Just Back From Carnival Spirit 27 Nov - 05 Dec

SDPadreFan

Carnival Spirit: 27 Nov 2009 - 05 Dec 2009

We had a great time again on Carnival Spirit. I'll try to post 2 cruise days review each day. Didn't take a lot of pictures because we've done this itinerary before. I'll also post a link to the Carnival Capers once I get them scanned.

Embarkation Day - San Diego

No problems with embarkation. It was a little crowded because Holland America also had a ship in port. We probably arrived at the terminal around 12pm. First was the security check. A hint (for San Diego) - you DO NOT have to wait in a specific line to go through security. Once you ARE PAST security, then you have to choose your particular ship. In our case, the security lines for Holland America were much shorter than for Carnival Spirit. We were actually directed over to the Holland America lines just to relieve the crowding for Carnival Spirit. Because of this, we probably zoomed past 30 or 40 people waiting in the Carnival line. After the security check, we had to fill out a health questionnaire at some small tables. Another hint - skip the tables and just fill it out while waiting in line (bring your own pen). At that point, the check in with Carnival was easy, got our pictures taken for our "Sail & Sign" cards, we bypassed the sail-away photographers (just walk around them), and boarded the ship. Took maybe 30 minutes tops. We went straight to the Excursion Desk to sign up for the "Behind The Fun" Tour. Cost was $95.00 each. It's a great tour and worth it to do at least once in your life.

After the excursion desk, we headed up to the Lido Deck for lunch. The buffet was a little crowded so we just opted for burgers and fries out by the pool area. The chili was also pretty serviceable as well. Not about to win a chili cook-off, but not bad. Then we went to our stateroom (Veranda Deck, 7188, extended balcony) to drop off our carry-on's. Our luggage had already arrived, so we unpacked and put everything away.

Then it was time for the Safety Briefing. As people have previously mentioned, you no longer have to take your life-jacket with you so that was nice. Strangely - looking across at the Holland America Statendam, they still had to wear their life-jackets during the briefing. Perhaps they didn't get the memo.

We had early dining and had some great table-mates (Christina, Lenny, Marylou, Les and Penny) so there were 7 of us. We were assigned table 229 - second deck, starboard side, aft. It was a little too far aft although there were still quite a few tables behind us. The problem with the second deck aft tables is the noise & vibration from the azipods. For us, it was ok, we just talked louder, but I know that it can bother some people. When you first check onboard and get your "Sail & Sign" cards, check your table assignment. If you are on the 2nd Deck with a high number table like ours (229), you may want to check with the Maitre D' to see if you can move further forward (lower number) or perhaps up to the 3rd Deck. Dinner was great, service team was pretty good.

We didn't go to the Welcome Aboard Show. It was at 10:30pm and featured Stu (the Cruise Director) who was then followed by the comedian Paul Lyons. We already knew Stu from 2 previous cruises on the Elation so it was no biggie for us. We just went back to our stateroom for the evening.

Smooth sailing the first evening.

Carnival Spirit: 27 Nov 2009 - 05 Dec 2009

We had a great time again on Carnival Spirit. I'll try to post 2 cruise days review each day. Didn't take a lot of pictures because we've done this itinerary before. I'll also post a link to the Carnival Capers once I get them scanned.

Embarkation Day - San Diego

No problems with embarkation. It was a little crowded because Holland America also had a ship in port. We probably arrived at the terminal around 12pm. First was the security check. A hint (for San Diego) - you DO NOT have to wait in a specific line to go through security. Once you ARE PAST security, then you have to choose your particular ship. In our case, the security lines for Holland America were much shorter than for Carnival Spirit. We were actually directed over to the Holland America lines just to relieve the crowding for Carnival Spirit. Because of this, we probably zoomed past 30 or 40 people waiting in the Carnival line. After the security check, we had to fill out a health questionnaire at some small tables. Another hint - skip the tables and just fill it out while waiting in line (bring your own pen). At that point, the check in with Carnival was easy, got our pictures taken for our "Sail & Sign" cards, we bypassed the sail-away photographers (just walk around them), and boarded the ship. Took maybe 30 minutes tops. We went straight to the Excursion Desk to sign up for the "Behind The Fun" Tour. Cost was $95.00 each. It's a great tour and worth it to do at least once in your life.

After the excursion desk, we headed up to the Lido Deck for lunch. The buffet was a little crowded so we just opted for burgers and fries out by the pool area. The chili was also pretty serviceable as well. Not about to win a chili cook-off, but not bad. Then we went to our stateroom (Veranda Deck, 7188, extended balcony) to drop off our carry-on's. Our luggage had already arrived, so we unpacked and put everything away.

Then it was time for the Safety Briefing. As people have previously mentioned, you no longer have to take your life-jacket with you so that was nice. Strangely - looking across at the Holland America Statendam, they still had to wear their life-jackets during the briefing. Perhaps they didn't get the memo.

We had early dining and had some great table-mates (Christina, Lenny, Marylou, Les and Penny) so there were 7 of us. We were assigned table 229 - second deck, starboard side, aft. It was a little too far aft although there were still quite a few tables behind us. The problem with the second deck aft tables is the noise & vibration from the azipods. For us, it was ok, we just talked louder, but I know that it can bother some people. When you first check onboard and get your "Sail & Sign" cards, check your table assignment. If you are on the 2nd Deck with a high number table like ours (229), you may want to check with the Maitre D' to see if you can move further forward (lower number) or perhaps up to the 3rd Deck. Dinner was great, service team was pretty good.

We didn't go to the Welcome Aboard Show. It was at 10:30pm and featured Stu (the Cruise Director) who was then followed by the comedian Paul Lyons. We already knew Stu from 2 previous cruises on the Elation so it was no biggie for us. We just went back to our stateroom for the evening.

Smooth sailing the first evening.

Great information. I will be on that same cruise in February.

What is the "Behind The Fun" Tour and how long did it last?

Also I don't mean to jump ahead of everything but I have a return flight leaving at 12:30. Will we have plenty of time if we depart the ship early?

SDPadreFan,

I didn't get a chance to go to the meet and greets. This is quite funny, we were one table in front of you (227). The first couple of days we had only 5 people at our table but then had 7 except for one night we had 5 when my parents didn't make it to dinner. It was a shame that Alex had to leave us but Wayan did an excellent job, in my opinion. There were three of us that walked in together, myself (goatee), my wife and a tall, stocky bald guy.

What a great staff all around and an absolutely EXCELLENT cruise.

I didn't really feel the vibration where we were, but we sat all the way in the aft a couple of times for breakfast and felt it!

Take Care and missing the Spirit already!!

What is the "Behind The Fun" Tour and how long did it last?

Also I don't mean to jump ahead of everything but I have a return flight leaving at 12:30. Will we have plenty of time if we depart the ship early?

More detailed information on the "Behind The Fun Tour" will follow. It was held on the 3rd "At Sea" day. Started at 8:45am and lasted about 3 hours.

Don't think you'll have a problem with a 12:30 flight. Debarkation normally starts around 8:30 - 9:00am. The airport is only about 10 minutes away. Just make sure Carnival has your flight times and you will get off the ship early.

Day 1 (28 Nov 2009) – 1st At Sea Day

Smooth seas all day and night – great sailing. Nice and warm by mid-morning.

Up early to walk on deck. Deck 10 on Spirit Class ships runs the full length of the boat so it’s great for walking or jogging. Walked for an hour which is about 3 ½ to 4 miles at my normal pace. After my walk it was time for breakfast. In the past, we have sometimes gone to the dining room for breakfast but this cruise we just stuck to the buffet. Tip – in the buffet, there are at least 2 stations (maybe 3) that cook eggs to order or omelets. At each of these stations there will be a chef cooking eggs (one close to the trays, and one at the other side). You’ll see what I mean when you get there. If no one is using the far side chef, grab your tray and head over there to get your eggs faster. They only had the bacon police out one day that I saw but he would give you as much as you wanted. The rest of the days it was “pig out” so to speak. Holly said the coffee is strong so she was doing a 50/50 blend of coffee and hot water (to thin it out a little).

We tend to not do a lot on our “at sea” days other than relax. Just a good book and a great view is enough. The extended balcony is great for this. We did see a little of the Chicken Olympics up on the Lido Deck. Always a lot of fun. We also caught the tail end (pun intended) of the country western line dance class held in the Pharaoh’s Palace. The ladies will really like the tail end (pun intended) of this show. You don’t have to participate, it’s fun to just watch as well.

First Elegant Night is this evening. For me, that means Prime Rib and for Holly, it means Lobster. Lobster was good according to Holly but small (guessing @ 4-5 inches) so be prepared to order more than one if you so desire. The meal was great. Don’t remember what I had for desert but I’m sure it was good also.

The main show tonight is Jazz Hot. It’s a production show and it was very good. Highlight’s include the song “It’s Raining Men”, the Spirit Show Band performing “In The Mood” and the drummers performance during one song. Don’t remember the song, but it was when they had this huge “sun” prop right next to him. Great talent. Lowlight was when the Spirit singers tried to scat ala Ella Fitzgerald. That was a bit rough around the edges. Spirit still has a 10 piece band and it is really excellent. My understanding is that other ships have scaled back to a 7 piece band. That is a shame. Turned in after the show. Show times were 8:45pm for early seating and 10:30 for late seating.

There was also an "R" rated comedy show by Paul Lyons at midnight (past my bedtime however).

We were checked in at the airport in San Diego at 9:30am last Saturday. Bring proof of your flight to Guest Services desk and they give you zone 2. They discourage self debarkation in San Diego. You can still do it, but you won't really get off sooner than zone 1,2 and you have to drag your luggage down a flight of stairs since you don't debark from the atrium on deck 2. You have to get in line on deck 2 then go down the stairs to deck 1.

We were checked in at the airport in San Diego at 9:30am last Saturday. Bring proof of your flight to Guest Services desk and they give you zone 2. They discourage self debarkation in San Diego. You can still do it, but you won't really get off sooner than zone 1,2 and you have to drag your luggage down a flight of stairs since you don't debark from the atrium on deck 2. You have to get in line on deck 2 then go down the stairs to deck 1.

Thanks for the information. My TA said we would be cutting it to close and should take the 4:30 flight. But last cruise in Miami we arrived at the airport at 10:00 for a 5:30 flight. It was a long wait and didn't get home until 12:30.

SDPADREFAN thanks for your help too.

SDPadreFan:

How funny... we will be in the exact same room in January! Son and daughter-in-law will be next door. Do you have any information about the balcony dividers opening up? Have heard they open towards the railing. Just wondered if it obstructed the view. Thanks for the info regarding the ship.... can't wait to leave!

Great review. Can't wait to read more. I will be cruising on the Spirit in Feb.

Das Boat - we are on the same cruise. Come join in on our thread. We are planning some activities and would love for you to join us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=725036

Thanks for the information. My TA said we would be cutting it to close and should take the 4:30 flight.

One thing to keep in mind with San Diego... Anyone that is not a US or Canadian citizen (or a Canadian Citizen that is a US Resident like my DW) has to go to the Pharaohs Lounge at 6:45am for immigration/customs. If any single person who needs to does not show up, then no one gets off the ship until they do. This could delay debarkation. Now it would have to be an extreme delay for you to miss a 12:30pm flight.

They send a note to the cabin for anyone who needs to be there and talk about it at the debarkation spiel, but I'm sure it's happened on some cruise that one or more people didn't understand they needed to be there and really delayed things. They do call the names eventually. We had two called last week. But if they just don't show, you will be stuck.

For me I considered the possible risk of missing an 11AM flight to be worth saving the extra 3 hours I would have had to wait for sure if I booked the next available later flight.

I'd keep the 12:30pm flight, but DW says I like to stress her out with the earlier flights I've booked after our cruises. But so far I'm batting a thousand! :D

One thing to keep in mind with San Diego... Anyone that is not a US or Canadian citizen (or a Canadian Citizen that is a US Resident like my DW) has to go to the Pharaohs Lounge at 6:45am for immigration/customs. If any single person who needs to does not show up, then no one gets off the ship until they do.

Canadians also have to present themselves to immigration, as I had to this past October. Part of the problem when I travelled is they lost track on who presented themselves and ended up holding everyone up looking for people who had already followed through with instruction. I arrived early and was happily surprised how many others also did so. Part of the confusion was caused by line jumpers that skipped the line and marched right in without checking in with staff.

I made my 12:30 flight home, I don't see why you wouldn't either. The airport is a 5 to 10 minute drive away, with a 12:30 flight you'll get a #2 debarkature time and the luggage is put out in order.

SDPadreFan:

How funny... we will be in the exact same room in January! Son and daughter-in-law will be next door. Do you have any information about the balcony dividers opening up? Have heard they open towards the railing. Just wondered if it obstructed the view. Thanks for the info regarding the ship.... can't wait to leave!

It's a great cabin. We had no problems at all. Our room steward was Jenal (male). The room was always perfectly made up. Turn down service was great. He made a towel animal each night. 2 chocolates on the bed each night. We brought (smuggled) a boxed wine with us and requested 2 wine glasses be delivered each morning when he cleaned the room. He only forgot the wine glasses one time. Water pressure was very good in the shower. Water temp would occasionally flash from hot to cold but that is fairly typical on a cruise ship. It would only last a second or so each time. You "might" experience some scraping chairs from the lido deck when you are out on the balcony. Nothing bad - probably a little worse for the cabins on deck 8 right above you. Fairly quiet area of the ship. I specifically picked this location because the inside cabins in the middle have their door on the other side of the ship. So minimal traffic from people going to their cabins. You will have sunrises on the way south and sunsets on the way home.

Not sure about the connecting balcony doors. On a standard balcony, there is a solid panel that swings in whatever direction it's designed to. On the extended balconies (like 7188), there is a large panel, and then there is another smaller panel (outboard) that makes up the extension of the balcony. Not sure if the whole thing swings or if it's just the larger panel (leaving the smaller one fixed in place).

Canadians also have to present themselves to immigration, as I had to this past October.

Last week US and Canadian citizens did not need to. Don't know if it changes based on some sort of whim, but it was clearly stated during the debarkation talk that US and Canadian citizens did not go to the Pharaohs.

Only a Canadian citizen that was also a US resident (holds a "green card") and citizens from all other countries needed to go. There was actually confusion for DW. We went to guest services and asked about debarkation for her since we didn't go to the talk and we were told then that Canadian citizens did not have to do anything special onboard the ship. We then watched the debarkation talk on the tv replay and it seemed to indicate she did need to go since the talk referenced people with green cards needing to be at the lounge.

So we went back and clarified that DW is a Canadian citizen but a US resident and then a different person was there and told us she did need to go. She even knew DW's name without us giving any ID/personal info which was weird but told us she had just sent the letter saying DW needs to go to our cabin.

Everyone else just walks off the ship and hands their customs form to one person standing there just as you get off the ship. Then you get your luggage and go to your car/ride/taxi, etc. I should have brought some Cuban cigars back with me....:D

Day 2 (29 Nov 2009) – 2nd At Sea Day

Smooth seas all day and night – great sailing. Definitely hot outside, now that we are south of Cabo.

Up early again to walk on deck. Did my standard hour. Have to pay the piper for all that bacon in the morning and desert’s (plural) at night. Had a Calzone for lunch. You just order it from the pizza place and it’s ready in 8-10 minutes. Pretty good stuff.

Another relaxing day at sea for us. Didn’t do too much. Past guest party was tonight 5-6pm in the Pharaoh’s Palace. Guess we had a lot of past guests because the bottom section filled up and they sent the overflow upstairs to the second level. They were able to ramp up the level of service so there was plenty of free munchies as well as free drinks. Tip – we were up on the second deck and they had a big table set up with drinks as you entered the showroom. Instead of waiting for drinks to be brought around later, it was easy to just bop back down there and grab some more free drinks. The show band was playing and there was one older couple that could really do the old dances. Cha Cha, etc. There was also a little boy and girl dancing. I’m guessing they were in the age range of 7-10. The boy even “dipped” the girl a few times which got a lot of applause. Great fun. Afterward we went straight to dinner. Don’t remember what I had that night. On my final day’s post, I’ll list some of the memorable things I had to eat.

We didn’t do the show tonight. This was our 6th cruise so we don’t get quite as excited for the shows as we used to. We go to some, others we skip. Tonight’s performance was “The Unique Comedy & Magic of Woody Pitman”. 7pm showtime for Late Diners – 8:45pm for Early Diners.

Day 3 (30 Nov 2009) – Acapulco Port Visit

Hot and humid. That’s pretty standard for Acapulco. Really doesn’t matter what time of the year you go. We had been to Acapulco in the past so we had already seen the cliff divers before. Today, we were going to just go to the beach and have lunch. We got a blue and white VW Taxi OUTSIDE the port area (much cheaper) and went to Playa Condesa to and old and famous restaurant on the beach called Betos. It’s been there since 1950. Rented a shaded palapa on the beach for 50 pesos and ordered lunch. Relaxed and just looked out on the water. Strangest thing (recently, I’ve ever seen). Besides all the standard beach vendors, there were 2 others that were walking around with big tray’s of donuts for sale (ON THE BEACH!). How those donuts survived the heat of the day I’ll never know. One woman even balanced this big tray on her head as she walked down the beach. Bizarre. Right next to Betos is a bungee jump tower so we got to see a few crazies do that. All in all we had a very nice time there. Important to know that Playa Condesa is a gay friendly beach (no nudity) so you might see various couples. No big deal for us.

We also had the cab driver take us to the local WalMart. Wanted to get some Retin-A from the pharmacy. Cost was about $14.75 per 40g tube (187.60 pesos each). We got 2 tubes. No one spoke English at the pharmacy but they did understand Retin-A when I wrote it out on a piece of paper. The WalMart even had fresh cut Christmas Trees in the store so that was a nice surprise. Guess they grow them somewhere up in the mountains.

On the way back to the ship, we had the driver (we used the same one the whole day, just told him when to pick us up). Take us to the Zocolo (main town square). It is just walking distance to the ship. Nice place to walk around plus their main church is there. After we walked the Zocolo, we crossed the street and walked along the Malecon (old pier area) back to the ship. That’s a worthwhile side trip that is easy walking distance from the ship. Also easy walking distance is Fort San Diego. We saw it the last time and it’s interesting to see.

Back in time on the ship for dinner at 6pm. Hate to miss a meal. Tonight’s show is a local troupe from Acapulco performing a Mexican Folkloric Show. Outstanding show (10pm) in the Pharaoh’s Palace. Some of the band members even came into the dining room during dinner to perform.

All in all, a great day. We would probably repeat the same thing the next time we visit Acapulco. Good food, a beach chair in the shade, a good book and a fabulous view (including the donut lady).

Last week US and Canadian citizens did not need to. Don't know if it changes based on some sort of whim, but it was clearly stated during the debarkation talk that US and Canadian citizens did not go to the Pharaohs.

I am very annoyed how quickly it changed, as on the October 26th cruise, all Canadian were instructed (by notice in the staterooms and debarkation talk) to attend customs. I don't understand how immigration laws can change from port to port (month to month) I always thought this is a National governed system. In Miami (I last cruised there in January 2009) everyone went through customs including Americans.

If you were driving home from Mexico wouldn't you go through customs as an American, so why not on a cruise? I go through Canadian customs when I return to Canada from the USA, so I don't understand why the laws are relaxed in the USA. Just my opinion

Archived