Explorer of the Seas

Bangus

I am currently booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the July 31 Western cruise and have had some thoughts about changing to Mariner of the seas same time frames. The Itinerary on the Mariner seems better any thoughts on differences between trips. Also I am booked in a category H room anybody been in a similar cabin concerned about the noise from the night club. Any help would be appreciated

If it were me, I'd stick with the exotic western on the Explorer. I say that for 2 reasons:

1 - Costa Maya is beautiful - one of the best ports to dock in the entire Caribbean

2 - I hate Ocho Rios. People are rude and pushy and the area isn't the best nor is it pretty to look at. You may be lucky and dock at the shopping center but if you aren't lucky, you dock at the '007' dock which is a rusted horrible mess.

I am doing the same itinerary on Carnival in May as the Explorer is doing. I like the sound of docking in Honduras and Belize. A little out of the norm from every other Western Caribbean cruise

I would pick Mariner, even though Explorer is my favorite ship, for exactly the reasons that phlydude would not. I love Jamaica and had a blast in Ocho Rios. Nothing I've read about Costa Maya makes it sound very intersting to me.

Ive been on both these itenaries on the Voyager and the Explorer. I prefered going to Belize and Costa Maya over Labadee and Jamacia. The snorkeling in Belize is out of this world as well as the airboat excursion my wife took. We could not beat the 30 minute massages on the beach for 20.00 in Costa Maya. Just head for the beaches in the village. Snorkeling out there on that beaches reef was excellent as well. How I feel about Ocho Rios is this: Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. No reason to go back. Would I take a cruise again that included Belize and Costa Maya, In a heart beat. BTW, I liked the Explorer better then the Voyager.

As far as the sound levels go being next to the club. I had seen this question many times and when we were on the Explorer in Oct, I checked this out. On the port side I could here the constant thumping of the bass of the music in the halls in between cabins 3554 and 3564. I would have to assume since I was standing right next to the cabin doors, that the pax in those rooms would hear it also. On The starbord side of the ship I could not hear anything at all in the corridors near the Chamber.

I would pick Mariner, even though Explorer is my favorite ship, for exactly the reasons that phlydude would not. I love Jamaica and had a blast in Ocho Rios. Nothing I've read about Costa Maya makes it sound very intersting to me.

Thanks both I am traveling with a group that has age ranges from 5 to 74 does that change things? Any thoughts on can miss excursions? How about Category H?

I am also currently booked on the Explorer (Sept 11/05) doing the Labadee route and am thinking (long and hard) about changing to the Mariner as well.

Have been on the Explorer and have also done Eastern and Western routes - I too prefer Western as Jamaica is beautiful. Have never had a problem there with pushy people.

I to am wondering if we should try departing from any other area rather than Miami.

The cabin that I have booked is available on the Mariner as well.

Will be travelling with DD (9) and are thinking about hitting WDW at the same time while she is still young enough to enjoy it.

If anybody has any feedback at all, I would appreciate it very much.

Bangus - my only suggestion to you would at least try to get a balcony cabin as it is money well spent.

Different strokes for different folks! :D

We did the waterfalls in Jamaica which were great but we saw many people struggling, especially since they insist on using the human chain at all times. I'm a big guy and I don't expect the little girl or older lady in front of me to help me out if it is a tough area to traverse. On the flip side, there was a gentleman a little older than I who was the same size as me and he struggled to the point where his wife was asking me to help him out when he needed to take a big step down or climb up a steep incline. The older folks may have some troubles with the falls but are always able to walk the stairs along the side of the falls back to the top.

Once you leave, don't tell any of the vendors your name as they'll have it carved into a piece of mohagany quicker than you can shake their hand. They grab you, pull you into their tents, chase you down, try to make you buy things. I don't particularly like that. I am there to fuel your economy, you aren't leaving a positive impression when your pushy like that.

Costa Maya on the other hand was a dock that went into a shopping area that had both stores and small vendors selling their goods. They were barterers but never grabby. If you go here, be warned - there are a lot of Mexican handicrafts with very sexual positions/suggestions. Leave the kids outside of the tented areas!! The shopping area had a couple bars, a pool for public use along with some decent shopping (not as good as Cozumel but still you could find some very nice things). The beaches there are very nice and really the only tours to do are of the ruins and take 5-7 hours. Maybe because at this point in the cruise all I wanted to do was relax, this port really appealed to me.

Ultimately, we could talk all we want about which was our favorite but you have to decide on which is best for you.

Keep this in mind though, which ever you don't do you could always do on a later cruise!! ;)

Will be travelling with DD (9) and are thinking about hitting WDW at the same time while she is still young enough to enjoy it.

I don't think anyone could ever outgrow Disneyworld! I am 29 and have been there 10 times with only 1 trip before I was 21 (I was 4 at the time). I was there in December and enjoyed even more so than all the times past. That place is truly magical!

...end thread drift

We cruised the Mariner last year and Voyager the year before on the Western Itinerary and loved both ships. We decided to book the Explorer to try a few different ports of call with some familiar ones. We liked Jamaica, but after going to the same port twice, we feel that there is little more we would like to see in Ochi. In contrast, even though we have been to Cozumel twice, we would still like to experience more and there is some awesome snorkeling there. We did not make Cayman on Mariner due to H. Ivan, so it will be a treat to go back next year. I would recommend both. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks for all the input seems like the H category may be ok although I would have gotten a balcony but to many people in the group and we are looking to stay together. If anyone has further input would like to hear from you

Archived