Ventura - Freedom Dining

simpsian

I really think that you have the wrong impression, I think all people ask is that if you book a cruise with a dress code that you respect it. I see what you mean of course as we have been on OV ourselves for the casual aspect as well as other cruises.

I really think that you have the wrong impression, I think all people ask is that if you book a cruise with a dress code that you respect it. I see what you mean of course as we have been on OV ourselves for the casual aspect as well as other cruises.

I go on Caribbean cruises to chill( or do some serious liming as they say in Trinidad). I want to feel comfortable in the clothes I wear and be amongst like-minded passengers. I do not think that Formal Nights are appropriate in such a climate and ,as such, I will not book a cruise where such nights are advertised.

There are a couple of points which I would make and that is I am not interested in cruise only;

a) It is a 5/6 hour drive to Southhampton, resulting in a possible overnight stay.

b) I do not want to spend the next 4/5 days at sea before our first destination.

This is why Ocean Village 1 and 2 have provided the perfect holiday; flights from Manchester, arrive Barbados 2.30ish, on board by 4.00pm latest and sail the same evening, a couple of beers in Connexions before attacking the Tiger Prawns and Steak in La Luna, MAGIC!!!!

Derek.. the man doesn't want to do it, & doesn't want to go on a ship where he has to.

Exactly! I also would not like to be on ship with some of the contributors(I will not name names to protect the guilty) to the P&O forum who frequently use phrases like"raising standards" and "increase pricing", phrases which drip with snobbery.

I sure that they are a minority, but a significant one, if the people I have met on OV are to be believed.

Happy New Year to you when it comes. Sorry but we won't be doing P&O - one last blast is beckoning on OV before I leave in tears :(. Not sure which trip but I am more determined than ever to have one last go. Good luck to you if you go on P&O - I am seeing the looks you will be getting from here.;)

Do not worry I have a thick Yorkshire hide. Those 10 bob millionaires do not frighten me.

Besides, I am staying with land-based holidays if there is no suitable replacement for OV.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just found this thread and enjoyed reading everyone's comments and thoughts. Don't know if you're interested but we would like to comment too.

We were introduced to cruising by Ocean Village as my GF Mandy never fancied the formal nights and "snobbery" that she associated with cruising hence why we'd never done it before. I then heard OV being advertised on the radio in its maiden season 2003 and whilst she was in the travel agents booking a land based holiday in the Caribbean, I text her to say "check out OV - "cruises for people that don't do cruises". Sadly (well for our bank balance anyway), we've not looked back since this 1st experience on a ship. We absolutely love Ocean Village and the whole informal atmosphere on board and are very sad that it will be no more!

But we thought we might try P&O and did a weekend taster on Oceana with a formal night thrown in and we absolutely loved this too (even Mandy who didn't want to dress up). So you can imagine how thrilled I was when she surprised me by taking me on Arcadia on its maiden voyage through the Panama Canal and around the Caribbean for Xmas & New Year with 4 formal nights!!

Re the comments about not wanting to wear a suit in the Caribbean because of the weather, this is not really an issue as all the ships are air conditioned and this is one of the things we love about all cruising is that you really can wear whatever you like.

Even on our last OV cruise, I still took my DJ for New Year's Eve and they pressed it FOC because they said I'm on the wrong ship yet when we went to dinner, there were loads of people in DJ's and evening dresses.

We really are go with the flow types of people and some of the best people we have met have been at 2nd sitting dinner on Arcadia (hello Jen, Steve, Margaret & Melvin if you're reading) and we've never had a bad experience of sitting with people we don't get on with.

Having said all that, we are going on Ventura on Friday (15th Jan 10) for 2 weeks in the Caribbean. We requested 2nd sitting and are on the wait list so there must be quite a few people not opting for freedom dining. I'm sure once we get on board and speak to the Maitre D' that we will get our preference. We are not snobs in any way, shape or form but at the same time, we don't want to sit with people in their football kit at dinner whilst we're in our DJ & evening dress!!! :D

We like all OV fans are really upset to have the ship taken from us but love cruising so much that we could not not go just because of having to attend formal nights on other cruise lines. I mean worse case scenario, stay in your cabin and order room service on the formal nights but to be honest on the P&O cruises we've been on, some people do change after dinner or the show and nobody takes any notice because most cruisers, in our experience, are genuinely nice people who just want to enjoy their holiday and meet other like minded people to share each other's experiences of travelling around the globe in such luxury. We can't think of anything we love more. ;)

So to anybody who wants to hold P&O to ransom by refusing to travel until they change things, all I can say is - your loss! :(

Happy Cruising and love you all - next post from Ventura - wooooohooooo!!:D:D:D

Stitchman Wrote

"Having said all that, we are going on Ventura on Friday (15th Jan 10) for 2 weeks in the Caribbean. We requested 2nd sitting and are on the wait list so there must be quite a few people not opting for freedom dining. I'm sure once we get on board and speak to the Maitre D' that we will get our preference. We are not snobs in any way, shape or form but at the same time, we don't want to sit with people in their football kit at dinner whilst we're in our DJ & evening dress!!!"

Don't know if you are aware, but the Dress code for the Freedom Dining restaurant is the same as the the main dining restaurant, i.e. Formal Nights, Freedom Dining = Formal Dress. The only dining venue on formal nights where you may find people dressed smart casual, is the buffet restaurant. I also think you will find although there may be a wait list for 2nd sitting, this will in no way impact on the numbers choosing Freedom Dining. From my experience on Ventura, both restaurants are equally as busy.:D

Delboy wrote "Don't know if you are aware, but the Dress code for the Freedom Dining restaurant is the same as the the main dining restaurant, i.e. Formal Nights, Freedom Dining = Formal Dress. The only dining venue on formal nights where you may find people dressed smart casual, is the buffet restaurant. I also think you will find although there may be a wait list for 2nd sitting, this will in no way impact on the numbers choosing Freedom Dining. From my experience on Ventura, both restaurants are equally as busy."

Sorry Delboy I lost you there a bit until I noticed your cruise list - you haven't actually been on OV so I think you've misunderstood what I meant!

As this seems to have developed into a "slate P&O /slate OV" thread all I was pointing out was that I like to sit with the same people every night and have a set time for dinner with the same waiters etc. so I can get to know my fellow diners.

Unfortunately in my profession (carpenter/joiner), I don't get to wear suits and DJ's every day so I really enjoy this aspect of my cruise. Maybe I'm an old romantic at heart getting whisked away in the fantasy of an ocean liner from the early pleasure cruises of days gone by! But isn't that what it's all about? I do love OV and would love to sail on her one more time but at the same time I don't necessarily want to sit with people that look like they've just entered my site canteen in their shorts & vests as I like a bit of decorum at evening meal time. I tend to eat in James Martin's Bistro on OV (best restaurant so far) at least a few times a week because I prefer to be served for my evening meal and to get dressed up every night. To be honest, I like the discipline of having to be ready by a specific time to ensure I get to dinner otherwise I'd probably just sit in the jacuzzis getting drunk all night!

So back to Freedom Dining and the fact we're on the wait list for 2nd sitting - I thought that if we are on the wait list, this must indicate that lots of people have booked 2nd sitting rather than Freedom Dining or am I mistaken?? Could you explain as we haven't experienced Freedom Dining on P&O yet? I also find it disappointing after all that I've read that people book 2nd sitting when they book their cruises but then just decide not to turn up as we've been told this happens alot on Ventura so we're hoping this happens when we're on there so we can get a table on 2nd sitting with some lovely, like minded cruisers who want to share their experiences of cruises and life in general into the wee small hours :D

All the best

Stitch

x

Stich,

I have been waitlisted a few times but when I have got on board I have found that the dining card in the cabin says what I wanted. As you say, if all else fails, then go and see the restaurant manager and they are always very helpfull. There is no fixed dining time on the first night of a fly cruise as people are arriving at different times so it is only on the second night that you get to sit at your allocated table and sitting, so you have plenty time to sort things out.

Brian

Stich,

I have been waitlisted a few times but when I have got on board I have found that the dining card in the cabin says what I wanted. As you say, if all else fails, then go and see the restaurant manager and they are always very helpfull. There is no fixed dining time on the first night of a fly cruise as people are arriving at different times so it is only on the second night that you get to sit at your allocated table and sitting, so you have plenty time to sort things out.

Brian

Thanx Brian.

We've basically been waitlisted due to our late booking really I think , but i'm sure if I cross a palm with silver something will happen !!

As for the first night it's already planned ! We're going to St Lawrence gap as the first night is in port . So buffet .... unpack .... glad rags on ( not premier league footy shirt ) and as they say in russia ( or a London building site ) Offski !!!!!!!!!

A very happy Stitch x

Stitchman

I think we are both at cross purposes, was not knocking OV, never been on their ships, so would not comment on them.:confused:

I like you like to dress up, and I thought you were indicating that people on Freedom dining don't dress up, and I was just pointing out, having only used Freedom dining on both Ventura & Oceana, that people dress up for both restaurants, so no people dressed in tee shirts etc. Regarding wait listed for first or second sitting, I think you will find, that on all P&O cruises, a number of people are wait listed, but once on board get the sitting they require. I have also found that this does not appear to have any noticeable affect on the number of people using Freedom dining. As I say we had Freedom dining, and the Restaurant has always appeared full. On Oceana, each night we sat on a table of eight, and had some great table companions, but obviously different table companions each night. Although for two nights strangely enough the same table companions.:)

We went to the Pisces Restaurant on the Gap on the last evening of our Christmas Ventura cruise. I'd booked it on-line before we went. Six of us went and we had a superb meal, I would thoroughly recommend it. We wanted to try David's Place but it was closed with it being New Year's Day. Our other choice would have been the Tropical Spectacular show at the Plantation Theatre but again this was closed.

For the Friday arrivals the first two nights were open seating for dinner on Ventura, we arrived on the Saturday and had one night of open seating.

Carol x

Thank you all so very much for your replies but especially to Carol for the info. re SLG and places to go.

Message to JohnTheDog we will be so tired and will suffer big time on Sat morning but can't think of a nicer place than Barbados to have to endure a hangover and lack of sleep and as we see it - we want to make the most of every night of our holiday!!

Stitch x

For the Friday arrivals the first two nights were open seating for dinner on Ventura, we arrived on the Saturday and had one night of open seating.

Carol x

Whilst it is true that there is open seating on both nights, what happens in reality is that the Friday arrivals are allocated to the Bay Tree restaurant, where it is open seating on Friday but allocated seating on Saturday. The Saturday arrivals are aloocated to the Saffron restaurant, where it is open seating on Saturday. Freedom diners use the Cinnamon restaurant. This was last year and they may have altered the restaurants used but the principle will be the same. All restaurants have the same menu and same dress code. There is also the Waterside self service restaurant which has a themed buffet each evening.

Brian

We thought this would be how it would work, but people we spoke to who had arrived on the Friday were looking forward to finally meeting their table companions on the Sunday. They were in the Saffron restaurant as we were, and we'd arrived on the Saturday. They'd had two days of open seating.

Carol x

Wow was it all feathers and scantily clad Rio Carnival type dancers reminicent of Barry Manilows Copacabana ???????

Well to a degree, but the music & the show was generally good, as was the food & plentiful drink. The stilt dancers were incredible.

All good stuff jonney boy ! We may have to give it a go so thanx john and carol ! Wish you were coming too.

Do you think I'll look out of place in a tux ?

Stitch x

Not at all, just cut the trousers off, & replace the bow tie with one that lights up ...unless you normally do this of course.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, I would like nothing more than to be there as well! We were disappointed when P&O had to withdraw the Tropical Spectacular Dinner show as it wasn't on that night. Enjoy the rum punch!

Carol x

Not at all, just cut the trousers off, & replace the bow tie with one that lights up ...unless you normally do this of course.

What !! You mean my secret is out !!

Carol i didn't realise they did a trip ....... shame !!

Still on the plus side at least on the night we're going I know I won't miss the boat ....... good eh ?

Stitch x

Archived