HELP! Last Minute Cruise for Family of 5 Needed

bride91501

Hello everyone! I'm new to the boards. My husband and I have been on 3 cruises in the last 3 years, and we've just decided to take our 3 kids on their first cruise for the Christmas holiday.

We know, it's last minute :D but we hope to find something available at a great price last minute.

4-7 nights, between Dec 19-27. We're retired military. Any ideas??

Hello everyone! I'm new to the boards. My husband and I have been on 3 cruises in the last 3 years, and we've just decided to take our 3 kids on their first cruise for the Christmas holiday.

We know, it's last minute :D but we hope to find something available at a great price last minute.

There is a Carnival ship that leaves out of Baltimore...that would be convenient since you are in DC.

Carnival Pride sails out of Baltimore on the 20th and 27th.

That's true, but Carnival does not show any available cabins in December for a Baltimore departure, thus my post. Perhaps you could find them on a discounter's webpage?

If you extend your budget to do 14 nights, try Explorer of the Seas, 12/20/2009 sailing from New Jersey. There are still cabins available. But no discounts (I've been watching for the last few days). If you drive to port, use one of Wyndham Newark airport hotel's $99 park-and-fly specials where you can have one night hotel and 14days parking.

Not sure if there are still any interior connected cabins left within your budget. I imagine you'd need two adjacent cabins to fit 6. Alternatively, catch a cheap cruise in early January -- there are quite a few at less than half the price.

Both Galveston and New Orleans have more than one Carnival ship that go to Western and Eastern Carribean ports of call. Out of Galveston, Carnival Ecstasy makes both 4- and 5-day trips to Cozumel and Progresso. Also, Carnival Conquest makes 7-day trips alternating between eastern and western stops. You would have to fly into Houston to get the Galveston. From New Orleans, Carnival Triumph makes 7-day trips to various carribean ports. These ships are great for families. We take our whole family (10 in all) each year on a cruise. Call your TA or call Carnival direct. Good Luck.

What about the Norwegian Gem out of New York on Dec. 19? I've never been on this ship, but it is in your time-frame and your local.

Hello,

I just joined this great forum the other day and can't stop reading:D

I live in the DC area and we have taken 4 other past holiday cruises. Last night i booked a last minute 14 nite cruise on Explorer of the Seas out of NJ. This isnt the 40 minute drive from Silver Spring but 3.5 hours isnt too bad considering that we drove all the way to Miami for a cheap cruise last Xmas.

We have done NCL Sky, Celebrity Summit, Carnival Liberty, and the Glory. All cruise lines will have plenty for the kids to do as it is a holiday sailing. My kids prefered the Carnival while the adults preferred the Summit. All were excellent!!!

Of course this will be my first time traveling alone with my 17 year old son:eek:

We were originally looking at the Pride or the Mercury in Baltimore but they are both full. Historically, we have driven my whole family (of 4) down to Florida as waiting til the last minute can get you an excellent price, if you dont care about the itinerary. Of course all the discounted airfares are all but done, so you may consider driving.

How old are your kids?

For a 4-7 day cruise - check: Jacksonville (11 hours), Port Canaveral (14.5 hours) or Tampa (15.5 hours). There are still a few good deals... The 7 day cruise from up north are at sea alot so starting down south gives you more warm days and more islands...

If you're driving to Florida, the trick is leaving DC at 4am so that you avoid rush hour here and in Richmond. Its pretty smooth sailing from there, until you reach Jacksonville...

You could also try Priceline for airfare and name your own price. I've done that before but never for 5...

Good Luck!!!

Archived