Is it rude to ask travel agent for different cabin?

Kat22

I'm cruising on the Pacific Jewel in Feb with my Mum, we never get to holiday so we're both very excited. Cruise personaliser tells me that we have a II category cabin, which I've since discovered has a view obstructed by lifeboats/tenders. A friend told me I should email my travel agent and ask if it is possible to be allocated a cabin with a decent view. Is this worth a shot or should we just accept what we've been given? Thanks all!

I'm cruising on the Pacific Jewel in Feb with my Mum, we never get to holiday so we're both very excited. Cruise personaliser tells me that we have a II category cabin, which I've since discovered has a view obstructed by lifeboats/tenders. A friend told me I should email my travel agent and ask if it is possible to be allocated a cabin with a decent view. Is this worth a shot or should we just accept what we've been given? Thanks all!

hi Kat, going by the p&o book II looks ok...there's only 4 cabins in II with obstructed views but you can still see daylight...if you was in H or I it might be different,, what is your cabin number and going by the book its on deck 9

rkmw

All cabins in II are classed as Obstructed Window view cabins. Thus, the only way for your agent to give you one with a better view is if you pay to be upgraded to a higher class. You can certainly contact your agent to ask for that, but just be aware there will be a cost (though it may or may not be that great, depending on the price you paid against the current upgraded prices).

On Jewel, what deck are you referring to? Is it deck 8?

On Dawn, I was on deck 8 onstructed views. They had the tender partially covering the window but were still able to see out of the window and especially when at ports and the tenders were being used to tender ashore, we had a clear view.

The only negative was that the tenders made a bit of noise as they were being lowered down on port days, but it wasn't too early in the morning. You may be fortunate and have the tender in front of your window lowered every port day so you have a clear view, or you may be near one of the tenders that are not lowered when at the ports.

The best thing about obstructed view is that you get the daylight in your room. It all depends on how much time you are planning on spending in your room and if your budget allows for an upgrade a non obstructed view. I found that for the little time I spent in the room, an obstructed view worked well as I still had a view to look out but wasn't too fussed about the tender.

I have attached some photos of the obstructed view on Dawn. Not sure if obstructed view on Jewel is the same thing (deck 8, with tenders), but hopefully this will give you an idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121513&d=1245161118

attachment.php?attachmentid=121514&d=1245161266

attachment.php?attachmentid=121515&d=1245161411

Archived