debit cards!

aussiescouser

Hi guys , i know this post has been bought up again and again but was just curious if anyone has used a debit card recently. In my paperwork i received for my upcoming cruise it states the form of payments available but actually says debit card is not the preferred option as sometimes banks can freeze funds, but it does not say that this is not an option!! but then reading other paperwork and online it says that debit cards are not accepted!! :confused: if anyone could assist me with a bit of first hand experience in this matter it would be greatly appreciated ! thanks :D

regards aussiescouser (pete and rose)

Hi guys , i know this post has been bought up again and again but was just curious if anyone has used a debit card recently. In my paperwork i received for my upcoming cruise it states the form of payments available but actually says debit card is not the preferred option as sometimes banks can freeze funds, but it does not say that this is not an option!! but then reading other paperwork and online it says that debit cards are not accepted!! :confused: if anyone could assist me with a bit of first hand experience in this matter it would be greatly appreciated ! thanks :D

regards aussiescouser (pete and rose)

As long as it is linked with a Mastercard or Visa an not just your standard eftpos card, they will accept it. I used my Mastercard debit card on the last cruise and there was no problems. But as they hold the days expenditure at the end of each day, you just have to make sure you have plenty of money on your card. :D

Hi guys

We recently cruised on the Dawn Princess for 2 nights to Melbourne and I registered by Visa debit card online as my form of payment.

I presented my card at check-in and all was well. We only spent $68 onboard, but Princess held a separate $100 on my account for 2 weeks after we returned. I don't have a lot of money at the best of times :eek::eek: and being unable to make full use of my balance for this time was annoying.

I'm guessing that if my cruise was longer the 2 weeks would still apply and it may then have only been just after we returned.

When we cruised on Pacific Dawn in April this year, we used cash for the first time and it worked well. I withdrew $1000 from an atm on the way to the wharf and put most of it on our cards and then kept $200 for duty free in Vila, tips etc.

Jenny

We got off the dawn just over a week ago and used a debit mastercard. Second day in our cards were locked and after nearly 2 hours at the pursers desk on the phone to the bank (commonwealth) we still dont know what the problem was. The bank said firstly that we had gone over the daily limit (had paid balance for wedding reception on the friday night before the sunday cruise) and then that that shouldnt matter because the 'credit' function of the card is unlimited. They then said that they had a major system crash the day before. They assured the pursers desk that we had plenty of funds, which seemed to be enough for them to unlock the cards and we didnt have a problem the rest of the cruise. Weird.

If you can afford it you can deposit cash to your cruise card at the pursers desk, this way you know how much money you are prepared to spend.

It is very easy to overspend your budget by using a credit account.

Its nice to have a final account delivered to your room and having to go and collect cash back from the pursers desk before departure of the ship.

Archived