Help with B2B Serenade Cruise Experiences

Can anyone tell me their experiences from doing SOS B2B cruises from San Juan?

-- The cruises are port intensive. Was it too much to do two cruises?

-- Did you like the B2B aspect?

-- I like snorkeling and the water. On which islands would you book tours and on which islands would you give yourself the day off to just sit back and relax either by the pool on-board the ship or just get off the ship and find a good place to drink/eat lunch in town?

I am thinking about booking the Serenade of the Seas for B2B cruises in Jan/Feb 2011. The cruises leave from San Juan and are port intensive with:

-- Tortola, British Virgin Island

-- St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

-- St. Kitts

-- Roseau, Dominica

-- Barbados

followed by

-- St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

-- St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

-- Antigua

-- St. Lucia

-- Grenada

Thank you

Art

several of us doing the b2b on jan 9/ jan 16th ---.....and some doing 16/23rd...

have done this intensive itinerary for 1 week a couple times-- you have to pick a few islands you really want to explore--- if you run every single day -you'll need a vacation from your vacation.... Several ports we've been to already -so will make our own "sea" day -- with no crowds,,, or just wander off after the ship crowds have left in the morning.

if you go to ports of call, on these boards, there are lots of good recomendations for snorkel trips and what to do on each island...

check out our roll call for more info...

Sandy

We did a B2B on the Seranade and the Adventure last January.We really enjoyed it ,so this year we will be on a B2B on the Seranade from Jan23 to Feb 6.Luv the ports we r going to,have been to seven of them already.Just counting the days.

One of the frequent posters from the SOS B2B Jan 9/Jan16 2010 posting site Bill from Wisconsin put out a great 3 part video on his 2009 trip for 1 leg of this itinerary.

Poster Sandy knows of whom I am referrring.

Anyhow, if you Google Serenade of the Seas YouTube you can watch this and get some ideas.

Also another couple put out a YouTube multiple parts which gives island by island - same Google technique.

All in all great stuff to get an overview of what there is to do.

As for myself I cruise to go to locations not to sit on a ship in port.

I am not rich enough to cruise frequently so I have to make the most

of every minute.

If being on a white sand beach swimming in azure blue water is too tiring

and exploring tropical places for which I have flown 1500 miles and sailed

1000 miles to see is wearing me out, then just bury me now and put someone else in my place who can enjoy it.

I can always sleep on the plane ride home.

One suggestion - take an excursion to St. John from St. Thomas, my DW

enjoys snorkeling there.

Carpe Diem - Seize the moment.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think all the islands are pretty much the same. They all have nice beaches and the same duty free shopping. See how you feel and play it day by day if you like, or just find out how to do a beach day on your own, like in St Thomas you can cab it to Cokie Beach and relax until your cooked and then head back in the waiting cabs. Some islands are easier than others to do this on your own. When my children were babies we enjoyed relaxing on the ship during port days so we would have no crowds and plenty of loungers in the shade on pool deck. The port reviews can help you pick the ports that are easiest to explore.

Happy planning!!

I have done all of the islands except for two on my upcoming B2B. We only have 3 sea days, which makes me incredibly happy. I do fear that I will get worn out from doing too much, but DH and myself are very active people and like to stay busy. Laying by the pool or the beach is not really our thing. I am looking forward to having so much to do. I guess we can always stay in the cabin and take a nap if we get too worn out!

I think all the islands are pretty much the same...

I get the feeling that you have been cruising too much

Since I am not as experienced as you are, having made only 3 trips over 10 years, I always find each island and destination refreshingly different with something unique in every place.

I was excited to be on Shirley Heights overlooking Nelson's Dockyard on Antiqua. I was thrilled to walk around Old San Juan and to sail out at night.

I loved the ancient Mayan ruins at Tulum and the Xelhua Lagoon on the Yucatan. Oriente Beach on St. Martin was spectacular. The Atlantis submarine and the reef life on Barbados were beautiful. The beach and snorkeling at Trunk Bay on St John tranquil and soothing. DW loved shopping at St. Thomas. Downtown Willamstad on Curacao revealing in its

overlapping cultures.

And I could go on about the natural beauty of St. Lucia and Domenica

with lushness beyound compare.

But obviously I have not lost the excitement of entering ports unknown.

I hope you will rekindle that rejuvenating feeling on your next cruise.

After all RCi used to have as it's theme song "Lust for life".

Wishing you many more happy trips.

Archived