Question about AB on Dawn

flashdog_1

On a cabin crawl on Dawn in January we saw the AB penthouse suite. Besides the separate bedroom and the "children's room" is there a pullout sofa in the living room, making it a cabin for 5-6, or is it just a sofa or futon for one (or none, making it max a cabin for 2 adults and 2 kids)?

The reason I ask is that we currently have a BA stern balcony booked for 3. Now two others want to join us. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it economically and thought the AB might be it, putting the short single traveler alone in the children's room. But both on line and on the telephone they tell me they have no cabins available for 5. But when I check it on line for 4 pax, many ABs are offered.

Please set me straight on the sleeping max of an AB. Thanks.

We have been told that they hold 6 passengers. We are currently booked for 2 AB suites in February. I think the childrens room holds 2. There is a pulldown bunk above the full size bed. The pullout in the livingroom only holds 1 person, from what I have been able to gather from pictures posted on cc. The great thing about this cabin is that there are 2 bathrooms.

And you can't forget about the suite perks which put it over the top for us.:)

Hi Phyllis

We were the cabin crawl cruisers with that great AB. Yes the smaller bedroom does hold 2 people and there is a coach in the living room that holds one or two. I think they allow 5 in this cabin. I would give the 2 new comers the smaller bedroom as it is almost like an inside cabin - bathroom with shower, TV and telephone.

They can come into the living area in the morning then you can all go to Cagneys for those great breakfasts and lunches. In addition, there are pocket doors so you can close off the main bedroom and that wonderful bathroom with the 4 heads in the shower and the jetted tub from the rest of the cabin.

We actually had the same cabin on the Dawn again in October to Bermuda and it was just as great as we remembered it. We are spoiled!!

Rene

Hi Phyllis

We were the cabin crawl cruisers with that great AB. Yes the smaller bedroom does hold 2 people and there is a coach in the living room that holds one or two. I think they allow 5 in this cabin. I would give the 2 new comers the smaller bedroom as it is almost like an inside cabin - bathroom with shower, TV and telephone.

They can come into the living area in the morning then you can all go to Cagneys for those great breakfasts and lunches. In addition, there are pocket doors so you can close off the main bedroom and that wonderful bathroom with the 4 heads in the shower and the jetted tub from the rest of the cabin.

We actually had the same cabin on the Dawn again in October to Bermuda and it was just as great as we remembered it. We are spoiled!!

Rene

Hi Rene! Was it another upsell or did you like the AB so much that you just outright booked it this last time? ha WAs it just you and John again?

Here's the deal on passengers. DH & myself & adult daughter are currently booked into a BA w/3rd pax only $99 (DD and I just shared a BA on Pride of America and we're not sure there's room for my 6'3" husband. Ncl tried to sell me the mini suite when I asked about the AB).

Her boyfriend is not yet convinced to go, and she's not crazy about sleeping 8' from her mother in a bed with the boyfriend (he's probably not, either. And I am positive she would not want to share the kids' room with the old lady, letting him have the pullout alone in the living room). Boyfriend is 6'4" so probably would not fit into the children's bedroom. My elderly, semi-handicapped friend who wants to go on the cruise because I am on it to help her is willing to pay double for an inside but likes the idea of a suite (of course). I figured originally she'd have the children's room to herself, but if that pull out sofa in the living room is small, the tall boyfriend may not fit on it or in the kids' room! Short old lady will fit. She's a good sport so would slelep anywhere.

This may not work. Tell me what you think about 5 as stated.

For well wishers who recommend the old lady get her own room. Fine. But for DD and boyfriend to get their own room leaves DH & I with the full cost of the BA which would push it financially since we got 3 in the room for only $99 more! I think I read somewhere on cruise critic that you get the same rate for 4th & 5th that you paid for the 3rd, but since this is going to a suite, it may be more for all extra pax.

With Jim's military discount and Latitudes we'd be splitting it 3 ways, very affordably for about $830 each including insurance & taxes. Splitting it 2 ways would mean I'd have to go to an inside for the same price, I think. I've been in an inside on Dawn and don't want to do it again unless I have to. I like to be on my own balcony. I'm not one who just showers and sleeps in his cabin. You probably remember seeing my category K on the cabin crawl. It was the sideways one by the aft elevator on deck 9.

But I really wonder why NCL tells me there is nothing for 5 (when there are loads of ABs available. Are they not all the same?) when I was sure I'd read here that 5 or 6 could fit. Do I need to ask for a supervisor to do this upsell booking? THANKS

We have stayed in the AB cabin on the Dawn. It has been a few years and so things may have changed and my mind may be off on some of the details, but I will do my best...

The couch in the living room at the time was NOT a pull out. It was a lovely LITTLE sofa. Little--was the key word(too short for a tall adult to be comfortable sleeping on) . Our son who was about 4 feet 8 inches at the time did sleep on the couch because he did not want to share the small bedroom with his sisters, plus he got custody of the TV remote and could watch DVD's on the TV in the living room(smart boy!!).

Our girls(age 16 and age 7) shared the adorable (but very little) bedroom.

Technically the extra small inside bedroom sleeps 3 people. It will be very very very cozy and 2 of those people will be sharing on of the beds that convert to a queen(i think). There is a small bathroom in that room also.

I don't think that the AB is designed to accommodate 6 people, but again, things change and I do get confused easily!!!!!

That same trip on the Dawn, we actually got upgraded --mid trip-- to the Garden Villa--pretty amazing experience...our teenagers ended up with their own rooms with quite the view!!!! Our little one thought the jacuzzi was her own private pool and we felt a bit like the Beverly hillbillies when she was bringing her little rubber duckie and all of her pool toys into the jacuzzi...

We stayed in the AB Penthouse on the Dawn in 2006, awesome suite!! Our room had a tiny bench seat (not even a sofa) I remember it well because I curled up on it one evening when my room mate was a little seasick. The extra bedroom had one twin and one bunk a little larger, could have put two smaller people in it. Hopefully they have upgraded the bench seat to a real sofa by now. Google ship name and cabin #, and you may be lucky to find current pictures.

Here is a GREAT drawing of an AB layout:

NCLRoom.jpg

Here is a post I did here on Cruise Critic a few months ago. There is a link to EXCELLENT pictures of an AB on the Star which is EXACTLY LIKE an AB on the Dawn. :)

We were just in a Dawn AB last month, our fourth time and I have us booked for a fifth time next August. :D

It is just the BEST CABIN......!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

Our two teenage girl's were in the smaller cabin, it is PERFECT......!!!sHa_thumbsup2.gif

Here is another link to more pictures an AB: (it is of cabin 11020 on the Star, which is EXACTLY like the AB on the Dawn, just different art work)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/350879718fPWnzv

There is also a queen size sleeper sofa in the Living Room.

I thought you might want to see these pictures too. There are both of a Star AB. But, as stated, a Star AB is EXACTLY LIKE a Dawn AB......:D :D

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573276408FRtBas

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

An AB on the Dawn is PERFECT.....!!! :D :D

ENJOY.....!!! :D

I'm dumbfounded about the subject. if they are telling me there is nothing available for 5, they must consider it a suite for 4, 2 in the main bed, and 2 in the small bedroom. but some of you have said there is also a pulldown in the small bedroom, (not that it would be suitable for our 5 passengers) so surely this cabin sleeps 5, if some of them are kids.

And in some of the photos of Star it sure looks like an adult could sleep on the sofa. Some say it's a pullout bed and others say it's just a bench seat. Could it be that it varies from cabin to cabin?

Anyone from NCL reading this who can clarify? We'd really love to book the suite if it will hold us!

Back to the posters question(s).

Not a good solution here. Though I know some have done the couch thing in the living room, that person has very little privacy. That have to be the LAST one to bed at night, and up as soon as somebody else gets up.

Because of age variances, and boyfriend/girlfriend, it all gets awkward.

Though a separate inside cabin for either the young couple, or elderly would work, you then have a new problem (other than added cost). They are not entitled to go to Cagneys with you. That is a whole new message thread that can get heated at times. Some have done it, some have not been able to. But, technically, only passengers in the SUITE can go to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

So, if this elderly person did not mind sleeping in the living room, even though the boyfriend is tall, the little bedroom would work. It is really removed from the other part of the cabin. On our cruise in an AB, either my wife or I would wake up during the night, and go into that little bedroom to watch tv. Did not bother the other person at all.

Back to the posters question(s).

Not a good solution here. Though I know some have done the couch thing in the living room, that person has very little privacy. That have to be the LAST one to bed at night, and up as soon as somebody else gets up.

Because of age variances, and boyfriend/girlfriend, it all gets awkward.

Though a separate inside cabin for either the young couple, or elderly would work, you then have a new problem (other than added cost). They are not entitled to go to Cagneys with you. That is a whole new message thread that can get heated at times. Some have done it, some have not been able to. But, technically, only passengers in the SUITE can go to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

So, if this elderly person did not mind sleeping in the living room, even though the boyfriend is tall, the little bedroom would work. It is really removed from the other part of the cabin. On our cruise in an AB, either my wife or I would wake up during the night, and go into that little bedroom to watch tv. Did not bother the other person at all.

Thank you GaryCarla. That is what I would hope for. But getting an NCL agent to agree even to give me a price for 5 in the cabin has so far been impossible (nor on-line).

Do you have a suggestion as to exactly who (what sort of position held) I would question at NCL about this arrangement? So far they only say, "there is nothing available." Lots of ABs are available if I put in 4 instead of 5. Thanks

And in some of the photos of Star it sure looks like an adult could sleep on the sofa. Some say it's a pullout bed and others say it's just a bench seat. Could it be that it varies from cabin to cabin?

If I am not mistaken (and it does happen ;)), I think that the Sofa's were changed with the Freestyle 2.0 that was implemented in 2008.

Again, I think the reason that you can not book any more than 4 is because of the Lifeboat capacity. Have you called NCL and asked them directly? I would give that a try.

Here are some photos of the AB 11050 from our cruise last February. Our 3 kids (4, 7 and 9) loved sleeping in the the small bedroom. There is a bed that pulls down from the wall and then the sofa pulls out into a full size bed. It's pretty cramped, but the kids loved their slumber party each night.

Also here's a picture of the sofa in the living room. The cushion in the sofa sort of lifts up and become a very small bed. It does not pull out into a full size bed. The kids decided to all sleep in the small bedroom instead.

SmallBedroom.jpg

Sofa.jpg

We just had an AB on the Star. The sofa/futon in the LR was long enough for my 6' DH stretch out and watch TV. We never saw it opened into the bed, though. The small bedroom had the couch made up into a bed the entire trip (even though I asked the steward to make it up into a couch). It was a double bed - not queen. Plus you had the drop down bed for another person. IMO, it sleeps 5.

Also, the master can be closed off with the drapes if you want complete darkness and the pocket doors give you even more privacy.

I'm thinking the issue has to do with lifeboat regulations. Has your cruise come close to selling out?

Here are some photos of the AB 11050 from our cruise last February. Our 3 kids (4, 7 and 9) loved sleeping in the the small bedroom. There is a bed that pulls down from the wall and then the sofa pulls out into a full size bed. It's pretty cramped, but the kids loved their slumber party each night.

Also here's a picture of the sofa in the living room. The cushion in the sofa sort of lifts up and become a very small bed. It does not pull out into a full size bed. The kids decided to all sleep in the small bedroom instead.

Sofa.jpg

What a PERFECT picture of the new sofa's......!!! sHa_okay.gif

This is EXACTLY what it looks like in a Dawn AB......:D :D

My DH and Girl's would stretch out on it and take naps.......tired-sleeping-smiley-17391.gif

This time the NCL agent agreed that I could book an AB for 5. She did NOT answer my question about the possibly different furniture in the various suites, however, so I can only guess that they are all as shown in Homeboy1003's post.

What I learned is that even if I keep the same booking #, if I change categories, I pay the price that is being charged today, including the extra passengers in the cabin charge (ours was only $99 per). So I cannot add 2 more pax for only $99 each plus tax etc. Today it's an additional $399 pp.

So even with my husband's military and latitudes discounts, the cost for the AB for 5 is about the same as it would be for 3 separate cabins (one inside single (double rate), and two balconies), the difference being that I personally cannot afford the balcony without my DD sharing 1/3 of the cost.

This questioning of options helped me clarify that I don't want to share a small balcony cabin with my older friend,(but would with my DD), despite the fact that it has the huge 98 sq ft balcony, but would not mind sharing a suite or maybe a minisuite with her, and that I do not want to do without a balcony.

So, until DD gets a definite affirmation from the boyfriend, we're sticking with what we've got until a price drop or a special for less per extra passenger in cabin! It's over 7 months 'til final payment!

Not that it matters, but this process has really helped me see what I want from a cabin/suite.

I may investigate the mini suite now!

I do thank you all for your comments and sharing your photo albums.

Here is possibly the best review of the AB:

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

It's of the Star, but it's identical to the layout of the Dawn. Also, consider getting the AB with an adjoining Mini-Suite (sleeps 4). The AB can definitely sleep 6 (2 in the master bedroom, 3 in the smaller bedroom, albeit tight, and 1 in the living room with the fold out bed - single only). But, it depends on the total bookings for the ship based on lifeboat capacity. If most or all of the cabins that sleep 4 are booked with 4 then the possibility of 6 in the AB is slim.

We sailed in an AB with in-laws in the adjoining AF mini. They were able to go to Cagney's with us for breakfast. But, the work-around for that is to order breakfast from Cagney's delivered to the cabin for everyone.... works like a charm!

We LOVE the AB. Link to many pics in my signature.

Archived