Train to Blue Mountains and Ferry return

Is there a way to travel by train to the Blue Mountains from Sydney and return by Ferry?

My DW and traveled to the Blue Mountains a few years ago via private tour. I just did a little research and found this site: http://www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/about/howtogethere.asp

No problem traveling by train but I believe to get back via ferry you would have to catch the train partway back and then catch the ferry. I don't know which train station you would catch the ferry from. I hope this helps.

Jon

There is a rivercat from Parramatta and I think also Homebush. Parramatta station is about a 10 min (maybe 15) min walk to the rivercat sop.

I believe there is a free bus that runs from the Parramatta station to the rivercat (ferry) terminal - and vice versa.

Parramatta is as far up-river as the rvercat goes.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is just the information that I needed.

We are staying in Sydney for three days prior to the cruise to New Zealand, February 18.

We are going to the Blue Mountains on the second day.

There are eight of us traveling from Northern California. We are excited about spending time in Australia.

Thanks again,

Sue

The ferry takes an hour though and runs hourly. If you've got connections, particularly a cruise, it would be very dicey to try to co-ordinate the train back with a trip to the ferry.

Another thing you need to consider is that, during the school holidays (from now until early February), the ferry/ rivercat gets over-full and passengers are sometimes left behind, to await the next ferry - usually an hour later.

This happened to us last January. We had been staying with family near Parramatta and thought that taking the rivercat would be a good way to get to our cruise ship, for embarkation. We did not get on the ferry we had planned to, and had to wait 90 minutes for the next one. We did still get to our ship long before it departed, as we had allowed plenty of time, but we had lunch in a cafe at Parramatta, instead of on board our ship. There is a decent cafe/ restaurant right at the ferry terminal in Parramatta (and it has a bathroom).

If the rivercat is going to be very full, it is usually obvious (from the crowd) when you get to the ferry terminal at Parramatta. The staff there will make announcements to the crowd and will give out boarding passes to as many people as will be allowed on the next ferry. If you miss out, you will be given a different-coloured pass, which allows you to board the next ferry.

For anyone contemplating a day trip on the rivercat from Circular Quay to Parramatta and back, be aware that - even if you have purchased a return ticket - you will have to disembark at Parramatta and take your chances that there will be room for you to return to the city on the same boat. This is something to consider, if you have to be back at your cruise ship by a certain time.

The ferry does mostly run hourly, but there are some gaps in the timetable, when a longer wait may be necessary.

For anyone contemplating a day trip on the rivercat from Circular Quay to Parramatta and back, be aware that - even if you have purchased a return ticket - you will have to disembark at Parramatta and take your chances that there will be room for you to return to the city on the same boat. This is something to consider, if you have to be back at your cruise ship by a certain time.

I just did the return trip recently but on a day pass ($17.00 for unlimited ferries, buses and local trains) and was not made to disembark.

Also wanted to comment that we found the first 25 minutes out of Sydney very interesting with amazing houses to look at but the rest was boring with not much to look at but dirty river banks.

If I was going to do it again as a day trip out of Sydney I wouldn't bother going all the way to Paramatta. JMHO

I just did the return trip recently but on a day pass ($17.00 for unlimited ferries, buses and local trains) and was not made to disembark.

Also wanted to comment that we found the first 25 minutes out of Sydney very interesting with amazing houses to look at but the rest was boring with not much to look at but dirty river banks.

If I was going to do it again as a day trip out of Sydney I wouldn't bother going all the way to Paramatta. JMHO

I'm glad that you didn't have to disembark. However, when it is apparent that there are more passengers waiting to embark than the ferry can hold, passengers with a return ticket will be asked to disembark, so that waiting passengers can get on board. It is something to consider, if you are working to a tight time frame.

I agree that the up-river portion is not very interesting, unless you are interested in water birds. We often catch the rivercat into town - it's a leisurely way to get there - and come back on the train.

Is there a way to travel by train to the Blue Mountains from Sydney and return by Ferry?

Its not easy but it is doable. Your best bet would be to catch a train to Strathfield then change to the Northern line and catch a train to Meadowbank. It is about a 10 or 15 minute walk from Meadowbank station to the Wharf.

Seriously, I would recommend if you want to do the Blue Mountains and the ferry in one day that you take a tour. You will really be able to maximise your time

Thank you so very much! After reading your post, I believe we will take the train both directions. Do you know if the train to Blue Mountains is counted as a local train? Is so, we can use a pass.

It isn't counted as a local train for the Daytripper pass ($17). The return train fare to Katoomba is $25 and a combined rail and Blue Mountains Explorer Bus link is around $50. It is 110 km (70miles) from the city to Katoomba and takes about 2 hours on the train.

Archived