Travel Insurance? Passport? HAL Air?

gregdude

This is a bait and switch thread! If you have ever wondered:

1) Do I really need travel insurance?

2) Do I really need a passport to take a US based cruise in the Caribbean?

3) Should I use HAL Air/Hotel packages, or look for the least expensive alt.?

Well, and this is only my opinion, take a look at what is currently happening to the poor passengers on NCL Dawn. Two thousand passengers, who expected to return to Miami this morning, were dropped off in San Juan because of power failures on the ship. On top of this unfortunate experience those passengers expecting to sail today out of Miami on the Dawn found out last night that their cruise had been canceled.

Travel insurance would help to take care of the financial part of this problem as well as helping to get passengers back to Miami.

A passport would also be helpful, although in this case they are flying within the United States system. What if this same incident resulted in having to fly home from Jamaica or Aruba? What no passport, then NO FLY.

HAL air/hotel packages are more expensive, but better than being stuck with worthless air tickets because you miss your flight!

This happened on NCL, but it could happen on any ship from any cruise line. Always play it safe. Sure this is a one in a million event, but peace of mind is a good thing.

What would you do if caught on the Dawn this past weekend? Read the NCL blog for all the details!

I'll go and read the blog in a second. Thanks for the info

BTW for others interested in reading what is/has happened to NCL's Dawn there are 2 threads.

1. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1097532

2. This is a passenger's Live review as it is happening: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1097353

I always purchase Platinum insurance for traveling with and through HAL. I always book my hotels through HAL and I always have my passport, just in case.

If I did not have the above, I'd be screwed!!

Joanie

Archived