Sailing the Med

TEXASMUNK

Seems RCI stretches out the Med sailing season by a month early and a month too late. Those of you that love to said the Med....what are you thoughts? Is the weather good, bad, makes no difference?

Just thinking the late Med sailings in Nov can begn to run into some serious cool weather. The with sailing the Med in early April.

Input requested!!!!

We did the Med the last week of November 2007 and were very fortunate to have absolutely beautiful weather with temps ranging from the upper 60's (F) to the mid 70's (F). We did the 9 day Med cruise with a 15 day TA. In 24 days of cruising, we had one morning of showers (in Dubrovnik) that cleared by noon. The rest of the time was sunny and pleasant with seas that were perfectly calm for the entire trip. We were the luckiest cruisers in the world on that trip, but I don't know if that's the norm or not....It was a one-shot thing for us and we lucked out!

in the last part of the season, say end of november beggining of december, you will get cold weather but you will also get a lot less people in the ports. i went on a land tour of turkey in december 08 and when we were in ephesus, a popular tour destination for cruises, our group of 9 persons were almost the only ones on the site which was great for taking pictures, our guide told us that if it were summer, we wouldnt be able to walk without bumping into other people. I would also rather have cold weather for walking tours than hot weather. We are going to the med in dec 2010, and egypt should be wonderful that time of year, last time i was in egypt was in august 1981 and i can still remember the heat was unbearable.

We sailed the med in Jannuary and it was wonderful! The weather is pleasant, no swim suits outside by the pool, but otherwise very pleasant. The biggest advantage of fall and winter sailings is the crowds at the shore attractions are much smaller. Especially in Itatly. We had an almost private tour of rome in Februray and being from the midwest, I walked around during the day in a short sleve shirt, I did require a jacket at night, and the natives thought we were abusing our 9 month old baby by having her out in 30 degree weather (she was bundled up and in a stroller and laughing and eating gelato all the time). We toured the Alhambra in Spain in January and had a very relaxed tour. Our guide said starting in March they had 4000 people per hour touring it and if you missed an interal check point time they kicked you out. I recomend offseason crusing in europe. Of course I dont go there for the beaches. Enjoy the lower prices and the smaller crowds of off season cruising.

Seems RCI stretches out the Med sailing season by a month early and a month too late. Those of you that love to said the Med....what are you thoughts? Is the weather good, bad, makes no difference?

Just thinking the late Med sailings in Nov can begn to run into some serious cool weather. The with sailing the Med in early April.

Input requested!!!!

We were on the Voyager on Nov. 1-8 and spent 5 days in Barcelona. Out of thirteen days, we experienced one rainy day and one overcast day. The temperatures were moderate. I am always cold but was comfortable with a light jacket. DH is always hot and wore no jacket.

Another factor to consider was the sea which was considered rough--although we did not feel it very much. We could not get into Livorno or Marseille.

We did an Easterm Med Nov. 10-17, 2007. The weather was 60s or so. It was great for touring and seeing sites. We are not beach/pool types so it was great for us. According to Weather Underground, the temps seemed in the average range for the time of year. If you want to see the sites, I think it is a great time of year -- if you want to lay out on the beach, go earlier in the season.

Archived