Medical Ins. after Heart Surgery - rules?

MAXII

Hi:

My hubby is scheduled for heart surgery in January and we have a cruise planned in October. Surgeons and Drs. assure us he will be as good as new and will be good for travel May onwards, even international long haul flights.

One insuror has told us however, that they do not offer any medical insurance for folks after heart surgery - they told us that all insurors will now consider my dh as a pre-determined risk of heart attack.:eek:

Surely that is not right - We will be checking with our usual agent, but surely we will be able to get medical travel insurance - gulp, won't we?:confused:

Not being able to cruise - what an unbearable thought.

Hi:

My hubby is scheduled for heart surgery in January and we have a cruise planned in October. Surgeons and Drs. assure us he will be as good as new and will be good for travel May onwards, even international long haul flights.

One insuror has told us however, that they do not offer any medical insurance for folks after heart surgery - they told us that all insurors will now consider my dh as a pre-determined risk of heart attack.:eek:

Surely that is not right - We will be checking with our usual agent, but surely we will be able to get medical travel insurance - gulp, won't we?:confused:

Not being able to cruise - what an unbearable thought.

assuming you are from the US, you can almost always buy travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it within a few days of your first payment for the cruise. Also some more expensive insurance will allow you to do that later on. Also the mere fact that you have had surgery may or may not mean that it is a prior existing conditions as it is defined in this insurance policy. It gets complicated but there will be insurance that covers without excluding his pre-existing condition.

You need to get more info from your insurer. I do understand that in England you may have problems getting insurance to cover this and I am not sure about Canada.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/plans/index.html

look here put in the info and see what they tell you

You can get insurance for (almost) anything but you have to be prepared to pay for it :( I suggest shopping around, perhaps via an insurance broker who can offer more impartial advice than specific insurance companies. Please don't be tempted not to declare your husband's medical history because it will almost certainly make your policy null and void.

If you are in Canada: most banks offer travel insurance. And check with Blue Cross....

I can't remember who it was with, but I priced out travel insurance online for my FIL (87 y.o.), and there didn't seem to be any problem getting HIM insurance -- though I did not hit the "Buy" button.

BlueX of Canada excludes prior existing conditions- and underwrites as well if you are over 61

Why are there always exclusions?

Every insurance contract carries exclusions, for the simple reason that an insurer cannot cover every risk run by every client under any condition and maintain affordable insurance premiums.

The most common exclusions are:

• Any preexisting illness, that was diagnosed prior to leaving on your trip.

• Travelling against your doctor’s advice.

• Any risk taken by the insured that surpasses those considered insurable, such as taking part in a race, an extreme sport, an illegal act or using drugs.

• And others, the details of which can be found in the What is not covered section.

The best way to be prepared is to read your contract. You will no doubt find that most exclusions are based on common sense.

Hi everyone: Many thanks for all the responses. P. Blue Cross was the insuror that we had called and one we have used for many years, so we really have little experience with other insurance companies.

Thankyou SMEYER418 for the link to the insure my trip site, that is very useful.

We certainly would never travel without medical insurance and we figured we would have to pay a premium to be covered, that is no problem as long as we can travel:) Phew, we are breathing a sigh of relief after hearing all the good info. here!

For sure, we will be making sure that whomever sells us insurance is clear on the issue and I will be reading the small print however long it takes before we sign!

Have a good weekend all and thanks again.

Archived