Storage in Verandah Suite

mll1013

We are looking at a category VD balcony on the Zuiderdam for our 2010 cruise to AK. We are a family of four (children ages 10 & 12) and are wondering how much storage space to plan on for our luggage? How many closets/clothes hangers will be available? How many dresser drawers? Any other nooks and crannies where we can story luggage, shoes, etc?

This question occurred to me based on this post in another thread.

We are looking at a category VD balcony on the Zuiderdam for our 2010 cruise to AK. We are a family of four (children ages 10 & 12) and are wondering how much storage space to plan on for our luggage? How many closets/clothes hangers will be available? How many dresser drawers? Any other nooks and crannies where we can story luggage, shoes, etc?

This question occurred to me based on this post in another thread.

Storage areas are pretty much the same in VD's and VF's and by sister ships.

One of the CC members, PenelopeCorelli, took some really great shots of all the storage areas in Stateroom VF 4040 on the Oosterdam. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html

I know that we had tons of space that we did not even know about until after I started the HAL Staterooms pages. Heck, this morning I even learned their are drawers under the sofas on some HAL ships!!

If you need more hangers ask the Steward and he will get you as many as you want. He can also tell you where to put things. At the foot of the bed is where they store bedding, but you can move those and use the drawers (they are huge)

We also placed our suitcases under the head and middle of the bed.

Joanie

Looks like a tight squeeze for 4. I think you will need to store stuff in your luggage. Hopefully the luggage will be able to slide out from under the bed.

There is ample space under the beds for storing luggage. Items that are used less frequently can be kept in the luggage.

There are also big drawers under the bed. Sometimes the cabin stewards store towel animals there - if so ask them to empty it for your use.

the round stool at the desk/mirror has a lid that comes off and you can put things in there as well as the drawers at the foot of the bed. Take soft-sided luggage that can fold and put suitcases within suitcases and the put these under the head of the bed.

Also, a good idea is to take net or clear plastic hanging shoe holders and use a short one in the bathroom for toiltries and a long one in the room to hold things like binoculars, cameras, belts, evening bags, socks, underwear, or what ever. Roll your clothes instead of folding them and they take up less space. For shoes, you can get a zipped clear plastic flat shoes holders that will hold 6 to 12 pairs of shoes. These are the kind that fold flat and you put the cardboard dividers in place after you unpack. This way, your shoes can stay out on the veranda but not get wet.

Take some plastic grocery bags and roll your dirty clothes and put in the bags. Tie them tightly and put on the floor at the back of your closet unless you plan to use the laundry.

Have a great trip.

Judy

One of the most useful items I take is a folding laundry hamper - cheap, light and folds flat in the suitcase. It's nice to have some place to store the dirty laundry, or take to the laundry room if you need to wash something.

The only people who will notice what you are wearing are those at your dinner table. It's okay to wear the same clothes even 3 times if you choose to - so long as they're relatively clean, few people would care if they're being worn for the second, etc., time.

When we were on Oceania, our suitcases would not fit under the bed (by a matter of less than an inch) the room steward was able to take them and store them somewhere for us, and returned them to us when the cruise was over. Are they able to do this on HAL?

When we were on Oceania, our suitcases would not fit under the bed (by a matter of less than an inch) the room steward was able to take them and store them somewhere for us, and returned them to us when the cruise was over. Are they able to do this on HAL?

They did for me when I used a hard-sided suitcase that was very large and would not fit under the bed.

Now I have soft-sided luggage, but can't get it under the bed myself. The steward always manages to do it for me. I think he has to lift up the bed to get it past the rail.

Archived