Has anyone experienced Australia day at sea?

aussiescouser

We are sailing on the 19th Jan and will be away for Australia day, its normally a pretty big deal for us and we have a pretty big day , does anyone know if they go all out onboard P&O ships on this day??:confused: hope so ;)

cheers rgds aussiescouser (pete and rose):D

I sailed last year on Australia day and we were all dressed up in australian flags and stuff like that when we borded but it seemed as though no one else was!!!! (where is the aussie spirit)

There was no celebrations and i dont even remember any word of it being Aust Day.... maybe thats because it was the day/evening sailing out of Brisbane... who knows :S

We were mid cruise in 2006 and there was some celebrations. There was a bbq, decorations around lido, Australian olympics, such as pie eating, beer drinking (they wouldn't do beer drinking now). There was some sort of fancy dress that night, maybe a disco. Pretty sure the dinner menu was Australiana too.

We are sailing on the 19th Jan and will be away for Australia day, its normally a pretty big deal for us and we have a pretty big day , does anyone know if they go all out onboard P&O ships on this day??:confused: hope so ;)

cheers rgds aussiescouser (pete and rose):D

Is this the pac jewel from sydney?? We have just booked this as well!!

Sharon

we were away a couple of years ago for Australia Day and it was great. They had a pie eating competition for the guys and a pavlova eating competition for the girls. dinner that night they had roast lamb and everything was very Australian. - mummsie

Aust Day onboard Rhapsody of the Seas somewhere off SEAsia .... this is the tame bunch.

We just had Aust Flag/Southern Cross type temp. tattoo's ... there was much singing of Aust Anthems (traditional & rock) as well as a poetry reading etc etc naturally it got louder as the afternoon temp increased and people sought to quench their thirsts

On a sailing Ex Aust I would expect that there may be a greater emphasis on the day .... there were limited numbers of Aussies onbaord (but they made their presence known).

There were just a few too many Aussie, Aussie, Aussie .... Oih Oih Oih's for my liking .... Aust Day was acknowledged at some point by the CD.

1783027949_AustDayRoS.jpg.72abdbbeb66f4bc94b6b1c6766f29857.jpg

Here's pic of my son (on the right) and two of his mates taken on Australia Day on their cruise on PD this year. I went & bought all 7 boys the hats & capes and gave them to them just before they boarded.

n1341009798_57486_9142.jpg

They had a pie eating and thong throwing competitions among other things and they had a great day.

sweet, thanks heaps guys! I thought this would be the norm aboard P&O ships but wasnt sure, love the pics karmac, will have to go out and purchase some aussie gear myself i think!! Sharon yes it is the jewel we will be sailing on!:D

BRING ON THE PIES!!!!!;)

We were on Pacific Sun for Australia Day 2009 and they did quite a lot for Australia Day;

• The Pacific Daily was printed in Green & Gold
  • The ship was decorated
  • They put on a special 'Australian Tribute' at the start of the show in the evening (which was the closing set from the old G'Day G'Day show)
  • Outside the Burgundy restaurant there was an ice carving of the Opera House and a big Australian flag cake
  • Dinner was the 'Australian' themed dinner (this was still fixed dining time)

Also, we were in the Whtisundays on Australia Day and so there was also lots happening around Airlie Beach to celebrate as well.

Archived