Have category guarantee policies changed?

JennKach

I've been away from the boards for awhile, so forgive me if this has been covered recently. I've been trying to book our September cruise on the Star and NCL won't let me do a category guarantee. The travel agent spoke to them and was told guarantees won't be offered until the category sells out. Is this something new, or have I managed to only book a sold-out category in the past?

I was told the same thing. I am sailing on the NCL Star March 5 and although I see websites that have guarantee cabins available in that category, since I have a cabin assignment already (guarantee wasn't available when I first booked) they won't let me change to guarantee unless that category sells out. I have called my TA twice to ask the same question and the always call NCL and are told the same thing.

It can be. We've always received a minimum of three category upgrade, and once got a six category move from a low inside to mid-grade outside. The downside is you may not get a location you want. You could end up a long walk from the elevator or in a noisy area. We're not picky so it hasn't been too bad.

On the subject of upgrades; if I were to book a larger inside cabin, could they place me in a smaller outside cabin? Size of the room is more important to me than a window, so I will most likely stay away from GTY if that is the case.

On the subject of upgrades; if I were to book a larger inside cabin, could they place me in a smaller outside cabin? Size of the room is more important to me than a window, so I will most likely stay away from GTY if that is the case.

Yes, they could, since the outside is a higher category. Since you're concerned with the size of the cabin, then as you said, stay away from a guarantee.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

Archived