Alaska Weather in Late July/Early August

BeckyR

On average, very similar to what you had in June - just a touch warmer and a touch wetter. The weather gets more erratic every year, though, so don't make any bets (and definitely don't use last year's weather as any kind of a guide!)

Murray

Both of our Alaskan cruises were taken the last week of July and we had beautiful weather both times. Vancouver and the inside passage was in the low 70s, Juneaeu, Ketchikan and Skagway - mid-60s, nippy, but manageable during glacier days and our time in Anchorage was also about mid-60s. We even had two rain-free days in Ketchikan. Good luck.

Ketchikan receives 150-160 inches of rain per year, but July is the driest month, with only about seven inches of rain. I guess we hit the odds right, but have enjoyed two beautiful, sunshine-filled days in Ketchikan. I can highly recommend this time of year for Alaskan travel.

The weather has been a bit unpredictable this last decade, but if you are coming as far north as Anchorage, July can be quite nice. It does tend to get rainier later in the summer, however Anchorage is much drier than the panhandle. We often have termination dust (or the first snow in the Chugach Mountains) in August, though I've seen it in July, but the town is much warmer. Just bring layers, sunglasses,and enjoy! :cool:

Archived