Just back, went to Dickenson Beach

christian19

Just wanted to FYI- we didn't have plans on Antigua so were going "wing it" due to lack of good info on what to do here. We slept in and then spent a couple hours shopping in the port area. There was a decent amount of shops here- very touristy, but good variety. Then in the afternoon we took a cab ($3 per person each way) to Dickenson Beach. We sat in front of Sneaky Pete's. Chairs were $5 each. The water was nice, but cloudy and there was no snorkeling. There were a few vendors on the beach, but not many. This was the beach of Sandals Grand Antiguan. We got in trouble for buying a drink at a neighboring bar instead of Sneaky Pete's- woops. Bought rum in coconuts from a vendor. Bought expensive sandwiches from the neighboring bar/restaurant. All in all a fine trip to the beach.

It was a pretty quick ride to the beach- 10 minutes or so. There are taxis everywhere- both at the beach (especially around Sneaky Petes) and at the port. We were probably asked 15 times if we needed a cab but no worries- the guy who dropped us off came back and met us at the designated time so we stuck with him. I saw jetskis in front of Sneaky Petes but no other water sports.

Did they have any kneeboarding or other motorized activities at Sneaky Pete's?

We were at Dickenson back in Sept., and it was possible to use some of the Sandals Resort's water sports equipment as long as Sandal's guests were not using them. This was, however, the off-season. This option may not be available during the high season.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Sneaky Pete's on the 22 Dec 09 and enjoyed the day. At the pier we just asked for a cab to Dickenson's Bay and were quickly placed into a group cab. The cab dropped us off at the closest end to the Pier but Sneaky Pete's was at the extreme far end. We were approached by other bar owners along the way trying to get our business.

The beach chairs were $ 5 pp and we ended up under a pallapa with a round table but they also have tables you can sit at and drink. They had your typical rum punch for $ 6 an assortment of beers from $ 3-6 and bottled water was just $ 2. We rented a nice jet ski for $ 45 / half hour.

The beach was beautiful and the water was warm. The photos were taken just beside Pete's. Sandals covers most of the beach and you can swim in front of it but there are security people at each gate. There were not many beach vendors around.

To return the bartender arranged for a cab at the standard rate.

PIC_0932.jpg.0c47b22367face360e674714a096f243.jpg

1046000160_dickensonsmall.jpg.c1928390b7c204ee5abfef71eeb313f1.jpg

277566511_Dickensonsmall2.jpg.5f8497ec5efbf63495d7ac401a683656.jpg

1652269031_dickensonsmall3.jpg.f681a49b31308ee99a4310c4e5fe3a04.jpg

We spent our day in Antigua back in Nov. at Dickensons beach. It was just ok. I wasn't impressed with the Sandals Resort. I always thought Sandals were very nice. Even though we weren't allowed to go onto the property, just from looking at it from the beach, it was not impressive. The beach area was nice though. We like to walk along the beach area at the different islands.

We also did some shopping around St. John's before we got back on the ship. I always love to shop at the markets. Lots of fun, and some nice bargains.

Off topic BUT I got into DREADFUL trouble for spelling Canuck ...Canuk !! is there a right way & wrong way or is it regional?

You are correct in writing Canuck pronounced Can-uk. It is sometimes incorrectly spelled Canuk and I had to laugh when someone met me and called me Can-ook.

Tomato, Tomaato, all the same as Canadians we are polite and don't bother much about things like this.

Canuk

Archived