Attention Recent Radiance Cruisers: Questions from a Diamond Member

Sailfish

It's been a while since we cruised with Royal Caribbean; we have a cruise on the Radiance coming up on Jan 2, 2010 and I have a few questions that maybe you can help answer:

1) Does the Radiance (9 night cruise) still have a Crown & Anchor Party? If so, what night is it scheduled?

2) I am sure they will have a Diamond/Diamond+ Party; what night is that scheduled? Can you order drinks and did they serve nice appetizers?

3) Entertainment: your impressions, please. Is there a Boleros still on the ship with Latin music?

4) Not to miss activities: any recommendations?

5) Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle party: did your sailing have one? How was the turn-out? What day was it scheduled?

6) Your feedback on the food: was it what you expected?

7) Best thing about your trip

Background:

Royal Caribbean used to be our first choice when we cruised; have not for at least 5 cruises. We have been cruising more with Princess and Celebrity, but decided to try Royal Caribbean again after not so stellar cruise on the AOS - mostly disappointed with food quality and service. Dramatic price drops on cruise in Jan 2010 prompted us to book Radiance. Last cruise on Radiance when she was new - love it back then!

Things are not going to be the same, I know, but hoping we won't regret booking Radiance (instead of Princess to Mexico). Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Suzi

It's been a while since we cruised with Royal Caribbean; we have a cruise on the Radiance coming up on Jan 2, 2010 and I have a few questions that maybe you can help answer:

1) Does the Radiance (9 night cruise) still have a Crown & Anchor Party? If so, what night is it scheduled?

2) I am sure they will have a Diamond/Diamond+ Party; what night is that scheduled? Can you order drinks and did they serve nice appetizers?

3) Entertainment: your impressions, please. Is there a Boleros still on the ship with Latin music?

5) Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle party: did your sailing have one? How was the turn-out? What day was it scheduled?

Background:

Royal Caribbean used to be our first choice when we cruised; have not for at least 5 cruises. We have been cruising more with Princess and Celebrity, but decided to try Royal Caribbean again after not so stellar cruise on the AOS - mostly disappointed with food quality and service. Dramatic price drops on cruise in Jan 2010 prompted us to book Radiance. Last cruise on Radiance when she was new - love it back then!

Things are not going to be the same, I know, but hoping we won't regret booking Radiance (instead of Princess to Mexico). Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Suzi

I did a couple of the 5-nighters this fall but can answer a couple of your questions. There was a Platinum/Diamond/D+ party, and you could order whatever you wanted for drinks. As I recall, staff circulated with munchies instead of having a table for you to help yourself.

I thought the entertainment was first rate, far better than on Mariner. They had the usual pool band, a Latin band and a soft rock/dance combo band. The Latin and soft rock bands played in the Centrum or Colony Club. There's no Bolero's on the ship - I don't think there ever was, although I recall being on one of the Radiance class ships that re-named the Centrum Bar Bolero's.

The food in the MDR is so-so IMHO. I greatly preferred Chops/Portofino and happily paid the surcharge. They had a Diamond breakfast in the Breakers dining room (overflow from the MDR) with full menu and service plus specialty coffees. Also had a Diamond party nightly in the Hollywood Odyssey to compensate for your being booted from the CL. No munchies, just free wine, champagne (I think) & soda; 25% off other drinks.

Best thing about my trip: being back on the most beautiful class of ship in the RCI fleet.:)

We just did the 5 night Radiance cruise last month. There was a D/D+ party with drinks and a table of hot appetizers and another table with petit fours and chocolate dipped strawberries.

There has never been a Boleros on the Radiance, so can't help you there. There was a band, Model Majik, that was VERY good. They alternated between playing in the Colony Club and the Centrum.

Just off the 9 day that sailed 11/21/09. Food was so, so, but the beef dishes were actually very good. Prime rib, roast beef were actually fantastic. Chops of course was great.

For the parties for P/D/D+ they would not allow us to order drinks, just what was served along with a few hot apps and finger foods.

Ixtapa is a great port and you will enjoy it. The ship is in great shape but the Solarium was very hot(mentioned to Guest services manager). You may get brownish water in your cabin due to an old filter call and let them know right away!!

GREAT crew, entertainment was good but not great, centrum entertainment was the best we have ever had on RCI, Boleros was on Monarch.

Best thing about the trip was someone else cooked,cleaned, and picked up after us!!!:D:D;)

Background:

Thanks.

Suzi

I just returned for the 9-night Riviera cruise and have a few answers:

There was a Crown and Anchor Party on a port day and a Plat/Dia/Dia+ Party on the second to last sea night (formal). We did not attend either.

Some people we traveled with absolutely loved the second production show. We spent the majority of time in the centrum area an hear all types of music played in that area. Most nights it was latin and quit e a few people were there.

We were disappointed with the meet and mingle party as it was very structured which did not allow for people to interact. We only stayed a short bit.

Food was typical cruise fare. Some was really good and some was average. I liked it better than Carnival, but Princess has more variety. The Windjammer was very good though. Portofino was our favorite dining experience.

We had a blast this week though we were completely disappointed w/ our balcony cabin as it was obstructed by the tender which we had not known. It is a terrible design.

As we are sailing on the 9 night Radiance cruise leaving on Jan 2 2010 can you tell me if/when the ship changed time between San Diego and PV?

As we are sailing on the 9 night Radiance cruise leaving on Jan 2 2010 can you tell me if/when the ship changed time between San Diego and PV?

Once before Cabo (-1) and after Mazatlan before PV (-1).

I am trying to figure out in advance of the cruise, what tours we want to do and the days certain shipboard activities are scheduled, so I can note them on my cruise calendar and not have to deal with this while on the cruise.

kkorman: do you recall what day they scheduled the CC Meet & Mingle?

critterchick: was there a celebrity headliner aboard? Not sure if Royal Caribbean still does this, but we saw Jerry Lewis once aboard the Viking Serenade many years ago, and Phillis Diller on a ship in the Caribbean. Entertainment was one big reason we sailed with Royal Caribbean - and I was wondering if they still invited special guest celebrities on.

Other Questions:

1. We made arrangements to dine at Chops mid-cruise - any recommendations?

2. Activities while at sea: anything you liked and would recommend we go to?

3. We booked late traditional dining as I wasn't aware at the time that Royal Caribbean also has 'anytime dining". If you opted for anytime dining, were you seated with others, or did they put you alone at a table.

4. Happy Hour: did they have any specials?

Thanks again, everyone!

critterchick: was there a celebrity headliner aboard? Not sure if Royal Caribbean still does this, but we saw Jerry Lewis once aboard the Viking Serenade many years ago, and Phillis Diller on a ship in the Caribbean. Entertainment was one big reason we sailed with Royal Caribbean - and I was wondering if they still invited special guest celebrities on.

Other Questions:

3. We booked late traditional dining as I wasn't aware at the time that Royal Caribbean also has 'anytime dining". If you opted for anytime dining, were you seated with others, or did they put you alone at a table.

Thanks again, everyone!

We only went to one show in 10 nights (did a B2B in October), but it was fabulous, an a cappella singing group called Mosaic. They aren't regulars on the ship, though (I think they performed on one of the Oasis pre-inaugurals). I confess that, not really being a show person, I didn't check the Compass for that sort of stuff. I do think RCI still has headliner shows, though, just not on every sailing.

Chops - love the roasted potatoes with parmesan & proscuitto as a side dish. Make sure they're cooked crispy, though, not soupy. Ask for Manmar as your waiter. The ribeye is delish, but huge. I couldn't finish it.

We did MTD and the one time we went to the MDR it was just our party of 4. A friend had a ton of trouble with one Maitre d', who insisted that they could only dine there at 6:00 or 8:00. I don't know if he's been straightened out about that yet.

Happy hour - in the Diamond lounge or generally? Generally, they have a drink of the day that goes, well, all day. In the lounge it's regular bar prices less 25% between 5:00 and 8:30.

I am trying to figure out in advance of the cruise, what tours we want to do and the days certain shipboard activities are scheduled, so I can note them on my cruise calendar and not have to deal with this while on the cruise.

kkorman: do you recall what day they scheduled the CC Meet & Mingle?

Other Questions:

Thanks again, everyone!

1. Cruise Critic party was day 2 at noon.

2. I think the night after first formal and the night before second formal were the least favorite dinner nights.

3. Activities were typical.

4. We did My Time... sat with a gentleman traveling alone the first night then the Head Waiter asked if we would like a certain table every night and said it would be free after 8 any night. Our group of five sat together the remainder of the cruise. Wait staff was excellent... even got us souffles the last night because we were at Portofino the night they were served.

5. I did not see any special.

And to answer an earlier question, ship time = port time the entire cruise.

I can't speak for the recent cruises, but our Oct 11th 2008 Hawaii Cruise was fantastic, Food, entertainment, Centrum entertainment, M&M, Welcome Back party was good. Without my compass handy, don't recall the gentleman who played the violin in the Centrum but he was terrific. I would have enjoyed seeing him for one of the evening shows.

Thanks, everyone.

We booked two tours and prepaid for our dinner at Chops, so we are are all set. Anyone know about the wine package - can it also be purchased online? Since we are not allowed to bring our own wine, I am wondering if this is considered to be a good deal.

Thanks again for all your input.

Suzi

Archived