Dream was no dream

tc71

I wonder what would happen if the towel and book were placed on a chair or off to the side a bit down from the lounge? Would the people who had placed them over an hour earlier have the nerve to say something? If they did, maybe that is when you say, "Oh, I wonder how that happened? I thought it was very kind of who ever to leave their towel and book off to the side, as to not HOG the lounge. Maybe the person who was here before me, set them aside?" Then offer to give them the lounge, as you have been there for over an hour now anyway and are ready to find food again :D

Just a thought for anyone getting ready for their next cruise. Now that wont work if the people come back quickly, and then they really were not HOGS at all, just running off to get a drink or food?

I've moved stuff off loungers on many occasions; I don't like walking around the deck looking for 2 loungers all the while seeing 10's if not 100's with only a book and towel on them. Not once did anyone ever come back within a 1/2 hour, and if anyone ever does in the future, I will happily give them the lounger back. A half hour is fair IMO & enough time to get some food or drinks and return. A few times people have come back after an hour or two and they usually don't say a thing; they just grab their stuff and move along. Just one time did a guy totally flip out; I thought he was going to blow a circiut. He was turning red with rage; veins popping out on his forehead & screaming how I took HIS chair. I just said I didn't know what he was talking about - that it was never HIS chair. Asked him if he would like to discuss it with security. He didn't so after a few minutes of threats & storming around the lounger pretending to accidently kick it, he left too. I didn't see him for the reminder of the cruise... which was probably a good thing. :D

We were on this cruise as well....

unfortunately, of the 3,804 passengers.....3,800 wanted Early Seating.

Well, of course, the dining room can't serve everyone at the Early Seating...so someone had to eat Late.

Platinum guests were probably given the priority because it is a Platinum perk....and since there were over 600 of them....they probably ate up what Early Dining was left.

Generalizations like "no one spoke English" and exaggerations like "can't eat at 9PM with kids" are ridiculous statements....since neither is true. Carnival does not have an 9PM seating. And if someone from a 3rd world country can take the time to learn a whole new language.....I can put forth little effort to understand them. I talk to the folks behind the lines every day and understood them just fine.

This cruise was an absolute DREAM for us. Yes, we had issues which I emailed "Corporate" about this morning and have already gotten a reply.

(and today is a Sunday...now that is service in my book!!!!)

I know I've only been on this board a very short time, but we're sailing on the Dream in January, so I appreciate the comments about the cruise. Not trying to off-topic here, but as an admirer of Jefferson I have to point out that the quotes attributed to Jefferson are not accurate. He never said either one. In fact, the first quote attributed to Jefferson was said by President Ford to a joint session of Congress in 1974 -- and no, he wasn't quoting Jefferson either. You can verify what I said by going to the Ford library and museum website.

I was on this sailing as well (our 18th)....there were a few more problems than I've experienced on a more established ship, nothing too significant with the exception of the power problems and no toilets working but that didn't last too long and you could go back to your cabin if you just had to. What I found gross was my fellow passengers that persisted in using the already soiled public toilets just adding to the mess then fighting with the crew as they came around to lock them until the situtation was resolved.

The pizza was always hot and ready when I went there. I didn't have to stand in line for burgers or pasta (which by the way was the most yummy that I've had anywhere)

As for variety in the buffet to me it seemed just the same as any other ship. I full line up of salad greens and garnishs, 4 or 5 cold pasta/slaw/noodle/fruit type choices. Two proteins on the line (usually chicken and always a fish), plus 4 or 5 hot sides. A soup selection and a carving station (which had a different protein every day) A variety of breads/rolls.

The only things I saw different on the buffet was my 1st experience with bacon police. There wasn't even a sign that said bacon was available but a server had a covered pan and if you asked you would get 3 pieces. Also, a real treat for me as a southern girl was sausage gravy in the morning, but again it wasn't tagged as an item and I wouldn't have known what was in the kettle if I hadn't asked.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to have a more complete assortment of sides on the omlette station. If you want fried eggs or an omlette but also want potatoes or sausage links you have to go to 2 different lines.

Guess the problems with the buffet are the very reason why I now prefer to go to the dining room for breakfast. Haven't tried for lunch yet, but honestly I never have had a issue with waiting for several minutes to get my lunch. Also while our group tends to eat breakfast together we tended to get more separated at lunch.

Also noticed on the Splendor and the Pride that they were generally only 1 at a max 2 servers at both the deli and the pizza stations. Not sure why that is but it seems to be the same fleetwide. An annoyance yes, but not negative as far as I am concerned.

Interesting how one person's review stated there was absolutely nothing to do except go to the pool, while another stated they had lots and lots of fun activities. Guess it all depends on what you like to do I suppose.

Overall I don't give this negative review a whole lot of merit.

So' date=' you've never actually cruised on Carnival then, but are relying on others comments?

Well, that seems a little silly.[/quote']

I've read and seen enough to know that CCL is not a reliable company..that money is their first concern and not their passenger's well being. The Dream is simply not large enough to accomodate comfortably the paying guests CCL wants to cram in. Now we are hearing about staff that can not speak English...the Dream is not a ship I want to be on in the event an emergency. Mr. Arison can't even hire crew that speak English..I guess it is cheaper? But a huge roll of the dice with my safety..something I refuse to do or allow my clients to partake in.

I've read and seen enough to know that CCL is not a reliable company..that money is their first concern and not their passenger's well being. The Dream is simply not large enough to accomodate comfortably the paying guests CCL wants to cram in. Now we are hearing about staff that can not speak English...the Dream is not a ship I want to be on in the event an emergency. Mr. Arison can't even hire crew that speak English..I guess it is cheaper? But a huge roll of the dice with my safety..something I refuse to do or allow my clients to partake in.

I will agree with you that service has gone downhill. I would bet that its not only on Carnival. Years ago when I first started to cruise ships were much smaller, crews were much smaller and there were not as many cruise lines. Cruise lines had the pick of workers. Only the best were put on ships and were very easily replaced.

I wonder what would happen if the towel and book were placed on a chair or off to the side a bit down from the lounge? Would the people who had placed them over an hour earlier have the nerve to say something? If they did, maybe that is when you say, "Oh, I wonder how that happened? I thought it was very kind of who ever to leave their towel and book off to the side, as to not HOG the lounge. Maybe the person who was here before me, set them aside?" Then offer to give them the lounge, as you have been there for over an hour now anyway and are ready to find food again :D

Just a thought for anyone getting ready for their next cruise. Now that wont work if the people come back quickly, and then they really were not HOGS at all, just running off to get a drink or food?

I prefer just saying, "Oh, I decided to save the chair for you. Aren't I a better seat-saver than a book or a towel? This way nobody thinks you're a rule-breaking chair hog!"

As for the speaking English part, they do speak it however it isn't their first language. I work with a woman that is from the Philippines and has lived her forever, she speaks English, however with her accent she can still be extremely hard to understand.

Most of the crew who regularly communicates with passengers speak English pretty well you just have to listen a bit more closely. Some people just don't have the patience to listen closely.

First, ship is beautiful, minor problem with getting stuck in the elevators,

Worst curise I ever taken.

Did not get assigned diner time, had to eat in the Buffet, can't eat at 900 with kids.

Buffet had no varriety, food was warm if not cold, missed labeled and no one spoke English behind the lines. (Always had to ask for milk for the kids. Design of Servery sucked, and stop putting dishes on the tray slide, ( making you pick up your tray and go around.) Seating area was cold. with no music.

Buss people should wipe the table with a clean cloth after someone leaves, not a used napkin.

Ice cream was ice milk

Pizza bar 24/7 hours was only manned by one person, and never had pizza rady.

Needs a bigger Pool.

....... but did the webcam work!:eek:

Not all the people on cruise critic are stock owners or work for ccl. So just because some of the people had a good cruise with grear service does not mean the service has not went down on ccl in general. If ccl was having service problems on the smaller ships it just goes to reaso that if service personel is not trained better or show more concern that on a bigger ship it is going to be even worse. And as for G,ma i am glad you have had great service on all your cruises, i just wish i have the good luck of cruising as much as you in the future. The ccl staff are told ahead of time when someone of your standing is coming on the ship so i am sure you get the best service they can give you. I do consider myself blessed to have been on 16 cruise so far 14 with ccl so it is not like i hate ccl i just noticed that service in dinning areas has went downhill since i first cruised with ccl, my cabin steward has always been just about perfect so it is not the whole ship they just dont seem to act as if they care much at all when you bring a problem up with them, i am not the type of person that lets a couple of problems ruin my whole cruise or i would have taken ccl up on thier guarantee and got of ship. You should lighten up a little and just consider that the service for some is not near what it was at one time. You are just like the king to ccl:).

Well' date=' frankly, I've recently completed my 68th Carnival cruise and I've never had a service issue or a service problem. I find that most reviews here and elsewhere are quite good.

There is no overall "service problem". Might there be an incident once in a while? Sure. When traveling, there can be glitches. But bad or falling service as a matter of course, no way.

Of course, if someone considers themselves royalty or if, indeed, Q Elizabeth is cruising, I could see where service might not be up to snuff in their eyes.[/quote']

Totally agree. We've not had a "service" problem in 5 CCL cruises, and our last on the Miracle was extraordinary (except for that bartender that wouldn't let us sit at the aft bar with food when there wasn't a seat to be found - shake it off, people!):) Here's how it works - we smile, they smile back or they smile & we smile back.:D Never had a problem!

Totally agree. We've not had a "service" problem in 5 CCL cruises, and our last on the Miracle was extraordinary (except for that bartender that wouldn't let us sit at the aft bar with food when there wasn't a seat to be found - shake it off, people!):) Here's how it works - we smile, they smile back or they smile & we smile back.:D Never had a problem!

What a great attitude! hope you're on my cruise!!

I saw where one person reported that the staff doesn't speak English, but I, along with countless othersm can assure you the staff members on board the Dream DO speak English. I didn't encounter a single worker who couldn't speak English -- not one, whether it be in the dining rooms, on deck, in the buffet line, or anywhere -- not one!! I previously read that employees actually need to pass a language test in order to get hired.

Is English your second language??

Worst curise I ever taken.

Did not get assigned diner time, had to eat in the Buffet, can't eat at 900 with kids.

Buffet had no varriety, food was warm if not cold, missed labeled and no one spoke English behind the lines. (Always had to ask for milk for the kids. Design of Servery sucked, and stop putting dishes on the tray slide, ( making you pick up your tray and go around.) Seating area was cold. with no music.

Buss people should wipe the table with a clean cloth after someone leaves, not a used napkin.

Ice cream was ice milk

Pizza bar 24/7 hours was only manned by one person, and never had pizza rady.

Needs a bigger Pool.

I saw where one person reported that the staff doesn't speak English, but I, along with countless othersm can assure you the staff members on board the Dream DO speak English. I didn't encounter a single worker who couldn't speak English -- not one, whether it be in the dining rooms, on deck, in the buffet line, or anywhere -- not one!! I previously read that employees actually need to pass a language test in order to get hired.

Where did you read this..sounds interesting.

All the ones I talked to spoke English, maybe with an accent, but it was still English.;)

I beg to differ. We were on this cruise and had a blast. Plenty of room for me and yes the crew DOES SPEAK ENGLISH!;)

probably because its mainly consumed after they close the bars down

Well as a New Yawker:eek:, I hope you can understand how I feel about my pizza....as we have the best there is:D

My kids like to go to the pizza station for the very reason you mention......it is open....not that they or we go after the bars close...because we are usually all sleeping way before midnight....and certainly not because it is good pizza...but just for the sheer fun of it....we love the frozen yogurt station too for the same reason. Although I do like the toppings at the frozen yogurt station.

I've moved stuff off loungers on many occasions; I don't like walking around the deck looking for 2 loungers all the while seeing 10's if not 100's with only a book and towel on them. Not once did anyone ever come back within a 1/2 hour, and if anyone ever does in the future, I will happily give them the lounger back. A half hour is fair IMO & enough time to get some food or drinks and return. A few times people have come back after an hour or two and they usually don't say a thing; they just grab their stuff and move along. Just one time did a guy totally flip out; I thought he was going to blow a circiut. He was turning red with rage; veins popping out on his forehead & screaming how I took HIS chair. I just said I didn't know what he was talking about - that it was never HIS chair. Asked him if he would like to discuss it with security. He didn't so after a few minutes of threats & storming around the lounger pretending to accidently kick it, he left too. I didn't see him for the reminder of the cruise... which was probably a good thing. :D

I like the way you think! I'd probably do the same thing. It's not fair to hold a chair for more than half an hour and I think it is quite reasonable to move somene's book or towel. and yes, if they came back within half hour I would give it back, but anymore than say 3/4 of hour I'd tell them that the books and towels were already moved before I got there. tee hee!! If they insisted , I think I'd stand my ground and say that I didn't think you were allowed to save chairs and tell them to deal with security!

Debbie

Hey, did anyone use the golf simulator on board?

I beg to differ. We were on this cruise and had a blast. Plenty of room for me and yes the crew DOES SPEAK ENGLISH!;)

Smoof: Just ignore this poster. They sound like one of the Royal Chumps that the email warned us about....coming on the Carnival Cruise Critic boards just to stir up trouble.

How sad that RCCL's reputation will be tarnished by the actions of such children.

Btw, we had a blast with you on the Dream last week. We have 3 weeks until our next cruise on the Triumph....you all should come with us!!!!

Wow! One post would have been enough but 2 is pushing it! I am getting Married on the Dream next Saturday and it will be an amazing cruise. Every vacation is what you make of it.

I am sure the Maitre D would have bent over backwards to accommodate your dining. He is the best Carnival has.

It seems your other complaints are just minor issues that you have allowed to ruin your vacation. That is your fault.

If you approach your new relationship with the same positive open mind, it will last forever, and I hope it does. Some people expect perfection in every aspect of their lives. Sorry, but that's not reality. I'm certain most married cruisers on CC will admit, there have been some rough seas in their marriage, but the voyage was worth it. I wish you the best!:)

So' date=' you've never actually cruised on Carnival then, but are relying on others comments?

Well, that seems a little silly.[/quote']

G'ma: VERY good question to Savoia.

One I would love to hear the answer to....

so I will ask it again....Savoia...have you ever sailed on a Carnival ship?

I don't consider the pool in the spa area a pool. The Dream only has two outside pools, one for families and one for adults. I posted a question on the other Dream review, and it seems that once the weather is warm and there are families on board, this one and only family pool IS going to be a problem!

Personally, I think the pools and surrounding areas on Carnival are their weakest points. Most pools are way too small and not as well appointed as most other lines.

I know I've only been on this board a very short time, but we're sailing on the Dream in January, so I appreciate the comments about the cruise. Not trying to off-topic here, but as an admirer of Jefferson I have to point out that the quotes attributed to Jefferson are not accurate. He never said either one. In fact, the first quote attributed to Jefferson was said by President Ford to a joint session of Congress in 1974 -- and no, he wasn't quoting Jefferson either. You can verify what I said by going to the Ford library and museum website.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff122881.html

The other was written in one of his :commonplace books: which are not widely published or read...but interesting all the same.

To those who are worried that service isn't up to par, let me share just a few things:

When we got on board there was a major glitch with our dining arrangements, but immediately after muster drill the maitre d' fixed it in a flash -- no problems.

When we asked to have one of the entertainers join us at dinner, they graciously set another place. Later in the week when we again asked if we could expand our table by another seat in order to fit new friends in, they were more than happy to oblige.

One evening our server accommodated a request for an additional dessert, and when she went to the kitchen and found they were out of it, the chef made up a fresh, individual serving just for us.

One of our favorite performances in the dining room is Hey Baby. It wasn't on the schedule for the week, but when they learned of our disappointment they scheduled it in. They also made sure it was performed on the night when we weren't at the supper club so we wouldn't miss it.

When I went to the gift shop to buy the Carnival pins, I found the ones available there were not the same as the traditional pins I had collected in the past. I spoke with my room steward since I knew they were available to platinum guests and he quickly talked to his supervisor and got the pins I wanted.

My sister had a special request for distilled water for her C-Pap machine and it was handled with no problems.

Our TV wasn't working for awhile and they sent someone up to fix it the same day.

One of the members in our group suffered a medical concern when a fellow passenger stepped on his foot and he needed antibiotics. The medical crew took great care of him.

It didn't matter where we went, we were always greeted with a smile and a warm welcome. I thought the service I received was fantastic and I am a very happy cruiser!!

Archived