Tipping "POLICE" Grill Passengers - Intimidation?

cruzer225

Never before on the dozens of cruises taken between 1980-2009 have I ever had this experience:

During the cruise, I made a conscious decision to adjust my tips to take into consideration the lacking pampering, the adherence to clothing guidelines for dinner, the somewhat melancholy attitude by staff (they appeared overwhelmed to have a fully booked ship) and yet there were others who exceeded and "bent over backwards" to make little problems we had "right."

I was given a form and two sea day opportunities to correct the tip and the billing. Two "men in black" sitting at separate tables questioned (grilled) passengers into wanting to know exactly why they wanted to change the recommended tipping, if the passengers knew that the tips were shared with those we'd never see on public decks, those who performed constant maintenance (i.e., window washers, varnishers, painters, etc.), that it should have been brought to the department head's attention if there was anything at all out of kilter that needed rectifying.

My response is that tipping is a personal manner and that I did not want to "own the ship" and meet the overhead costs of personnel, etc. I admit getting rude and saying something like "let's cut the b.s. I will tip those who personally assisted me.

Actually, in the end, I gave more than the recommended tipping as a hefty reward to those who served me graciously and effortlessly. Others had to depend on the rest of the pax for their share of their "salary supplement."

Princess lost a great deal of respect by employing this procedure re: tipping. Some told me this is something new for Princess and is being tested on various ships or sailings. Princess needs to get rid of their TIPPING POLICE.

Never before on the dozens of cruises taken between 1980-2009 have I ever had this experience:

During the cruise, I made a conscious decision to adjust my tips to take into consideration the lacking pampering, the adherence to clothing guidelines for dinner, the somewhat melancholy attitude by staff (they appeared overwhelmed to have a fully booked ship) and yet there were others who exceeded and "bent over backwards" to make little problems we had "right."

I was given a form and two sea day opportunities to correct the tip and the billing. Two "men in black" sitting at separate tables questioned (grilled) passengers into wanting to know exactly why they wanted to change the recommended tipping, if the passengers knew that the tips were shared with those we'd never see on public decks, those who performed constant maintenance (i.e., window washers, varnishers, painters, etc.), that it should have been brought to the department head's attention if there was anything at all out of kilter that needed rectifying.

My response is that tipping is a personal manner and that I did not want to "own the ship" and meet the overhead costs of personnel, etc. I admit getting rude and saying something like "let's cut the b.s. I will tip those who personally assisted me.

Actually, in the end, I gave more than the recommended tipping as a hefty reward to those who served me graciously and effortlessly. Others had to depend on the rest of the pax for their share of their "salary supplement."

Princess lost a great deal of respect by employing this procedure re: tipping. Some told me this is something new for Princess and is being tested on various ships or sailings. Princess needs to get rid of their TIPPING POLICE.

Huh?

"a form to correct the tip and the billing. "

Never heard of such a thing. And not at the end of the cruise On a sea day? Did everyone on the cruise get this "form" or only a few as it was a "form" that was the result of a complaint?

"I gave more than the recommended tipping as a hefty reward to those who served me graciously and effortlessly. Others had to depend on the rest of the pax for their share of their "salary supplement."

Sorry you had a problem, but as the old saying goes, 'the jokes on you'. (please, no offense meant).

By tipping in cash to those you felt did you service, they in turn had to turn over those tips to the tipping pool. If you tipped over and above the recommended amount, they were able to keep the extra. But by going to all this trouble, it did no good whatsoever. All those tips were not kept by those you passed them along to, they went to the same place they would have gone should you have kept the auto tip in place.

I am surprised they didn't also explain this to you.

I also have to ask. You commented about the guidelines for dinner dress. Are you saying you blamed the cruise line for the passengers dress? Just trying to understand what you meant.

Again, sorry you didn't feel pampered enough.

Kudos to Princess. Maybe the CC tipping gurus can rest assure that thier job is done/over/finish because Princess is finally doing theirs.

Thanks for sharing and hopefully this is a new trend where cruise lines are being proactive in protecting the 'wage' of workers.

During the cruise, I made a conscious decision to adjust my tips to take into consideration the lacking pampering, the adherence to clothing guidelines for dinner, the somewhat melancholy attitude by staff (they appeared overwhelmed to have a fully booked ship) and yet there were others who exceeded and "bent over backwards" to make little problems we had "right.

"Princess needs to get rid of their TIPPING POLICE.

....and how does adjusting your tips...........say, by stiffing the waiters...........resolve the clothing guidelines for dinner........:D:D:D

Kudos to Princess. Maybe the CC tipping gurus can rest assure that thier job is done/over/finish because Princess is finally doing theirs.

Thanks for sharing and hopefully this is a new trend where cruise lines are being proactive in protecting the 'wage' of workers.

OMG!!! :eek: I actually totally agree with you! (Well maybe except for the CC tipping gurus part as I think I'm one of them) :D

Deleting the auttip and then tipping more than the autotip accomplished nothing other than getting your dander up. The cabin steward, waitr and assistant waiter put the autotip amount into the tip pool to be share. Only the extra amount stayed with them.

....and how does adjusting your tips...........say, by stiffing the waiters...........resolve the clothing guidelines for dinner........:D:D:D

This sort of boggled my mind as well. And was he punishing them for enforcing or not enforcing the dress code??? And what do dress code issues have to do with stiffing the crew??? I would love to see an explanation for that.

But that could get interesting - a dress and tip debate all in one thread!

Deleting the auttip and then tipping more than the autotip accomplished nothing other than getting your dander up. The cabin steward, waitr and assistant waiter put the autotip amount into the tip pool to be share. Only the extra amount stayed with them.

If that's the case then my advice would be don't tip;)

It was those passengers with either didn't tip at all or who tipped under suggested guidelines that cause these "mandatory" service charges and "autotips" being automatically added to the onboard account. As usual, it is the minority that makes it tough on the rest.

There is NO reason to remove tips - there is no reason NOT to tip at least the minimum. It's all a messed up, in the head, power trip of some sort...or, folks not wanting to spend the money.

Tipping is as much a part of a travel budget as a rental car or tipping after a meal at a restaurant.

As for the "tipping police", those who are penurius affect ALL of us....

Just can't resist putting in "my two cents."

I think autotipping is great. It sure beats the old envelope method of the past. The employees who work very hard to make the cruise enjoyable on a personal basis (room steward, etc.) should receive a little extra from us.

I wish the cruise lines would include the tip in the cruise price and eliminate the option to remove the tip.

Lastly, it autotip was dependent on a dress code, our cruise on the Crown at Thanksgiving would have resulted in every single autotip being removed!

Shirley

The only one who has control over dinner attire, in my opinion, is the maitre'd who smoozes his way to ensure tips...the maitre'ds on the Crown certainly did nothing re: attire. I know it's an old overhashed subject, but why have a clothing code at all...guess it is not a concern for nudist cruises.

NEVER, ever be intimidated about tipping. We live in a day and age where service personnel (including Starbuck workers) think getting a tip is a guarantee and that they don't have to work for it, be friendly, or do anything extra to get it. Tipping is is an earned reward, period. This is especially true on cruises. I hope I am approached on my 14 day CB cruise in Jan. These "men in black" will be told to get out of my face and I'll be the one doing the intimidation. Plus...I just might sue them...http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3578

During the cruise, I made a conscious decision to adjust my tips to take into consideration the lacking pampering, the adherence to clothing guidelines for dinner

I admit getting rude and saying something like "let's cut the b.s. I will tip those who personally assisted me.

Are you actually saying that you docked (and therefore blamed) the crew for guests not adhering dresscodes for dinner? For every crew member that "personally assisted" you, there are at least a couple crew members behind the scenes that make it possible for them to "personally assist" you.

The only one who has control over dinner attire, in my opinion, is the maitre'd who smoozes his way to ensure tips...the maitre'ds on the Crown certainly did nothing re: attire. I know it's an old overhashed subject, but why have a clothing code at all...guess it is not a concern for nudist cruises.

I wonder if a nudist passenger would withhold tips from the crew if someone was allowed in the dining room with clothes on during their nudist cruise?? Maybe the crew should be penalized for not forcing them to immediately remove their clothes! :rolleyes:

Pretty ridiculous argument when you think in those terms isn't it?;)

NEVER, ever be intimidated about tipping. We live in a day and age where service personnel (including Starbuck workers) think getting a tip is a guarantee and that they don't have to work for it, be friendly, or do anything extra to get it. Tipping is is an earned reward, period. This is especially true on cruises. I hope I am approached on my 14 day CB cruise in Jan. These "men in black" will be told to get out of my face and I'll be the one doing the intimidation. Plus...I just might sue them...http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3578

and a matter of choice

When the daily service charge is made part and parcel of the booking fare, and this hopefully sooner than later, then the OP could arrange a meeting with whomever to seek a proportional refund of his fare for their non compliance of ship rules and regulations. In this we wish him well...

I also wonder why you are telling us this?:rolleyes:

CC is still about reporting on board experiences. I commend the OP for reporting the TRUTH knowing the fire storm that will follow. I am delighted to read a first hand account that Princess is stepping up it's game to hold passengers accountable.

Why is he telling us....because it's the TRUTH and it happened. When is that not reason enough:rolleyes:

I wonder if a nudist passenger would withhold tips from the crew if someone was allowed in the dining room with clothes on during their nudist cruise?? Maybe the crew should be penalized for not forcing them to immediately remove their clothes! :rolleyes:

Pretty ridiculous argument when you think in those terms isn't it?;)

Depends hat the offending person looked like. :)

Archived