Altun Ha or cave tubing?

andeevie

We are going on our cruise with carnival in the next couple of weeks. I have read great reviews for both of these excursions and want to know which to do. We are doing a lot of snorkeling and water type things in our other ports, would maybe like to see some ruins, but dont know if the cave tubing is worth missing out on. Also what are some reliable private tours?

This will be our first cruise

I believe this is the only port you can do cavetubing in. There are other ports where you can visit Mayan ruins, but I don't know what the rest of your itinerary looks like to say if ruins excursions are available. Contact Major Tom for a good cave tubing experience. If the lunch stop is still at Xihaba's, some of the best chicken and rice you'll eat. Yum!

We have done both in Belize, the River Wallace/Altum Hun (spelling) tour and cave tubing with Major Tom. The ruins tour we really enjoyed, got to see Belize on the bus ride, the river was fun and saw a lot of animals. The ruins although small compared to others were impressive. It was an all day tour and not sorry we did it. The cave tubing was ok, not really what I expected. Although the 2 caves were neat it was too long a day for the amount of time in the tubes. I expected to just float thru the caves, but instead we were pulled thru by our guide. The ruins was thru the ship and no waiting around. The cave tubing becuase you have to tender was too much waiting doing nothing waiting for people to show up. We were on the second tender from the ship, too many people think you cannot get off until the ships excursions are done, not true. All depends what you are interested in, but the cave tubing did nothing for us.

I did the cave tubing last week....loved it, the caves were incredible. But it does take a long time especially if you combine it with a zip-line or ATV. If you go do NOT use Major Tom, we would have had plenty of time if they were organized..., instead we were either waiting on them or rushing through the tour..... ever hear the term "hurry up and wait"

...and we paid them for lunch, but never got it, I guess they were too busy.

Archived