Duty Free ?

Aussie One

If you are talking about arriving at Southampton, nothing is open when you dock & P&O can't get rid of you quick enough! I think you can only buy duty free if the ship has actually stopped at Duty free place like Gibraltar, but before you get back home.

Can you buy duty free on the ship when you reach the port where you disenbark from your cruise?

You say "when I reach the port" then go on to say on Celebrity you bought it before you reached the port, so that is why I am a little confused. You can buy D/F goods on P&O ships as long as the ship has stopped at a D/F port, you get them at the time of purchase.

I could buy duty free from the ships shop the day before it finalised the cruise but not during cruise can i do this on P&O ? A one liter bottle of scotch cost 7 usa$

i don,t smoke but cigs and perfume where available also.

• 1 year later...

i haven't yet sailed p&o but i do know they only sell duty free when in international waters you would normaly find the shops shut the evening before the ship reaches its disenbarking port that they shut all the shops by 9pm and don't open them again. recentley i went with celebrity to ireland and duty free tobaco was limited to 40 ciggaretes a day and i don't think you could buy alchol

Once outside the EU you can buy duty free on any P&O ship. There is a price list in your cabin services book and you can order through your cabin steward. They sometimes have special offers on towards the end of a cruise so maybe wait until the last day.

Brian

We're just back from a P&O cruise and they would let us pay for duty free on board at anytime but could not collect until the last cruise day but you can buy eg. bottles of spirit onboard at anytime for your cabin and it's only a £1 of a difference (£14.50 against the duty free price of £13.50).

We did buy from the duty free shop in port at Palma (£13.00 litre of bacardi) and no one bothered when talking back to ship.

Think this maybe unique to P&O as I'm told the other cruise lines do not allow alcohol to be brought on board for consumption.

Does that mean we can buy alcohol in duty-free at Gatwick on our way out to Barbados and then take it onto Azura without having it taken off us as we board the ship? As we have a balcony cabin this cruise, we'd like to enjoy an occasional aperitif there.

Does that mean we can buy alcohol in duty-free at Gatwick on our way out to Barbados and then take it onto Azura without having it taken off us as we board the ship? As we have a balcony cabin this cruise, we'd like to enjoy an occasional aperitif there.

Yes, you will be fine. P&O dont restrict you taking alcohol onboard unless you look or are drunk. Nice as you can buy local tipples from various ports. However bear in mind their in cabin prices for drinks are extremely reasonable so you may not wish to go to such trouble. Gin, Vodka for instance £13 a litre.

Archived