with Celebrity, Princess and Costa) before taking my first Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity in September. One thing I noticed was the much larger concentration of passengers from the UK compared to North Americans. I certainly didn't mind this and had great (British) table companions. I've booked my first HAL cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam next September and I'm wondering what the typical HAL demographic is for their Med cruises in terms of nationality, average age etc.

I am noticing that all the cruise ships we have considered for a cruise that would be several months in the future are already nearly fully booked. However, when we have checked seat availability for ourselves on the planes that would get us to the departure ports, the planes from the US are nearly empty. My TA says that is because the cruises are being booked overwhelmingly by Europeans themselves. I am assuming this is due to the weaker dollar/stronger Euro?

It all depends on HAL doing "Promos" in other countries. On our 24 day Med cruise last July there was a BIG Promo for people from Australia and New Zealand of around 280 people.

We had other big groups from Holland, UK and Germany.

It is hard to say depending on what HAL is promoting at the time.

Phil

Hello "cheffip"

we are just been on our MS Noordam Mediterranean cruise – and like you in September.

We did have the well-known passenger quota - actually we saw the regular mix-up. So mostly US and Canadians, but also Australians and Europeans. But not a higher UK citizen number then usual.

For us, this mix-up is fine because we always socialize a lot while cruising.:)

The question about flight capacity I can maybe explain. Because especially on the last cruise we understood, that quiet a lot of US citizen come earlier and go later back.

They are also landing on lot of different European airports (so not obligatory Rom for Civitavecchia), and do meanwhile a pre & post cruise visit "tour de Europe.…"

This is actually a good manner – use the cruise and take the opportunity to see a bit more from the short and far surrounding area. => We do this regularly when our cruise starts in the States.;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007