Regarding bus tour to Mayan Ruins

Finflapper

The description given regarding this tour was:

Travel across the rolling hills of Western Belize to the Mopan River, located near the Guatemalan border. A hand-cranked ferry awaits to take you across the river, where you will board a shuttle to the Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich (Maiden of the Rock) Plaza several hundred feet above. Your guide will share his knowledge of the Mayan civilization and the Xunantunich site along the trip. From El Castillo, the tallest temple at the site, you will have a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside and portions of Guatemala. Afterwards, travel by bus to the San Ignacio Hotel for a Mayan-style buffet lunch accompanied by music from a local Marimba band. Note: Due to the hot and humid climate of Belize, it is recommended that while on tour, guests wear comfortable clothing, low-heeled walking shoes, a hat, sun block and insect repellant.

Do you see any place written that it consists of a two hour (one way), bumpy bus trip?

I strongly advise if you have a back problem (as I do) to please take this into consideration. I had no idea how long and bumpy the trip was. Also, if you have circulation problems in your legs, the walking can be extremely painful. I am on my second day back home and still recovering.

Finflapper,

Sorry to hear your trip was so rough. Hope you recover quickly. Our excursion last May was long in time, but seems like we knew that. Our bus was very comfortable. The roads were pretty decent. We had no road rough spots. I walked up and down the aisle a couple of times and stood in the back to help keep the circulation in my legs (I do this on planes too). And yes there is a hill to climb and a lot of walking. Walking and climbing are the norms for most any ruins excursion. Seems we were aware of that before the excursion too.

For others reading this, remember these descritions are written to entice you to take the tour. They usually have some rating for difficulty and some warnings. But are typically watered down a bit so as not to scare off potential guests. Don't rely on the ship's blurp alone. Best to do research on venue or other similar excursions before booking, especially if you have any medical or physical issues (I would have never done this if the bus didn't have a toilet:)). Also for a ship sponsored excursion, you can usually wait until you're aboard, unless there's a note on limited passengers. Plenty of time to research before you decide.

Finflapper,

Sorry to hear your trip was so rough. Hope you recover quickly. Our excursion last May was long in time, but seems like we knew that. Our bus was very comfortable. The roads were pretty decent. We had no road rough spots. I walked up and down the aisle a couple of times and stood in the back to help keep the circulation in my legs (I do this on planes too). And yes there is a hill to climb and a lot of walking. Walking and climbing are the norms for most any ruins excursion. Seems we were aware of that before the excursion too.

For others reading this, remember these descritions are written to entice you to take the tour. They usually have some rating for difficulty and some warnings. But are typically watered down a bit so as not to scare off potential guests. Don't rely on the ship's blurp alone. Best to do research on venue or other similar excursions before booking, especially if you have any medical or physical issues.

Have to agree with crewsweeper. DW and I just came back from Carnival Legend and went to Xunantunich Mayan ruins. The bus ride was about 2 hours long, but the ride was smooth and you get to see a glimpse of the country outside of Belize City. People were poor but very friendly.

The ruins are a climb, especially if you go to top of El Castillo, but just beautiful. And there are no guard rails. When we got back into port at Tampa there was a security guard who wouldn't let anyone down the escalator to get their bags unless they a free hand to hold the railing. You won't find that at the ruins.

Mike and Lorie

I don't think the road to Xunantunich is very bumpy either. Long yes, but it is in good condition. Good thing you didn't go to Altun Ha. The trip out to Altun Ha is much shorter, but the last 20 minutes or so is really punishing.

the trip to Lamanai was pretty smooth as well, save intentionally placed speed bumps. The site itself is a lot of walking with tree roots and rocks at many places. there are steps and elevation changes and a couple people had a very hard time keeping up with the walking, especially when combined with the heat. i would say you need to be able to walk on flat yet uneven ground for 45 min in order to be okay.

Well, maybe I'm more sensitive to unpaved road traveling due to having 12 screws and two metal plates screwed into my spine. The last time I traveled by bus was when I was a healthy teenager and had no idea my body was going to ache from it. Next time I travel abroad, I'll know the tour descriptions are watered down a bit and be more cautious. I thought the Mayan Ruins were awesome inspite of the journey. Glad everyone else had a good time. Thanks all for your input.

Well, maybe I'm more sensitive to unpaved road traveling due to having 12 screws and two metal plates screwed into my spine. The last time I traveled by bus was when I was a healthy teenager and had no idea my body was going to ache from it. Next time I travel abroad, I'll know the tour descriptions are watered down a bit and be more cautious. I thought the Mayan Ruins were awesome inspite of the journey. Glad everyone else had a good time. Thanks all for your input.

finflapper, my apologies if my comments seemed to negate your experience:o. Had I known of your condition, I might have tempered them. Yes roads in other countries aren't always up to what we're used to here. If your spine can't take the road conditions in Belize, take my advice and never, ever go on a safari to South Africa, Kenya, or Tanzania. Lost a filling on one of those, and bit my tongue on another.:eek:

I hope your other excursions and cruises are much more pleasant and relaxing. Glad you enjoyed seeing the ruins despite the bumpy ride.

finflapper, I think you do touch on an important point- the tour descriptions are often not clear about the transport involved, and much reading between the lines is required.

I find that the Tulum tours from Cozumel are particularly vague about this, and people who book that tour come back tired and frustrated that their 7 hour tour only involved about 1.5 hours at the actual ruin, with the rest being eaten up by ferry and bus rides!

There is a SCUBA tour in Belize that picks you right up at the ship, avoiding the tender, and puts you directly on the dive boat from the ship- but would you be able to figure it out from the description? For the most part, no.

I'm sorry the Belize roads were bumpy for you. That Belmopan Highway is one of about 3 paved highways in the country and I can confirm that you were on one of the better roads in Belize, having traveled on many of the roads that are still unpaved. Those unpaved ones are 'graded' on some sort of regular basis- and if you are there months after they were most recently graded, you ended up being in for about the bumpiest ride ever! :eek: Dusty when dry, muddy when wet, bone-jarring at all times- you actually had it pretty good! :o

Archived