New Epic build pictures?

ddakrt

How could anyone call her boxy?

Once inside, she is all curves :)

There are lots of new ships lately but not as modern and curvy like this one.

Her interior is definitely about curves. I totally agree about that from the new wave walls to the interesting lights they have in different venues (oval more than simple circular). It's got a very interesting feel to the interior and I like what I've seen thus far. The ship's exterior in the artist renderings made it look like a rectangular box and not very rounded. She does look more rounded in real life though. :)

Sorry, but this is about the most butt ugly exterior design I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The inside will have to go a LONG ways to overcome that outside look.

I'm not buying it, I'm only a passenger. I don't care what other passengers on a passing cruise ship think. I will only be concerned if they start throwing tomatoes.

2 new pics of her out of the drydock.

1112164.jpg1112163.jpg

Fullsize links:

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/1112164/Ship+Photo+NORWEGIAN+EPIC.jpg

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/1112163/Ship+Photo+NORWEGIAN+EPIC.jpg

I wonder if those marks on the ducktail has anything to do with the fire. I just notice that the name on the stern is gone too, and looking back at the pics I saved they seemed to have painted it over even before the fire, I wonder why that is.

The same thing happened to the "Norwegian Cruise Line" and "Freestyle Cruising" text that used to be on the side of the ship, it's now painted over too.

Speaking of the ducktail, I really like how it looks on the Epic. In fact I think it's one of the best looking on any ships that has one. The Epic doesn't have a classic tapered stern section that so many people likes, but I'm really digging how she looks from the back. I'll even say she's attractive from the rear 3/4 view! :D

Anyway I absolutely love seeing all these new pictures, it's so cool seeing the ship come together especially now that she's almost done. :D

Kris - I think the ducktail needed some repainting before hand anyway. Because it sticks out aft from the rest of the ship the things that go on further up on the ship in the aft fall right onto that part and then fall off into either the water or just stick. It either needs to be power washed or re-painted. I don't know what to say about the other Freestyle Cruising disappearing. Seems strange they would paint over it. They have the logo revealed though on the smoke stacks and even though we could see it before - thank god it's the OLD logo! :)

As always thanks for posting the link! Some crew friends I know are heading there today and will be arriving tomorrow to the ship!

Sorry, but this is about the most butt ugly exterior design I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The inside will have to go a LONG ways to overcome that outside look.

Sorry I would agree about the early renderings below but as the ship comes together it really has established a powerful good look in the latest pictures.

2165391570059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Yes, there's a few more pictures taken this weekend out of the dry dock. In fact they were probably taken yesterday when we saw the ship moving at 6 knots on another ship tracking website.

She looks really nice! The more I see, the more I'm impressed. She's pretty big...

I'm now going on shipspotting.com on a daily basis to see updates.

Here are a couple more from the same move. With the brighter white section in front, there's a bit of an optical illusion in the second picture where it seems you can see both the bow and the stern, as if the ship is bent. :)

Ship+Photo+NORWEGIAN+EPIC.jpg

Ship+Photo+NORWEGIAN+EPIC.jpg

Wow, she is HUGE

She looks over twice the size as the typical cruise ship

I thought the same thing, but she's really not that big compared to others. The Epic is 1080 feet long, 133 feet wide, and 153k tons of displacement. There are dozens of ships that are 950+ feet and around 105 - 110 feet wide, including all the ships in the Vision class on RCI that were launched 12 years ago. Now, most of these ships are in the 75k to 100k ton range, so clearly there's a lot more overall size (interior volume, height) to the Epic compared to those classes of ships.

Now, step up the Voyager class on RCI and you're looking at 5 ships just over 1000 feet and 138k tons, which is just under the Epic. However, the Voyager class is over 20 feet wider than the Epic at max beam (157 versus 133). One more class up into the Freedom class you have 3 ships that are flat out larger than the Epic. They are longer and heavier, but slightly narrower. They hold a few hundred less passengers, which is a testament to the Epic's smaller room sizes (I sure hope the curve makes it feel bigger.

Now to the biggie. The Oasis is nearly 1200 feet long, 184 feet wide (that's 50 feet wider!), and 220k gross tonnage. Truly a monster.

Other notables...

The new Carnival Dream, the largest in their fleet, is just a little smaller than the Epic at 1000 feet and 130k tons.

Celebrity's Solstice is 120k tons and about 1040ft long. It actually was ranked by Conde Nast as the best "large" cruise ship this last year.

So, I guess while the Epic big, it's not GIANT. There are a lot of ships out there as long as wide, and probably as tall. While size matters, to me it's about what they do inside that counts. :rolleyes:

By the way, I enjoy looking at all the pictures...I'm always trying to find my room. lol

I agree with you SDMIKE. She's big, but not THAT big. She's comparable to other ships in the 130k+ tons. She holds a lot of people, but their staterooms are really much smaller. Compared to Carnival staterooms for example, and the Epic really has small rooms. I really really hope they don't feel too small. That's why they created those waves, to give an optic illusion they are bigger.

Thanks for pointing out these new photos SDMike! These are great shots. At first, in her early stages, I didn't think this ship was very attractive. I have now decided that it is a very sharp looking ship. It was really cool to see scaffolding at the AFT right in front of the cabin I booked (in the 1st new photo). :p

"oh boy is this great...." (<doing her best Flounder voice from Animal House...)

:D

I live a few miles from the port of Miami. There are no monster ships in that port. Oasis is in Ft Lauderdale and Dream is in Port Canaveral. Epic is going to tower over these other ships. The Miami skyline is next to the port so it will look interesting to see how tall this ship is against the skyscrapers.

All the ships in the port of Miami are much older ships. Many are going to have Epic envy ;)

Thanks for the new pictures SD Mike. It's the optical illusion that she's longer or something with the all white. I miss the aft decals on her. Maybe those will make a re-appearance (FreeStyle Cruising). It helps to break up the all white look aft. She glows in the sun though! :)

David Sobe - She will dwarf all the ships in Miami which is a good thing! Let the others envy her. Wish I could see her in NYC when she comes across. I'm going to try but school might prevent it! :(

David Sobe - She will dwarf all the ships in Miami which is a good thing! Let the others envy her. Wish I could see her in NYC when she comes across. I'm going to try but school might prevent it! :(

The funny thing the Epic is just about the same size as the RCCL Freedom class ships. I believe the Freedom still sails from MIA.

The funny thing the Epic is just about the same size as the RCCL Freedom class ships. I believe the Freedom still sails from MIA.

The Freedom class ships are moving to Ft. Lauderdale, within the next year or so I think. The only RCCL ship we will have in Miami permanently is the tiny Majesty of the Seas. So Epic will dwarf those around her eventually.

Archived