Buck Island vs. West End Reefs

l_n_m

I am looking for a snorkeling trip in St. Croix, I know many people have suggested going to Bucks Island, I also see Shore Trips has a trip to West End Reefs/Sandy Point Wild Refuge. Anyone have any experience/comments?

thanks, Lisa

Having only been to Buck Island , I can only say it's awesome . We used big Beards with Kaitlan as a deck hand and it was awesome and well worth the money . I have also read that Capt Hienz runs a great trip but I don't know first hand . Keep reading posts and I am sure you will find the right fit for your group . Gotta love these boards . Good Luck and smooth sailin'! Ted

Buck Island is the most poular of the two choices, but that is mostly because the west end snorkel trip is new with the cruise ships coming back. Both will give you an excelnt experiance. the difference is mostly the travel time.

buck island trips depart from christiansted, wich is about a 30 - 45 minute drive away from port. the boat ride is about 25 - 30 minutes to the island. when you get there the snokeling is donr in groups and you follow a guide through the under water trail. if you are not a strong swimmer beware, the water is often choppy being on the north face. turtle beach is very nice but can get crouded with other boats and guests.

The west end snorkel trip is a 5 minute ride from the cruise dock and you will be on the boat about 10 - 15 minutes before your first stop for snorkeling. Sandy point is the wildlife preserve that you will go to. this is THE best spot for finding sand dollers and conk shells. the water on the west end is very calm being sheltered by the island.

either way you go, you will have a good time. just depends on if you want to ride in a vehical for an extended time. one nice thing about going to christiansted is you get to see the island as you drive there.

hope this helps!

Seth

Archived