What name do I book under?

Katiebug227

My fiance and I are planned a 5 night Canada/New England cruise on Carnival as our belated honeymoon in June. We would depart 7 weeks to the day after our April wedding.

I plan to change my name and don't know whether I should book the cruise now with my maiden name or with what it will be at the time we cruise (and with what my passport will say). We'll be using one of my credit cards, in my maiden name, to book.

I'll be sending my passport in for expedited service for the name change as soon as we get the certified copies of the marriage license. The US State Dept. says i'll have it back in 2 weeks or less for expedited service, and it could take as long as 8 weeks if I don't pay for expedited service ($60, ordinarily a name change is free). I need my passport changed to my new legal name and back to me as quickly as possible because I may need to travel overseas for work - so I would be expediting it regardless. ;)

This is our first cruise and I guess I don't want any issues with security. I was worried they wouldn't let me on board if my last name didn't match up with what it was booked as.

Book the cruise under whatever name your passport and license is going to say. If you're flying, don't forget about that too. There will be a paper trail right in your passport for name change because they do not send you a new passport and they do not even change the face page. What they do is put in the back of the passport: amended on (whatever date) for name change to .....

But life would be much easier if everything just matched up:)

Since you are booking with your credit card with maiden name...hmm. I might have your fiance use his credit card, if possible. Just to make absolutely sure everything matched. Unless he's changing his name too!

But since you are expediting, book under the name your passport will say at the time of your cruise. :)

Since you are booking with your credit card with maiden name...hmm. I might have your fiance use his credit card, if possible. Just to make absolutely sure everything matched. Unless he's changing his name too!

But since you are expediting, book under the name your passport will say at the time of your cruise. :)

Good call...I have the higher credit limit but I think we'll do it on his card if possible to avoid any possible issues.

I suppose I could bring my birth certificate, driver's license, and marriage certificate (to prove the name change), but that's just too much hassle. My passport is one little book versus three documents - and my birth certificate is somewhat fragile to begin with, so I'd be reluctant to take it anywhere outside the safe deposit box!

I guess it depends on how fast you can get your marriage certificate sent to you. I expedited mine, and still had to wait over a month to receive it. If it were me, I would probably just book under my maiden name and just wait to have all of my name changes done until after the cruise was over.

The name on the Cruise Booking must be your Legal Name at the time of the Cruise, and also the same name on your Passport Amendment.

Why not be prepared to change your name on the credit card?

You may book the Cruise with your Maiden Credit Card. However, during embarkation, you will be asked to provide a credit card for all online transactions, and the name on the card will need to match a government photo iD of the person presenting & Signing the Credit Card Authorization form.

For example, if MOM & DAD wanted to pay your Cruise Tab, and they are at the Pier with you. Mom or Dad could give them their credit card, show a photo id, and specify a line of credit, sign the authorization, and you will be all set. lol ( I can daydream, can't I?)

The name on the Cruise Booking must be your Legal Name at the time of the Cruise, and also the same name on your Passport Amendment.

Why not be prepared to change your name on the credit card?

You may book the Cruise with your Maiden Credit Card. However, during embarkation, you will be asked to provide a credit card for all online transactions, and the name on the card will need to match a government photo iD of the person presenting & Signing the Credit Card Authorization form.

The name on my credit cards will be changed by then, too. Can't change it now since I still have my maiden name. We booked with my fiance's credit card after all. Even though my maiden name will stay part of my full legal married name, we didn't want to take any chances.

We considered waiting to change my name until afterwards, but for various reasons I don't want to be waiting 2+ months after the wedding to do all that.

Now I'm worried about getting my marriage license back in time - I guess worst case scenario I get my driver's license changed (Social Security card and DL can be done in one day if needed) and then just bring a certified copy of the marriage license with me.

Archived