Changing Cruise AFTER Final Payment?

TOgirl47

I've poked around a bit and can't seem to find a thread on this - just wondering if anyone has any experience/input.

My friend and I JUST booked on the Carnival Liberty sailing on Feb. 13th out of Miami. We have both done this Itinerary (on the Victory, however) - but agreed to this cruise as it was the cheapest available and fit into our friend's budget.

So between booking on Thursday (and making the Final payment, as we were only 71 days out) and yesterday, everyone has cancelled and we are the only two booked. No biggie, we've cruised alone before and have had more fun anyway!

Here's my question - now that we are free of the budget constraints of our friends, we are MUCH more interested in trying out the Dream on the same sailing date. I personally didn't think this would be a earthshattering request. Apparently, it really isn't, as long as we don't mind paying a 50% penalty on our Liberty cruise that we would be 'cancelling'!!!

Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? We don't even want to leave a day later, and our cabin would be more expensive. Not that it really matters, but this will be my friend's 9th Cruise with Carnival, and my 5th - seems like a bad way to treat loyal customers :(

Do you think we have any chance in just 'switching' (obvs. with the upgraded fare, but no penalty)?

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Thanks. I won't really be disappointed - I've loved my cruises on the Valor and Glory!

I guess I'm just surprised that they don't really try to help you out at all, it just doesn't seem customer friendly.

Oh well! Cruising again in February regardless!!

(and I still love Carnival)

Thanks. I won't really be disappointed - I've loved my cruises on the Valor and Glory!

I guess I'm just surprised that they don't really try to help you out at all, it just doesn't seem customer friendly.

Oh well! Cruising again in February regardless!!

(and I still love Carnival)

It could be more that the Dream (being New) will fill at full priced Cabins and they might have to reduce at the last Min the cabins for the ship you want to trans. from. No harm in asking though is there. Give them a call!

I was on the Glory East in November 2008 in one of the nifty 1A cabins with the window. Just after I made the final payment, the Freedom 8 day West 1A cabin's had a price drop so that the extra day would only be $30 more. I called the 800 number and asked for the change. I told them that I understood completely if the answer was "no". I was transfered to a supervisor who said "yes"! but there would be a $50 administration fee. I agreed and was moved to the Freedom to cabin 1435. The supervisor told me there would be no more price adjustments.

I wrote a nice letter thanking and complimenting the two I spoke with for helping me.

I looked a few days later and saw that I had been moved to cabin 2216. I had really wanted the aft-er cabin as I had been in 1212 in January and it's a l-o-n-g walk to the ice cream and coffee on the Lido deck, although it does have a porthole.

So I called and asked why. I was told that I was also getting the "senior" rate and was getting on OBC for $250! For that, I'll walk!

So 1. it never hurts to ask and 2. courtesy pays.

BTW, this was a Thanksgiving week cruise, as well!

Alix

I think I'd just prefer to stay put then pay an administrative fee - although that's understandable since we've already been assigned a cabin on the Liberty.

Has anyone stayed in those interior room in the middle (third) hallway on the Conquest class before? They look square instead of rectangle. We were assigned 6289

It's all here, in black and white.

6,7 & 8

day cruises

Up to 76 days

75 to 30 days

29 to 8 days

7 days or less

None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

Deposit

50% of Total Fare

100% of Total Fare

It's called a "cancellation penalty" and applies to all of us equally.

In spite of GMA's attempt to clarify "policy" I have also chgd cruise ships after the cut off date and did it as recommended above - with a little style class and grace - which often times goes a long way in bending "policy." And there was no penalty chrg either. Point is it can be done - depends on who you talk to, and how you talk to them, and what kind of mood they are in when you do.

We're officially switched! In the end they told our Travel Agents 'no charge' and then charged us each the $50 admin fee, which my TA called back and argued down to $25. On top of that, since our cards were charged the fee that we never agreed to, we have a $100 credit with our TA!

Not too bad in my opinion!

And we've already been assigned a 4E cabin on the Upper Deck - booked a 1A guarantee!

Last year on the Glory i cancelled as we decided(had to as our sitter backed out ) to take the kids and had to change our dates.I got my TA invloved with carnival's Canadian rep and she got my refund and payment back and we booked the valor for 4 people with no penalties etc.Apparently the candian carnival rep is a very accomadating person from what my TA said.I actually got back the 2 grand and got a new charge on my visa for 3500 or whatever it was.I was really happy.... And Westjet airlines let me change flights and add 2 people for a very small fee(100 bucks or so) Thesawch

Archived