Change to itinerary - Winter Wonderland Cruise

LouiseB

Hello all,

Whilst trying to book my excursions - I noticed something odd - one of our ports had just disappeared! Seems like our itinery is changing. Because of the climate conference taking place in Copenhagen whilst we were due to dock and fears relating to protesters, Cunard have just informed me that we will now not be stopping in Copenhagen but will be calling into Amsterdam instead.

Anyone got any ideas on whats best to do in a day in Amsterdam?

Louise

This sounds like an almighty disaster!

The main reason that we had booked this trip, was to meet Danish friends and spend time in Tivoli.

I have absolutely no wish to return to Amsterdam.

It also means that they save a bundle on fuel as the trip will be hundreds of miles shorter.

Not at all happy and will have to consider my position if this is indeed the case.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I spoke to Cunard Customer Service earlier this evening and understand a letter has been sent out today to all guests by first class post so should be with us tomorrow.

Hello all,

Anyone got any ideas on whats best to do in a day in Amsterdam?

Louise

There are so many things to see! In one day, we took a canal cruise, visited The Van Gogh and Reijsmuseum (which are very near each other), took a tram to the Dutch Resistance museum, and a tram to the Attic church museum which is in the red light district where we saw three women in their windows! On another day we visited the Hermitage Amsterdam museum (it's a new permanent Russian Hermitage museum with travelling exhibits), and the Anne Frank Museum (the hotel concierge told us to visit it around 5:30 when the crowds are gone, and he was correct!).

I am disappointed to hear of this.

Copenhagen was a key reason we had book this trip. We have been to

Amsterdam for several days and have seen all the sights we care to see.

We were looking forward to spending the day in Tivoli Gardens.

Big time bummer.

Not at all happy and will have to consider my position if this is indeed the case.

I'm not sure that you can actually do anything save cancel at some astronomic cancellation fee.

They are entitled to do this. And whilst I appreciate your disappointment, I see their point too. Would you want to be responsible for 2000+ people when there are likely to be violent protests in the city?

It's a bit late, but then we don't know how difficult it was to get an alternative berth.

Interestingly, neither the FCO (UK), nor the Danish Embassy are advising tourists to stay away. The general threat level is the same for Norway & The Netherlands.

My problem is that we have made arrangements with Danish friends to spend the day with them in Copenhagen. They in turn have arranged to travel some 250 miles each way, by air, in order to meet with us.

Surely somebody at Cunard must have heard about the international Climate Conference before yesterday? Or is this just an excuse?

So much to do in Amsterdam. If you enjoy museums go to the Van Gogh museum, for history go to the Anne Frank home/museum and for fun there is always the red light district...:D

I like your reply.......thats good...!!!!!

It's a pity that some of our fellow cruisers are disappointed by this change. But on the other hand, this is one of the reasons that we love cruising: the cruise line provides for the safety of its passengers, leaving us in peace of mind to a significant degree.

Plus, we now have two days to enjoy Amsterdam, comparing to one in Copenhagen.

So, Cunard, nice change.

It's a pity that some of our fellow cruisers are disappointed by this change. But on the other hand, this is one of the reasons that we love cruising: the cruise line provides for the safety of its passengers, leaving us in peace of mind to a significant degree.

Plus, we now have two days to enjoy Amsterdam, comparing to one in Copenhagen.

So, Cunard, nice change.

We see this differently Robert. One of the things I don't like about cruising is having my itinerary changed by the cruise line very close to the sailing date. This is the second time in two years it has happened.

I think before Cunard drops a port for safety reasons then that port should be on a travelers advisory for either the US or UK State Department, or whatever it is called in the UK. I find it hard to believe that Cunard just found out about the Climate Conference.

And I would much prefer one day in Copenhagen to two days in Amsterdam. That is why I chose this cruise.

Now it is too late for me to adjust.

Not the best way this could have been handled.

We see this differently Robert. One of the things I don't like about cruising is having my itinerary changed by the cruise line very close to the sailing date. This is the second time in two years it has happened.

My friend (if you allow me to call you so, as I don't know your name), I really feel sorry about your disappointment. It is really frustrating finding on last minute that your favourite destination has been cancelled...

Like you, it is also for me the second time in two years that this has happened. Last year on QM2 we were going to call in Costa Rica and we called in Barbados instead. But I admit that I was luckier than you, as both times I preferred the new destination over the old and these changes rather added to my enjoyment.

I also cannot say anything about the safety situation. It's not my field of expertise. But it seems plausible that turbulence may occur in cities where such Conferences take place. Our governments may not find it necessary to warn isolated travellers, but perhaps it is difficult to run organized shore excursions with 2,000 people in a city where protests happen.

In any case, since I suppose there is nothing to do now, I wish you to have as good a time as possible and enjoy the beautiful ship that QV is.

Robert, I do hope you continue to call me a friend. My name is Bill Howard.

Thank you for your kind wishes. My wife and I have been to Copenhagen only once before and only for a few hours. We were enchanted with Tivoli Gardens and wanted to spend more time there on this cruise.

I think Amsterdam is a great city. We have spent several days there and enjoyed them very much.

I am sure we will enjoy this cruise regardless of the ports. We like Cunard and expect to be impressed by Queen Victoria. We enjoyed the Queen Mary last December.

We leave in less than a week.

Thanks again.

I think before Cunard drops a port for safety reasons then that port should be on a travelers advisory for either the US or UK State Department, or whatever it is called in the UK. I find it hard to believe that Cunard just found out about the Climate Conference.

And I would much prefer one day in Copenhagen to two days in Amsterdam. That is why I chose this cruise.

Now it is too late for me to adjust.

Not the best way this could have been handled.

Absolutely 100% correct!

As you will have read, we had particular reasons for choosing this one and certainly would not have done so if the new itinerary published when it should have been.

Neither the US government nor the UK FCO are advising against travel.

What would Robert think if his TA to NYC was scrapped and instead the QM went round in circles for a few days then took him to Dublin for a couple of days?

Im booked with Fred Olsen doing their Christmas Markets Cruise Dec 12th & Have just found out this morning that we wont be calling into Copenhagen also due to the summit. Our itinary has been changed to Arhus which is the next largest city in Denmark :(

Very disappointing as we were looking forward to seeing Tivoli all festive & lit up. :confused:

Have a great cruise everyone

We are also hugely disappointed. I can understand (if not entirely sympathise with) the reasons for the change: as I live in London I'm used to large protests, in fact I've been on one or two! But I can see that not everyone enjoys running the banner gauntlet. If this change had been handled well I would have been disappointed but not angry.

What *has* dismayed me is Cunard's handling of this.

The notice has been given very late on (long after many of us have made concrete plans for our time in Copenhagen.) The climate change conference is not exactly a surprise party is it!

But most of all, Cunard don't seem to realise (or, perhaps, care about) the level of disappointment or disruption this might cause. The letter stopped short of an apology for the effect on our holidays (I think that the wording was "we a sorry that this decision proved necessary" or similar.) And when we called customer service the response was essentially "yeah, well, what are you going to do about it."

So I'm disappointed in the itinerary change, but I realise that these things happen. But frankly I would have expected better from Cunard in the way that they handled it. We were loyal Cunarders (we got engaged on the Caronia and we're sentimental that way) but next time we'll be looking elsewhere.

Emma

(Oh, and thanks for the Amsterdam hints, from the nice people upthread. See, if Cunard had even inserted a "lovely things to do in Amsterdam" leaflet with the letter then this change might have felt a bit less high handed.)

So sorry that those of you counting on a port will be disappointed, and for no good reason, such as tendering in inclement weather.

It really gets me angry that a bunch of radicals can cause disruptions that hurt people and businesses. Some of these protestors are in it only for the 'action', and could not even care what cause they protesting.

I believe that they should hold these conferences in a remote location that would make it inaccessable and/or inhospitable to protestors and in any event wouldn't affect others.

Like on a small island or even on a chartered cruise ship.

Archived