Seabourn Pride: Asian Capitals and Vietnam II (3/27/10)

crewser10

Dear Susan

It wont be that long until your trip, very exciting.

Regarding the two shops

Wing Shing Cheung open 11.00 - 8.00 p.m

tel 28324004

Ying Fat Cheung opwn 10.00 - 6.30

tel 25455554

closed sunday

We also cant wait as we are booked on Odyssey Sydney to Hong Kong, our first time on the big sister.

Have fun with your shopping and have a great holiday Angie

Skandis,

The name of the tailor was Welfit(or Wellfit). They are located on Moody street a short distance down off of Nathan Road.No doubt there are tailors who are superior but as I said Sailor Boy was quite pleased and he is rather fussy about fit. They had a tremendous selction of beautiful Itlaian wool fabric.We will definitely go back there next time we are in Hong Kong.

My husband and I are also on this cruise but can someone confirm that Seabourn will get us our Visas for Veitnam when we board the ship? My travel agent says we have to get them ourselves but I am sure I read on C.C. that is not so.

Please can someone confirm what we should do.

We were on the Pride for the December Vietnam cruise....visas were done on board at a cost considerably less then getting them in the US. No need to get them before. Your agent should call Seabourn so she is well informed (mine did for me and found the correct info.)

Angie - thank you for the info on the mahjong tiles. I am looking forward to getting a new set or two. I play American twice a week. It would be fun to get a Chinese mahjong game going but I no longer know a lot of people who play.

Chairsin - we will go to Wellfit and a jacket (and if the price is right - maybe a suit also) that would make DH very happy. I have always wanted to 'shop' Hong Kong.

Susan

My husband and I are also on this cruise but can someone confirm that Seabourn will get us our Visas for Veitnam when we board the ship? My travel agent says we have to get them ourselves but I am sure I read on C.C. that is not so.

Please can someone confirm what we should do.

You can check the required visa information by clicking on Already Booked on Seabourn's website, logging in with your cruise info and clicking on Visa Information. You will be redirected to another website that will ask you which cruise you are on and tell you what visas you need and if you will get them on the ship, or if they need to be secured before hand. In case you want the official answer.

But Skeezics is right, the Vietnam visa will be handled on board.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some input, which we have always found a fantastic source from the members of this board. My wife and I will take the Pride on March 27 and look forward to having a fantastic time. Questions, we have not visited Hong Kong before and we will spend a few nights prior to sailing in Hong Kong. Is it better to stay on the Kowloon side or the Island itself? Am I correct in my belief that the port is on the Kowloon side?

I am also finding it very helpful with the comments on this particular thread. We will have three days before in HK are there any must do tours that we should take. Same on the back end in Singapore.

Appreciate any and all input.

Joe and Pat

The Pride will be docked at The Ocean Terminal, which is just next to the Star Ferry pier on the Kowloon side (TsimSha Tsui area). Hotels on the Kowloon side is more suitable for tourists while the HK side is more business oriented. The Central on the HK side (the downtown) is really the business and financuial area. Besides, I found staying on the TsimSha Tsui area gave me excuses to use the Star ferry frequently to cross to the HK side for sightseeing. You can also use the subway (MTR) to cross, its fast and efficient but not scenic.

Hk is a fantastic place to wander on your own and explore, almost everyone speaks english and is quite a safe place for a big city. Enjoy and see you onboard (I am also on the 3/27 sailing with five other friends).

• 2 weeks later...
The Pride will be docked at The Ocean Terminal, which is just next to the Star Ferry pier on the Kowloon side (TsimSha Tsui area). Hotels on the Kowloon side is more suitable for tourists while the HK side is more business oriented. The Central on the HK side (the downtown) is really the business and financuial area. Besides, I found staying on the TsimSha Tsui area gave me excuses to use the Star ferry frequently to cross to the HK side for sightseeing. You can also use the subway (MTR) to cross, its fast and efficient but not scenic.

Hk is a fantastic place to wander on your own and explore, almost everyone speaks english and is quite a safe place for a big city. Enjoy and see you onboard (I am also on the 3/27 sailing with five other friends).

Thank you, look forward to seeing you onboard. Having really given HK the best of my research, I believe that we pretty well have a gameplan going forward. Like you, we much prefer the scenic so the ferry will probably be abused, Octopus Cards a must. From what I have gleaned theold fitness center at the hotel will also take a beating, and on board. :mad:

Yes we too will be aboard and it will be the fourth time we have done this particular cruise. It is fantastic. One tip about taking a taxi from your hotel in H.K. is to ask the

reception to write the name of the hotel in chinese and keep it with you. We found it

useful as one we got into did not understand Intercontinental Hotel and we had to stop three times to find someone to explain in chinese.

Just four weeks - I am counting the days.

Yes we too will be aboard and it will be the fourth time we have done this particular cruise. It is fantastic. One tip about taking a taxi from your hotel in H.K. is to ask the

reception to write the name of the hotel in chinese and keep it with you. We found it

useful as one we got into did not understand Intercontinental Hotel and we had to stop three times to find someone to explain in chinese.

Just four weeks - I am counting the days.

Hi, we are all looking forward to this upcoming cruise. Seeing as you have done this cruise before perhaps you can shed some light on exactly what, if any, visas are required. Normal visit to Hong Kong is no problem visa not required, Vietnam will be issued on board but are any others mandatory....

Along those same lines of thought, what is mandatory as far as immunizations required, we want to have all our paperwork in order and the clock is ticking. Appreciate your input.

We are also staying in Hong Kong for 2 nights at the Intercontinental Kowloon. Any recommendations for good pearls (high quality reasonably priced)? Also, looking for privat tour for Hanoi...was told we can see more. Any suggestions for tour co/type of tour?

With regard to Visas we have been informed that Seabourn will issue them on board which willl be 'First' for us as we have always had to obtain them ourselves.

Re Immunizations as far as we are concerned we have not to have any.

I'd just add that no Malaria pills are necessary for the countries on our itinerary, but its wise to have swineflu shot and regular flu shot if not already taken.

For US citizen the only visa required is for Vietnam and that will be issued through Seabourn onboard.

Hi, all who will be on this cruise, if we can just do an informal roll call that will be great, Maybe we can, if you want to, share other thoughts and needs for tours etc while on board. Looking forward to seeing and greeting one and all, for sure we will have agreat cruise. We will be at the Sheraton HK Towers from 3/24 and the St.Regis in Singapore afterwards until 3/12. Fun for all.....

We used Smile Tours for private tours for 2 of us for all 4 days in Vietnam, and they were great. They were reliable, good English speaking guides, good drivers ( that could handle the crazy, heartstopping traffic in Vietnam).and reasonably priced.

My husband Jim and I (Lori) will be on this tour. I am currently looking to book a private tour for Saigon to see the Cu Chi Tunnels (by water if possible) and other Saigon sights. We are from Atlanta (Lori and Jim Kilberg).

Did you think they were better than the ship excursions? Was it a problem with just 2 of you (there are just 2 of us as well). We had booked ship excursions except for Saigon, but I'm wondering if I should use more private tours.

We loved the private tours, because you could change things. If you don't feel like seeing one more temple, you can say so and skip. Cut times shorter, make them longer, not waiting for others who take eons. Also our guide was with us during the day, then waited while we had a sunset cocktail at the Rex, returned us to the ship, waited while we showered and changed for dinner at a French restaurant, dropped us off and returned to take us back to the ship. Covered so much more in a day. (Don't miss Pho at Pho 2000, great lunch)

Did you think they were better than the ship excursions? Was it a problem with just 2 of you (there are just 2 of us as well). We had booked ship excursions except for Saigon, but I'm wondering if I should use more private tours.

Hi Jim and Lori, like you there are just the two of us. In reading the many posts on this board, it would appear that a number of past guests have enjoyed private tours, as can be be seen. With that in mind I have sent e-mails to both Tony Ann and Smile Tours outlining our timing in port and various locations, together with a request for there proposals to cover our time in Vietnam. Tony Ann has sent me a quick response advising that they will be in touch ASAP. Will keep you posted, if you want you can contact us at josephadaly@bellsouth.net we are in Florida. Look forward to meeting you.:)

Archived