snorkel in belize or cozumel?

tammilee

I'm so confused! We want to have at least one good snorkel excursion on our cruise and don't know if we should give up cave tubing so we can snorkel in Belize. Or will Cozumel be almost as good? We have someone with us who has never snorkeled and really want him to have a great time. But I also know I can't go cave tubing anywhere but in Belize. I need someone to make up my mind for me. Thanks! Sailing on Elation 5/8/05.

I think you should go to the caves in Belize...I've heard a lot of great things about them...and I've seen caves before and loved them....as for snorkeling...most boats stay in Cozumel all day...not sure what line you're going on...but Cozumel is actually a great place to dive/snorkel....and if you are going to be there all day...do it in Cozumel.

I have not been snorkeling yet at either place. We've snorkeled some in Hawaii but are not experts. We leave in about 2 weeks. However I understand your dilemna. I had the same one. I wanted to snorkel in Belize in the worst way. However, the more I read, the more I searched, the more it seemed like it may not be worth it because it took so much time to go to any good spots. Plus there were things on the mainland to do. So I started looking at Cozumel and it seemed that the snorkeling there was consistently great and I would be getting more time and less stress by doing it there. So that is what I have decided. We are seeing the Lamanai ruins in Belize and going snorkeling in Cozumel. Once I decided that the trip just seemed to work a lot better. I'll be reporting on how both were!

I think you can go snorkeling almost anywhere and it will be great, but you can't go cave tubing anywhere else. Good luck

Su

Thanks so much for the info. We're definately going to do the cave tubing and I feel so much better having finally made the decision. Now to pick the tour company..... I think it'll probably be Marvin's Wet N Wild. Thanks again.

I went snorkeling in Cozumel and Belize on our 11/8 Enchantment sailing. here's the relevant info from my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=100903&highlight=11%2F8+enchantment

Cozumel Dzul Ha/Playa Mia tour

We signed up for the snorkel and beach combo here. I was very wary about snorkeling. In the past when I tried it, I always felt smothered by the mask and snorkel, and it started out that way here too. But as soon as I saw the sparkling clear water and the colorful fish, I forgot all about the breathing apparatus and had a really great time. After snorkeling in two locations, the boat took us to Playa Mia. The beach was *very* crowded, and the lunch was generic buffet food in foil trays. Also, the trip was advertised as 4 1/2 hours, but it would have taken at least six, severely limiting our shopping time. So we skipped the beach and took a cab to downtown and had lunch at Sabores on 5 Avenida between Calle 3 and Calle 5.

Belize shark ray alley/beach tour

We were taken by high-speed boat to Ambegris Caye, about an hour away, with one brief stop for a bathroom break (thank God), equipment, and waivers. Seeing Chinese food restaurants along this little strip of beach and town was discordant for some reason. After that we went by boat to an underwater preserve near the barrier reef, where we were led by the guide on a 45 minute snorkel circuit of the area. This was a little too crowded, and I got kicked a few times. Also, one very tall person decided to walk along the bottom wherever possible, which kicks up silt and kills the coral. I was initially very disappointed with the relative lack of fish compared to Cozumel, but as we approached the boat I spotted the first sting ray. After that, it was like swimming in an aquarium. I saw a group of four or fine stingrays and dove down to touch one of them. When I resurfaced, it seemed the water was full of yellowfin snapper, blue groupers, and one nurse shark, which I saw from about ten feet away. The last fifteen minutes of this swim made the rest worthy of the trip.

I would add to this that the water was more clear in Cozumel. Either way, you probably can't go wrong.

We've snorkeled in both places. It was awesome - second to none. The visibility depends on the weather no matter which place you snorkel, but the tour operators know where to go to get the best experience of the day. However, it will take more time to do it in Belize - so the caves sound like a more rewarding experience from a time standpoint, and then Cozumel is there for the snorkeling.

I'm so confused! We want to have at least one good snorkel excursion on our cruise and don't know if we should give up cave tubing so we can snorkel in Belize. Or will Cozumel be almost as good? We have someone with us who has never snorkeled and really want him to have a great time. But I also know I can't go cave tubing anywhere but in Belize. I need someone to make up my mind for me. Thanks! Sailing on Elation 5/8/05.

I must agree with everyone else. Im doing the western on Valor in May and snorkeling in Belize never even crossed my mind since we are going to Cozumel. Cozumel is by far better for snorkeling. Most ships are in port 12hrs, so this is a great port to snorkel, then have a late lunch, shop and hit the nightlife. Very easy city to get around in. We have plans to do cave tubing in Belize and will most likely book with a private tour company, just make sure you are getting back in plenty of time before the boat leaves as they will not wait for you unless you are on there shore excursion. Always carry the number to the cruiseline with you in all ports of call.

Thanks again everyone! Hearing first hand from people who have been there and done it is so helpful. I've cruised maybe 6 times and this is the first time on these boards. I never knew they existed. There are a great resource and I will report back on our trip. Can't wait. :)

Archived