Quick Ventura review

MattyBarlow

• 2 weeks later...

yes the sailaway makes you cringe with embarassment, not least because, passengers were too drunk to remember the words. The ventura is awful, it is butlins/benidorm/blackpool at sea, if you like cruising, choose a different ship. P&O's idea of the "british" cruise market is an insult to genuine cruisers, do not book a suite, they are shabby with tiny balcony, (R408).

The ventura is awful, it is butlins/benidorm/blackpool at sea, if you like cruising, choose a different ship. P&O's idea of the "british" cruise market is an insult to genuine cruisers, do not book a suite, they are shabby with tiny balcony, (R408).

Hmmmm i can't agree with anything you say i'm afraid. The ventura is not awful, she is not to everyones taste. I also know that the core entertainment/activities etc etc is exactly the same as on all P&O ships.

Each to their own, bit I totally disagree with Ted DICKlinson.

I personally think that Ventura is as good and for some, better than most ships in the P&O fleet. In that due to its size it has more space to do your own thing, it is imaginatively styled with a real attention to detail. They say it has been created for the modern traveller in mind, that may be the reason why some people who are set in their ways, do not like it.

Again due to its size, it has a wide variety and choice of eating and entertainment venues, all offering top choice's of food or entertainment. The food is of the same standard as you would find on any P&O ship and the menu's as varied. You also have a choice of Club or Freedom dining. The staff still offer the same excellent standard of service, again as you will find on other ships in the P&O fleet.

It has four swimming pools, one with a skydome, and the pool at the stern of the ship being adults only. Has an excellent Spa with an endless pool and Thermal suite, also a well equipped gymnasium.

There is an excellent choice of accommodation, we found the stateroom to be spacious, although our Balcony was a little on the small side, however there are other staterooms with larger balcony's.

We met some lovely people on board, nobody thrown off of our cruise or involved in fights, or in any drunken behaviour. We met a few moaners who moaned about the size of the ship, but mostly lovely people. Two of which we are in contact with on a regular basis, and who we have been to stay with on a couple of occasions. He is going to kill me for saying this, but he just happens to be bald, but no tattoos. Then again our daughter is a qualified accountant and she has a few tattoos, which is no way a reflection of her as a person.

I would not hesitate to go on her again, although there are other ships I would like to try first. I think she offers excellent value for money, as good as any other ship in the fleet.

But do not take my word, the following is what the fleet Managing director Carol Marlow wrote, in the latest edition of the Portunus magazine:-

Ventura, beat all P&O Cruise Records by achieving the highest overall satisfaction score of any ship in the Fleet. Carol said the score was remarkably high and covered all aspects of the ship:D:D:D

Each to their own, bit I totally disagree with Ted DICKlinson.

I personally think that Ventura is as good and for some, better than most ships in the P&O fleet. In that due to its size it has more space to do your own thing, it is imaginatively styled with a real attention to detail. They say it has been created for the modern traveller in mind, that may be the reason why some people who are set in their ways, do not like it.

Again due to its size, it has a wide variety and choice of eating and entertainment venues, all offering top choice's of food or entertainment. The food is of the same standard as you would find on any P&O ship and the menu's as varied. You also have a choice of Club or Freedom dining. The staff still offer the same excellent standard of service, again as you will find on other ships in the P&O fleet.

It has four swimming pools, one with a skydome, and the pool at the stern of the ship being adults only. Has an excellent Spa with an endless pool and Thermal suite, also a well equipped gymnasium.

There is an excellent choice of accommodation, we found the stateroom to be spacious, although our Balcony was a little on the small side, however there are other staterooms with larger balcony's.

We met some lovely people on board, nobody thrown off of our cruise or involved in fights, or in any drunken behaviour. We met a few moaners who moaned about the size of the ship, but mostly lovely people. Two of which we are in contact with on a regular basis, and who we have been to stay with on a couple of occasions. He is going to kill me for saying this, but he just happens to be bald, but no tattoos. Then again our daughter is a qualified accountant and she has a few tattoos, which is no way a reflection of her as a person.

I would not hesitate to go on her again, although there are other ships I would like to try first. I think she offers excellent value for money, as good as any other ship in the fleet.

But do not take my word, the following is what the fleet Managing director Carol Marlow wrote, in the latest edition of the Portunus magazine:-

Ventura, beat all P&O Cruise Records by achieving the highest overall satisfaction score of any ship in the Fleet. Carol said the score was remarkably high and covered all aspects of the ship:D:D:D

Delboy,

Fascinating insight into Ventura. If she stays in the Caribbean next winter we may well give her a try.

During 3 OV cruises we have witnessed very little drunken behaviour, plenty of tattoos(I have one myself Blackpool c1958). As for sailaways, we were fortunate enough to witness OV1 and OV2 leaving Grenada in Jan. 09 and I have to say it was a very emotional event.

I think that there is a video on you tube.

By the way I think OV ships got the highest customer satisfaction rating in the whole Carnival Group

When assessing the worth of a recommendation one has to ask the experience of the person doing the recommending....for instance if the people that were giving the ship such high marks were all /mostly 1st time cruisers then you have to ask on what they base the recommendation. As for Carol Marlow...the term "well she would wouldn't she" comes to mind. Apart from this I am sure she is a lovely ship, but as I said before a lot depends on who you are with...last Xmas being a prime example!!

The ventura is awful, it is butlins/benidorm/blackpool at sea, if you like cruising, choose a different ship. P&O's idea of the "british" cruise market is an insult to genuine cruisers, do not book a suite, they are shabby with tiny balcony, (R408).

Couldn't possibly comment.

I have no experience of Butlins, Benidorm or Blackpool, so I bow to your expert opinion.

yes the sailaway makes you cringe with embarassment, not least because, passengers were too drunk to remember the words. The ventura is awful, it is butlins/benidorm/blackpool at sea, if you like cruising, choose a different ship. P&O's idea of the "british" cruise market is an insult to genuine cruisers, do not book a suite, they are shabby with tiny balcony, (R408).

Can you tell me what "genuine cruiser" is? Apparently, I do not qualify having been on 3 OV cruises, besides enjoying holidays in Marbella playing golf, soaking up the sun in Fuertaventura and Tenerife as part of my 4 holidays a year programme.

I am 67 years old retired Sales and Marketing Manager, 3 grown up daughters,all university educated.

I do, however,admit to enjoying myself on holiday( I would not be seen dead in a penguin suit) . I have never witnessed the sort of drunken behaviour on sailaways on OV, that you claim happen on Ventura(my sister was on the ill-fated Christmas cruise last year).

Having played golf at all levels since the mid 1950's, I do, however recognise the English disease of snobbery when confronted with it as in your comments above.

I tend to think that the post about Ventura being awful says nothing about OV & if anything evens out what people say. I don't think that feeling embarrassed about boorish drunken behaviour is snobbish whatever cruise ship you are on. I can understand how someone would be uncomfortable with a holiday camp atmosphere when they expected something more traditional. It's just getting the right product for you.

I I don't think that feeling embarrassed about boorish drunken behaviour is snobbish whatever cruise ship you are on.

Been on 7 P&O cruises and the only time I have witnessed the above (the drunken bit) was on Artemis, yes Artemis, would you believe it. During a Nevis Sailway trip many off the passengers spent a large part of the day drinking and then dancing in a manner that would have embarressed their Children and Grandchildren. What should have been a relaxing afternoon on the Caribbean turned into a Saturday night out in an English market town. If we booked the Rum Runner I would have expected it.

I tend to think that the post about Ventura being awful says nothing about OV

Well it does when you get blinkered P&Oers on here who consider themselves to be the elite and proper cruisers saying they hope that Ventura won't be like Ocean Village because OV is according to them full of ill mannered, drunken people who don't know how to dress or behave. Obviously this is written without these people ever having set foot on Ocean Village. Can I say once again that there are never reports of drunken people on OV just very nice civilised people who do not like to dress up.This does not make them inferior cruisers.I also think that poor Ventura gets a bad press from the rumour mongers - funny on every single one of their crossings there are rumours about people being chucked off for bad behaviour probably coming from the same sources as those who think OV passengers have a obligatory dress code of football shirt, tattoo plus pint of lager.

''Geecee'' mentioned OV in reply to the comments about Ventura, there was nothing in the post about OV. We enjoyed our OV cruise very much, but must say that any bad behavior we have noticed on cruises was actually on this ship, people drunk, badly behaved most unruly children, even a 'sunbed' fight. We did not think this was anything to do with the ship just that our 2nd week was apparently sold off cheap online.

''Geecee'' mentioned OV in reply to the comments about Ventura, there was nothing in the post about OV. We enjoyed our OV cruise very much, but must say that any bad behavior we have noticed on cruises was actually on this ship, people drunk, badly behaved most unruly children, even a 'sunbed' fight. We did not think this was anything to do with the ship just that our 2nd week was apparently sold off cheap online.

Not witnessed such behaviour myself on 3 OV cruises, but my sister was on the ill-fated Ventura cruise in Dec 08, where there was fighting, drunken behaviour etc. which resulted in families being put ashore.

Similar behaviour on Sea Princess was the talk of Barbados during our stop over in Jan 08.

I agree with John, that discounting may have played a part.

I think this why Carnival have taken OV ships out of the Caribbean and will rely on Oceana and Ventura to service this market.

Looking at the current pricing, it would appear that OV veterans wiil pay a premium to continue with laid-back, casual cruising.

Provided the itineries are as good as OV, these may be the ships for us.

Out of interest, on the dress code thing, on another forum someone is posting daily from Arcadia, he is doing Southampton/Caribbean/Southampton, anyway he fancied just having a curry from the buffet one night, it was semi formal, so he just went for it dressed "casual", he was not alone & it was no problem.

As i keep saying, she is a fine ship that i think will suit OV'ers regardless of whether formal nights stay.

We have booked a stay in Barbados this year as a break from cruising.

Assuming that we like the itineries we may give Ventura a try next winter.

I see that THOMSON are sending their "new" ship Dream to the Caribbean in 2011, to be based in Havana and that is also on our radar!

Ignoramuus that I am, what are Portunas points? Some sort of loyalty system?

Matty, ignore this. I have just read on P&O website that this scheme does include Carbbean Fly/Cruises and I have no intention of ever sailing from Southhampton.

I suppose, therefore. that I will never become what someone described on another thread " a genuine cruiser".

Matty, ignore this. I have just read on P&O website that this scheme does include Carbbean Fly/Cruises and I have no intention of ever sailing from Southhampton.

I suppose, therefore. that I will never become what someone described on another thread " a genuine cruiser".

Its only certain benefits that aren't available on certain voyages - & then only if you get to gold!

# Dedicated check-in in Southampton†

# Priority embarkation in Southampton†

# Exclusive embarkation lounge on board†

†These benefits are only available on Southampton departures and do not apply to world voyages, segments of a world voyage or our Caribbean fly-cruise holidays.

All the other benefits, AFAIK, are available on all sailings - the main one, IMO, is the 5% discount on certain sailings & on the 'on-board spend':D

My boyfriend had sailed Princess before P&O - after a 2 day P+O sailing he had 120 points - 20 for the P+O sailing & the rest (at 5 points per day) for the Princess one.

Archived